andreweden

Best ground based exercise for core strength?

I have started doing some freefly coach jumps and managed to get 30 mins of tunnel time before leaving the USA (unfortunately no tunnel in Australia).

Been learning heaps but am realising one (of many) of my weaknesses is actually core strength.

What exercise routine/activity will do me the most good? I work out 3-4 times a week with mixed cardio/weights and run 2-3 times a week as well. I am fit, but not apparently 'freefly fit'.

Non-skydivers have suggested yoga (are they taking the piss?)

Cheers,

Andrew

I'm not a trainer, but I do read a lot of articles that mention the "plank" as a good core exercise.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I am thinking you are doing enough of that for both of us :ph34r:;)

Your tunnel instructors may be beating your ass now, but enough time practicing these exercises and you'll be beating them off with both hands!
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

I work out 3-4 times a week with mixed cardio/weights and run 2-3 times a week as well.

Something doesn't add up here. If you work out 3-4 times a week you should be training your core enough.

Are you doing deadlifts, squats, cleans, presses? anything similar while standing? Those will all work your core.. also supplement with a good ab workout every other day..

If you want an out of the box solution, youtube "Ab Ripper X" and give that a go..

I would start with more calories. You sound a bit weak. Core strength can also be diverted to mental strength. Do you feel strong in the air? How come you dont push down harder when you sit? Freefly more when you can afford it and do a great amount of tunnel time and you wont be happier. You'll come around. Just drink more water man. I agree, if you are working out 3-4 times a week and still feel weak, then you are not progressing. Get what Bones has up there. No joke.

trust me - calories are not a problem. I fight to keep the weight off. used to be 90lbs heavier.
Perhaps what I mean is I lack the finer control I find I need for the freefly. I can do sit-ups or brute force ab work. Its the finer control of getting the right back position and that not coupling into changing my leg position/shoulders etc.

perhaps I just need to keep practicing, I might be expecting too much too soon.

as for more tunnel time - alas New Zealand I think is the nearest one now.

I have told my trainer I want to focus some more on core - so I will see what he comes up with.

Try slow and controlled reps. BTW, do you have equal strength on both legs? If not, exercise one leg at a time until you match strength.
Talk to the physical trainer of you gym and explain what you want, he may recommend specific exercises.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Simon I always wondered what you were doing - visualization I guess - because I never saw you with one of those dohickies in your hands.

From what I hear his dohickie is in his hand quite often.......But I'll tell ya, I like playing with his balls.:P

@Simon...see ya at the beach!

Dude, freeflying is almost effortless with the right technique..
It's not your core strength, it's technique... get more jumps in and more experience, and you'll see for yourself.

Don't forget to have fun!

Cya,

Mike

Core strength and flexibility can have a direct effect on your technique.

If you are near Sydney, book an hour with dimitri at the Olympic Park Gymnastics facility he is amazing, he is a skydiver but most importantly he used to coach the Russian/soviet olympic gymnasics team.

He showed us probably the best core strength excecise you can do, simply lie on the ground and roll over slowly and continually keeping your hips as the only point of contact, arms straight out above your head. your shoulders, feet and knees should not touch the ground during the motion.

It is simple but do it for 1 minute and your core is buggered, roll one way for a while then the other. the rolling motion moves the emphasis through all the core muscle groups.

he was inspirational to watch, ever seen someone bounce on a trampoline while doing a handstand?

he is/was $120 an hour. he will teach you layouts and twists etc etc. well worth the education for at least one session.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix