AUSkyguy

Time to Set a Georgia State Record

I'd travel for it, If I knew it were going to be organized well. We did the VA, NC, and SC records this year, but the ONLY thing that made them successful were SOLID organizers.

So Yeah I can think of several folks from NC who would travel to support a Georgia Record, if you had a good organizer lined up.

we were, but not enough people that could fly on their heads showed up.
Best we had was 6-8 ways on firday. Then Simon got hurt and a couple more couldnt be there for the weekend.
If we get good fliers i'll make sure it will happen.

As of now we have Chris Martin, Todd Sellers, Brad Hunt, Melanie Johnson, Dave Jenkins, Whitney Garner, Greg Compton, Travis and Brie Stewart, Warren Clearry, Sunman (he should be able to stay on his head long enough!) me.
Thats 12.

Bring over Junior, Frank and Vitally from ASC. thats 15.

who else is going to be there?
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

What about Ben Griswald at the Farm?

You can count me in if the Event is for SURE, the dates are FIRM, and those folks are committed to attending.

I think if you have a decent orgainizer lined up I could talk folks into coming down from NC. Jen Shaben, Joe Abelin, Reese Pendleton, Nancy Koreen, Ivan Catillion, and maybe a couple Tunnel Rats. Not all those folks I'm sure but atleast a few would commit.

What about him?

You can count me in if the Event is for SURE, the dates are FIRM, and those folks are committed to attending.
The one's I listed are coming.

I think if you have a decent orgainizer lined up I could talk folks into coming down from NC.

I'm organizing the jump. If you can fly it it will happen.

Jen Shaben, Joe Abelin, Reese Pendleton, Nancy Koreen, Ivan Catillion, and maybe a couple Tunnel Rats. Not all those folks I'm sure but atleast a few would commit.

I know Nancy, the rest I dont.
we will have to do warm up jumps to figure out who will be on and who wont. I don't like zoo dives! if i dont feel you can be on it you wont be on.
bring your costume and bring it on freefliers! :)
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I think you'll find all those names on this certification. A camp would not be necessary. Those mofos are VIP ;)

what camp?

Damn Simon! I didn't know your elbow turned out that bad! Holy shit dude. Dave is right, all we had at skyfest were a few solid flyers and a bunch of zoomers. That won't be the case this time, I'm not playing target again. ;) If we can get the ASC guys to come over (don't forget Kenny P. and Chuck Owen if he's in the state) we'll have a solid crew and can eliminate any zoomers. If you NC guys will come down it'll be even better. The dates will be SOLID and the event CONFIRMED if that's what you are worried about. Come down and we'll get this thing set!

-Chris Martin

Yeah Confirmation is my concern. I'm a family man now.......So traveling that far and on Halloween weekend means that It's gotta be a sure thing.

Hoping the warm ups will be on Friday, and the record attempts Saturday.

I would have to leave by 11am Sunday, to get back to Raleigh in time for Trick or Treating. I wasn't kidding about the Dad stuff.

I think I can explain to you why you're having trouble getting a GA state record together, and I really hope I can do so without offense being taken.

If you want people to show up for your freefly events, you have to show up to theirs.

In 2010, VA, NC, and SC all set new head down state records, mostly because people in VA, NC, SC showed up to each others events. SC is only one state up, but nobody from GA showed up to the new 14way state record. Shit, when we did the 23 way Texas state head down record, even when announced publicly right here, nobody from GA showed up (yet we had a showing from VA). Earlier this year I drove alone 12 hours straight from Houston to GA to go freefly, and drove alone 12 hours straight back with a broken arm, but not one person from GA showed up to the TX state record event.

This situation is very easily highlighted when Dave responded:

(In Reply To)
Jen Shaben, Joe Abelin, Reese Pendleton, Nancy Koreen, Ivan Catillion, and maybe a couple Tunnel Rats. Not all those folks I'm sure but atleast a few would commit.()

we will have to do warm up jumps to figure out who will be on and who wont.

All those folks were the ones doing the VA, NC, and SC state records (and even TX). GA doesn't know them because GA hasn't been showing up to anybody else's freefly events. These guys have several state records under their belts and could teach GA a lot about getting a state record together, but what's the incentive? To go visit those who didn't show up to their events?

Really, no offense, but you want a big showing for your freefly event but don't know anybody just a couple hours away who have been organizing state records in each others states all year long.

I hope you are able to get a giant state record together, but in the future, I hope you're willing to make the drive to even an SC event and actually get to know the other freeflyers around you instead of just hyping up on dz.com and praying for a showing. It's a lot easier to get to know the folks in the other states, then pick up the phone and call up your new network of freefly buddies and personally invite them to a record event. I think this is the kind of thing Harry P was talking about when he discussed "serious organizing".

This year alone, I've been to freefly events in FL, AZ, IL, SC, CO, TX, and GA. In the next few weeks I'll be hitting up VA and CA as well. I know from first hand experience that doing your best to show up to someone else's event, even if it means driving straight overnight by yourself, gives people a much stronger reason to reciprocate.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

No offense taken since im from AL but do note:

-Ga flyers ( the few that exist) do know some of these people-- this year ive flown, jumped with, or met nancy, jen, reese, ivan, earl, sel, derek, reese, etc.

-Ga DID travel to other freefly events-- Ben G was on the NC record, i was in town( w 2 more ga flyers) but made it late on saturday( the plan was the keep building it but nothing happened on Sunday before the tunnel boogie), We have also been to other XP weekends at raeford. This past weekend I went to Sebastian for Luis' event( 9 hour solo drive each way), and will be setting a state record in December in Sebastian. For carolinafest I was supposed to house Ivan and Steve V but ended up getting super sick in raeford the week before the boogie. Ga does travel, or at least I do.

-like you Simon, I have also been to stuff in AZ,NC, GA, and FL none of which were my home state

-TX record was the same weekend as Skyfest at the Farm. Ga's only freeflyers are there, so that is why no one showed up for the TX record.

Personally, i think it would just be easier to have an open forum for stuff going on around the South. NOT dz.com. A facebook group like AZ vfs would suffice. The South isn't cali but there are enough talented flyers for everyone to be coming together and doing good things regularly. I cant speak for the state of GA but I am definitely game to travel and do some quality jumps next season. Ga would be a great meeting place for tx, fl, and northerners. Todd is my name and 251 - six eight nine- two seven three seven is my number

What about him?

The one's I listed are coming.

I think if you have a decent orgainizer lined up I could talk folks into coming down from NC.

I'm organizing the jump. If you can fly it it will happen.

Jen Shaben, Joe Abelin, Reese Pendleton, Nancy Koreen, Ivan Catillion, and maybe a couple Tunnel Rats. Not all those folks I'm sure but atleast a few would commit.

we will have to do warm up jumps to figure out who will be on and who wont. I don't like zoo dives! if i dont feel you can be on it you wont be on.
bring your costume and bring it on freefliers! :)

Not a Real Warm and Fuzzy Vibe I'm getting here. Guess I'll sit this one out, and save on the gas money.

See you in VA Simon.