jenomegle

Learning to backfly

Hi fellow jumpers!

I currently have 36 jumps (newbie- I know!) and I wanted to try my hand at learning to backfly. I'm trying to save my money for next season, so I wanted to try backflying on my own (without an instructor). Do you guys think that's a bad idea?

I jump with a Navigator 200.

Hi fellow jumpers!

I currently have 36 jumps (newbie- I know!) and I wanted to try my hand at learning to backfly. I'm trying to save my money for next season, so I wanted to try backflying on my own (without an instructor). Do you guys think that's a bad idea?

I jump with a Navigator 200.

You can do it for a WHOLE lot less by getting to a Tunnel.

Tunnel time is about 1/2 the cost and its well worth the money to get a coach and learn there. It is the FIRST thing they teach you when you start to learn to freefly in the Tunnel. If you do it on your own.... well I like to refer to people who do that and are stuck in the FREE FLAIL stage of skydiving as freeflalers. In the tunnel.. you will "get it" just that much sooner... and you will also be on your way to sitflying just that much sooner.

I'm trying to save my money for next season, so I wanted to try backflying on my own (without an instructor). Do you guys think that's a bad idea?

Based on your responses to the questions about gear, I would suggest it's a very bad idea. You seem to lack some basic understanding of the gear and possible gear issues, so you have to wonder if you are missing any other 'basic' information.

There is a lot to learn from instructors without having to actually jump with them. I would be very surprised if your AFF instructors were not willing to help with some basic skills pointers and planning a solo skydive, free of charge. You'll make the jump on your own, but the idea and the planning can be handled with the assistance of an instructor. In addition to helping to ensure your safety, you'll also learn more about proper planning and gear selection for your future jumps.

not a good idea at all to ff in a student rig, might want to look into getting your own gear or some tunnel time.

Not always so, my DZ has V3's that are FF friendly, but the OP needs to find out what the container is that the DZ has for "student gear".
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

not a good idea at all to ff in a student rig, might want to look into getting your own gear or some tunnel time.

Not always so, my DZ has V3's that are FF friendly, but the OP needs to find out what the container is that the DZ has for "student gear".

+1

the 3 Dz's that are close to me ALL jump Infinities for their student gear.. and all the student gear I have seen there is modern... and FF friendly

There's a difference between "falling on your back" and "backflying"
So I ask you, how do you know the difference if there's no one there to tell you and show you what you are doing - get instruction. cheaper way to learn.
My instructor when I was doing AFF in NZ suggested exit on my back, and "just get on your belly here and there to check where you are going" " Go on your back so that you don't think belly is the normal position " " Good progression to do so you can go sit.. "