morris

Speedskydivers around?

What's your personal best speed record?

The record...is 421.81 KPH in 2008 at the World Cup Meet. That is the official Womens American record:)
I am only 20 KPH or so off the world record... I will get there.. after I get my shoulder put back together.[:/]

Those speeds you see are averages.. from about 8900' down to 5500' so if you are doing 200 MPH... at the top of that,, many of us are doing well over 300 MPH at the bottom. Its all about the average of 2 Pro-Tracks that have to be within a very narrow margin of each other on each jump... they also take an average of 3 jumps that all have to stay within "bounds"

My fastest recorded at the bottom of a dive so far( the high point on the graph in Jump Track.. the L&B software we use to download the information from our protracks, is 325.47 MPH

The more I´m trying speed myself, the more I´m impressed by those numbers!
Your topspeed of 325mph+ is...!!!
...and the need to be that fast at the bottom end for "just" a ~420km/h average...
Now I´d really like to know what topspeeds have been reached/flown during male-worldrecordruns where the averages have been in the range of your personal topspeed.
Any idea? Any numbers?

The more I´m trying speed myself, the more I´m impressed by those numbers!
Your topspeed of 325mph+ is...!!!
...and the need to be that fast at the bottom end for "just" a ~420km/h average...
Now I´d really like to know what topspeeds have been reached/flown during male-worldrecordruns where the averages have been in the range of your personal topspeed.
Any idea? Any numbers?

I have no idea... 350+ I am sure... it also depends on how stable you managed to stay between 13500 and 5500 and how fast you managed to accelerate out of the plane. I would live to see Christian Labharts or Marco's Jump track graphs over the last couple years.. since they have started posting those 500KPH+ averages. I need to see if I can download the meet results from the last couple of years.

I did 281 on my 91st jump, neptune mounted outside my helmet. think i would like to go after this record.

Its all about holding it and a continuous acceleration... and the AVERAGE speed for the whole jump.

Its fun shit... but getting wonky at speed..... makes for some VERY interesting skydives:ph34r::ph34r:

I did 281 on my 91st jump, neptune mounted outside my helmet. think i would like to go after this record.

Its all about holding it and a continuous acceleration... and the AVERAGE speed for the whole jump.

Its fun shit... but getting wonky at speed..... makes for some VERY interesting skydives:ph34r::ph34r:

Average speed!?!?! ha guess im not even close.

Wellll you should work on that... its fun stuff reaching for that .5 Mach number:)

Wellll you should work on that... its fun stuff reaching for that .5 Mach number:)

Where do you have your altimeter mounted? i currently have a hand mounted one, and dont like it there b.c i cant see it without ruining my position.

Where do you have your altimeter mounted? i currently have a hand mounted one, and dont like it there b.c i cant see it without ruining my position.

I have a L&B Protrack mounted inside my helmet as well as an L&B Pro Dytter mouned on the other side. Both of the audibles are set to go off at 5500' 4500' and 2500'

The official Pro Tracks are mounted on the side of my rig close to center mass as required by the rules.

My Altimaster Galaxy is still on my wrist.. and I do not look at it during the dive.

Basically you are turning what is normally a 60 to 65 second skydive into a 40 to 45 second skydive. Any kinds of visual clues are my backups to the audibles. I do change the batteries on them a bit more frequently. I AM relying on the audibles to back each other up so I am not looking at an altimeter OH and I use 2 closing loops on my main as well. Both of those things are immportant to me as a bit of redundancy to prevent the inevitable Feces Occurs moments. ITs risk management that I am comfortable with.

What's your personal best speed record?

mchamp, check out #40 on this list. 421 km/h - roughly 260 MPH. :o

i'm used to be into this kind of flying. i'm number #10 on that list

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

This seems like a stupid question but do you need to be a proficient headdown freeflier to get into this?

I attempted a solo headdown recently, it was an absolute flailing mess but the neptune still clocked me at 367 km/hr. I thought it was a glitch at first, does that sound right?

This seems like a stupid question but do you need to be a proficient headdown freeflier to get into this?

I attempted a solo headdown recently, it was an absolute flailing mess but the neptune still clocked me at 367 km/hr. I thought it was a glitch at first, does that sound right?

You need to be proficient at assuming a body position that creates the least amount of drag. Think of it as going into a track with your feet together toes pointed and then de-arching while keeping your arms plastered next to your body or as I do.. grabbing my leg straps so my arms do not flail. I use the very slightest movements of my legs and feet to maintain stability.

The idea is to go straight down from 13500' to 5500' ... simplicity at its best:)
If I do get unstable... I arch a bit and spread my legs out forcing me back into a track to get stability back.
If you do get unstable and are flippig around the sky out of control DO NOT throw your arms out or try to go to a flat belly stable.. you can seriously hurt yourself doing that at those speeds.

Thanks!
What about booties on a rel suit, would they interfere with stability?

I have a fairly tight fitting slick suit.... with booties.. Think of a badminton bird... it gives me a little more control.

I tried speed diving with tights... and spandex.... uh.. yeah... not so easy to stay stable.:D

but the neptune still clocked me at 367 km/hr. I thought it was a glitch at first, does that sound right?

We realised that any wrist or helmetmounted "speedmeasuringdevice" will very likely deliver wrong (=way too fast) readings as any movement of hand or head will change the airflow around the device all in a sudden, creating those misreadings, especially for the topspeed. The average speed is not that much affected (but a little bit as well as the too high topspeed is bringing the average up).
We´ve been running a speedcomp for fun all season long in 2010. We´ve not been looking for the average but the topspeeds.
The most extrem misreading we had during that season was a helmetmounteddevice that came up with a topspeed of 411km/h while the two official red speed pro tracks, mounted by ISSA-rules, gave a topspeedaverage result of just 278km/h!
This gives an impression that you are likely way slower than you think you are if you are relying on helmet or wristmounted devices...

the top speed readings are basically useless. people used to get supersonic and negative speeds. the more you flail the higher your top speed will be. we used to have pro-tracks mounted on ankles and people used to do a kick at the end of the dive to get a spike on the graph.

so when someone tells me they got ~300 mph on their audible as top speed i just chuckle.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

the top speed readings are basically useless. people used to get supersonic and negative speeds. the more you flail the higher your top speed will be. we used to have pro-tracks mounted on ankles and people used to do a kick at the end of the dive to get a spike on the graph.

so when someone tells me they got ~300 mph on their audible as top speed i just chuckle.

I love seeing those too;)

Those are the people that need to compete and find out what it takes to really get to those kinds of speeds.

You know that when you take those averages from the Pro-Tracks over the measured kilometer and graph the results in competition, you have to be exceeding 300MPH to get those averages that are approaching or exceeding 300MPH/500KPH