morris

Speedskydivers around?

Has anyone here done a high altitude speed skydive from above 15k? Perhaps 30k? ;)

I did one from 21k... the problem is... you get used to a speed skydive of a certain duration.... and since you are not looking at the ground or an altimeter... it was unnerving waiting for the Protrack and ProDytter in my helmet to go off at 5500..
Completely blew my concentration.. I have not tried that since...

The rules for comp are pretty specific about altitudes, so going higher would just be for grins

Lets clickiefy that link

I would love to go... but I don't think I will make it there this year.

I will be trying to get an event here in the US during 2012, I would love to see a bunch of new faces in speed competition. I would especially like to see all those ANVILS out there who think they can fall really fast to show up and see just how fast they really are:)
We will need to have a venue where weather is not going to be a challenge and certainly not the hot humid event we had the last few competitions we had here in the USA

We need someplace with comparable weather and field elevation to when they set all those records in Europe a couple years ago.:):)

Stay tuned:)

Hi Amazon, we did it!
Great turn out and the best of the best attending!
I´ve been told that years ago there was a SpeedSkydiving-event in France that combined real speedskydivers and wingsuitpilots shooting for speed in one competition.
If we´re taking that competition into account we pulled off the second biggest speedcomp ever on the first try.
If you don´t count the wingsuitpilots it was even the biggest speedcomp ever...
The event saw a russian record and a german female record being established.
In addition a new german record (male/overall) has been set.
The worlds fastest speeders posted several incredible rounds, exceeding 500km/h average speed, fastest average speed was about 320mph (514 km/h).
Next year its going to be even bigger.
Would be awesome if you´d be able to come over and join us!

Hi Amazon, we did it!
Great turn out and the best of the best attending!
I´ve been told that years ago there was a SpeedSkydiving-event in France that combined real speedskydivers and wingsuitpilots shooting for speed in one competition.
If we´re taking that competition into account we pulled off the second biggest speedcomp ever on the first try.
If you don´t count the wingsuitpilots it was even the biggest speedcomp ever...
The event saw a russian record and a german female record being established.
In addition a new german record (male/overall) has been set.
The worlds fastest speeders posted several incredible rounds, exceeding 500km/h average speed, fastest average speed was about 320mph (514 km/h).
Next year its going to be even bigger.
Would be awesome if you´d be able to come over and join us!

That is some great news... congrats on a successful meet. Great times in the sky too..

I will have to see how the shoulder is healing.... I still have issues with it dislocating and the stress of pulling out of a speed dive could be far more interesting than I would like.

It sucks to get old and decrepit... especially when you get some unwanted help to destroy your shoulder.:(

In my 23rd jump (exit@12k, using neptune2 audible and galaxy ) after simple routine, i kept tracking and assumed a way more streamlined position, i held the position and felt a more intense wind pressure on my face and body until 4500, after landing and taking of the gear saw the vigil2 indicate 294 km/h!!!!! My fastest speed so far! :o
Prior jumps were around 243km/h without any desires of getting higher speeds.

Anyways, Of course i liked the feeling! Any experience on how to properly and safely train speedskydiving? :)

Cheers.

In my 23rd jump (exit@12k, using neptune2 audible and galaxy ) after simple routine, i kept tracking and assumed a way more streamlined position, i held the position and felt a more intense wind pressure on my face and body until 4500, after landing and taking of the gear saw the vigil2 indicate 294 km/h!!!!! My fastest speed so far! :o
Prior jumps were around 243km/h without any desires of getting higher speeds.

Anyways, Of course i liked the feeling! Any experience on how to properly and safely train speedskydiving? :)

Cheers.

That is a respectable start. :)
BUT.. you need to get a good full face helmet... I know feeling that wind on the face thing is cool.. BUT the noise can and will overpower the alerts from your audibles in your open face helmet. If you do not hear those warnings you can go low as I did when I did not hear the first alert at 5500 feet and the 4500 Ft was the first one I heard. I normally pull out of the dive and into a track at 5500 to turn the speed to lateral instead of vertical. I ended up getting my 3rd alert at 2500 thinking it was my second... so at 2000 ft I was still going way to fast when I deployed.

That opening rocked my world.. and blew 5 lines and a cell on my Triathlon, and since that ugly lookin thing was not landable I opted for a cutaway and my reserve.

I use two audibles in my helmet, a Pro-Track and a Pro-Dytter as a backup to give me a bit of a cushion to make sure I hear something to let me know that its TIME to do something about saving my life.

You cant really rely on the normal time you have gotten used to on a speed dive. You are turning a 60 second skydive into roughly a 40 second skydive. Stay safe and get good gear and make sure all of it is in very good condition. The wind at those speed can and will find any weaknesses like thinks not tucked in very very well.

Hi,

good post so far! i am just wondering how the body weight of the skydivers affect his/her speed? if it does, are there weight classes? (i don't seem to see that it is the case)

I would imagine that a weight vest would keep the center of gravity more towards the ground than a belt and could do the trick.

PS: I am just having a huge amount of fun going fully vertical :D

Hi,

good post so far! i am just wondering how the body weight of the skydivers affect his/her speed? if it does, are there weight classes? (i don't seem to see that it is the case)

I would imagine that a weight vest would keep the center of gravity more towards the ground than a belt and could do the trick.

PS: I am just having a huge amount of fun going fully vertical :D

The rules specifically exclude added weight for ISSA competitions.

No weights are allowed for the competition. Any gear or modifications are subject to review by race commission and if found dangerous may be prohibited to use in the competition. Once in effect for the season, speed skydiving rules may not be changed

You do see guys jumping in very very tight vinyl suits that leave nothing to the imagination;) but otherwise you will just see normal everyday skydiving gear in use.

We really do not have weight classes and I think its more about body position and practice practice practice, than it is about someones weight. I think I am at a disadvantage because I am not as aerodynamic:):) as some of the other competitors like Stan ( Staso) and many others who are fit and trim and still rack up high top speeds. The ISSA rules also call for normal altitude exit of >13000 ft or
I feel the need... THE NEED FOR SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED:D:D

that clarifies it :-)
some further thoughts:
- even in a perfectly streamlined body position, the rig is generating a large amount of drag. can rigs be made out of vinyl-like fabrics to further reduce drag? and do smaller rigs help go faster too?
- are shoe covers allowed? i guess shoe laces are not welcomed :-)

that clarifies it :-)
some further thoughts:
- even in a perfectly streamlined body position, the rig is generating a large amount of drag. can rigs be made out of vinyl-like fabrics to further reduce drag? and do smaller rigs help go faster too?
- are shoe covers allowed? i guess shoe laces are not welcomed :-)

I am not one for jumping handkerchiefs but the smaller the reserve and main, the smaller the container, the less drag ... theoretically. The new reserves that are less bulky with the new materials would help with that.

I dont think you would find any slick material for rigs that would be approved under various TSO's, and could be approaching a need for the ISSA Board to approve such a change since its not exactly common usage for mainstream skydivers.

I always thought that a full face helmet built for Beldar or Prymaat would be a great option, even if it would be a hazard to your neck if you got unstable( and you WILL get unstable at some point while going really fast) but again its not exactly something most skydivers would use so it would be outside the normal skydive gear rules:)

OH Staso and I both have tight suits.. with bootie to cover the shoes. Booties are very common skydiving kit...:ph34r:

I´m still very far from being a speedexpert. But I already know that at those speeds, weight isn´t really of importance anymore. As more weight will only help you on a "linear-basis", the increase of drag is squared. For that reason someone with little weight but small shoulders might be even doing better, at least he (she) would be able to do so/has no significant disadvantage. It´s really about the pilot at those speeds!

Do you guys reach TV in a speed skydive and if so, anybody got any figures? (assuming that you can actually get accurate figures)

Also, just out of curiosity, is there any reason why nobody goes feet down? is it just less aerodynamic?

Figures.... http://gssdb.speedskydiving.eu/hall_of_fame.php?links=off

Terminal velocity.... well kinda relative for each individual and how well someone flies on a given dive to minimize drag and being able to hold the body position.

Think about this....for doing a dive in a stand.... how long do you think you can hold a stand... headdown for most people is a far easier position for stability.

Getting unstable and doing an inadvertent "transition" from one position to another.... at these speeds... hurts as you get tossed around the sky like a freaking rag doll.B|

Think about this....for doing a dive in a stand.... how long do you think you can hold a stand...

Beautiful Marianne:$ jumped in a stand at the time

119 Marianne Cotrin World Cup 2002 meeting - Switzerland - Bottens - 14/16 Sep 2002 - Round 5 367.81 NR

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM