Throttlebender

Learn To Freefly DVD series

So pretty much you're asking people to infringe on someone else's intellectual property rights by burning some DVD's and selling them to you at a reduced cost?

I seriously hope no one considers helping this dude steal someone else's IP.[/repl

That's fine. I'll rescind the request for a burned copy.
And I'm certain you've never asked anyone to burn a CD or DVD of any sort for you and never accepted a mixed "tape" from a friend.......right[:/]

Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

And I'm certain you've never asked anyone to burn a CD or DVD of any sort for you and never accepted a mixed "tape" from a friend.......right[:/]

Dude, it's a little different when a lot of us happen to know the guy who put the series together (Joao Tambor) and whose pocket you would be picking with your request.

Dude, it's a little different when a lot of us happen to know the guy who put the series together (Joao Tambor) and whose pocket you would be picking with your request.

Well, it's always gonna be someone's pocket that's being "picked" whether you know them or not.

If I were in the market for a mountain bike and you had an old one for sale, wouldn't that be denying the bike maker a new sale? What about any used item that a person no longer wants? Is it alright for someone to sell their copies if they are getting out of the sport or feel they no longer need them?

I completely understand looking out for a friend's interests, but where do you draw the line? When is it ok and when is it not? And who decides?

Why not consider to buy a brand new copy (I have one too)?
It is well worth the price and the money goes to a world class skydiver and tunnel instructor.
Considering the money we spend on coaching and jumps I think the investment for the DVD's are worth it and cheaper than a mountain bike.

Also there is always the Classifieds section on that page.

blues,
Marcus

Well, it's always gonna be someone's pocket that's being "picked" whether you know them or not.

If I were in the market for a mountain bike and you had an old one for sale, wouldn't that be denying the bike maker a new sale? What about any used item that a person no longer wants?

Not a valid comparison. Only one person at a time can use a mountain bike or any physical item. At any one time, all the items in use must have been sold from the manufacturer at one time.

By contrast, you can copy a single DVD many different times and distribute it. If everyone did what you do, the manufacturer would only get compensated for a small handful of sales.

I completely understand looking out for a friend's interests, but where do you draw the line? When is it ok and when is it not? And who decides?

How about when it's a skydiver investing their time and money into making a product they might be able to sell 500 or 1000 copies of at best?

This isn't a big Hollywood production that 100's of people made a livable salary to produce, and select people and a studio made considerable profits on.

This isn't a CD that a band released, where additional circulation creates a larger fan base who will buy future CDs and attend live shows.

Where do I draw the line? There's a big fat one between skydivers and the rest of the world. There's not that many people on my side of that line, and it's not tough to treat them the right way.

If I were in the market for a mountain bike and you had an old one for sale, wouldn't that be denying the bike maker a new sale? What about any used item that a person no longer wants? Is it alright for someone to sell their copies if they are getting out of the sport or feel they no longer need them?

I can't believe anybody would actually compare a used bike to a pirated copy of a DVD.
You are attempting to compare something tangible to something that's not. A used original copy is not the same as a pirated copy.
Quit being a cheap ass and go buy the series. Skydiving is not a cheap sport. I have all four (Backfly,Sitfly,Transitions, Headdown) and watch them quite often. They are all very good.

OK OK...I surrender:P

Good points guys. But in the end I don't really think it's any different. The bottom line is that a manfacturer is making one less sale on any item, tangible or not, whether you know him or not, whether it's in your sport or not every time someone buys used or copied.

I wasn't trying to start a fight then or now. I'm just trying to save a little money where I can in a seemingly endless sea of expense. No offense intended.
But think about the rationale being used the next time you buy anything that's not brand new. It gets hazy rather quickly.

Enjoy your videos guys.

Good points guys. But in the end I don't really think it's any different. The bottom line is that a manfacturer is making one less sale on any item, tangible or not, whether you know him or not, whether it's in your sport or not every time someone buys used or copied.

I wasn't trying to start a fight then or now. I'm just trying to save a little money where I can in a seemingly endless sea of expense. No offense intended.
But think about the rationale being used the next time you buy anything that's not brand new. It gets hazy rather quickly.

Enjoy your videos guys.

You are missing the point. There is no issue with buying used set of DVD's. There is a big issue with buying illegal copies of the DVD's and that is one of the options you requested. Very tacky and wrong. The people involved in the making of those DVD's most likely frequent this website. Just imagine yourself being on their end this deal!

The skydiving community is pretty small and you just made yourself look like an asshole.

Enjoy your videos guys.

You are missing the point. There is no issue with buying used set of DVD's. There is a big issue with buying illegal copies of the DVD's and that is one of the options you requested. Very tacky and wrong. The people involved in the making of those DVD's most likely frequent this website. Just imagine yourself being on their end this deal!

The skydiving community is pretty small and you just made yourself look like an asshole.

No, I get it. That's why I rescinded the request for a burned copy.

Copyright nazis are strong in this one... "Stay away from the dark side boy!! You can't imagine the powers they poses!" :P

I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

So to get back on subject... Are these DVD's actually good? It seems like they would have to be really in depth to be any use, since there is no actual jumping, and feedback from the jump included in watching a DVD series. Obviously the goal should be to go apply what you learn in the DVDs. It seems like the more cost effective way would be to go make some jumps with people who can teach you, the individual. So who's watched them, and what do you think?

I have them all. The videos are very fast paced, not staying on any specific point for long. Watch each vid at normal speed first, mostly for audio, then for a better look at specific areas, watch pieces of the vids in slow motion for the techniques.
Life is short ... jump often.

If I were in the market for a mountain bike and you had an old one for sale, wouldn't that be denying the bike maker a new sale? What about any used item that a person no longer wants?

Not a valid comparison. Only one person at a time can use a mountain bike or any physical item. At any one time, all the items in use must have been sold from the manufacturer at one time.

By contrast, you can copy a single DVD many different times and distribute it. If everyone did what you do, the manufacturer would only get compensated for a small handful of sales.

My fucking mountain bike is jammed in the copier...
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

My fucking mountain bike is jammed in the copier...

You must use tray 3 for mountain bikes and washing machines, trays 1 and 2 jam. RTFM!!! :P
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne