Bodhisattva420

Anyone freeflying a Dolphin container?

I said i was fixing to start freeflying, not that I am. I want to get another 50 to100 jumps before I start. That will put me around 125 to 160 or so jumps, in which time I won't be able to afford another rig. That's why I wanted to make sure it is freeflyable.

And I trust the rigger who assembled my rig and I trust him when he tells me it is safe to freefly.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I said i was fixing to start freeflying, not that I am. I want to get another 50 to100 jumps before I start. That will put me around 125 to 160 or so jumps, in which time I won't be able to afford another rig. That's why I wanted to make sure it is freeflyable.

And I trust the rigger who assembled my rig and I trust him when he tells me it is safe to freefly.

Good decision and as for trusting the rigger.... again its your call but most would not free fly with that rig including myself. Again, I am not trying to bust your balls just giving you my honest opinion. If you like it keep it, if you don't send it right back. :P

Be safe out there and really make sure your canopies fill the rig well especially the main.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

pack a few rigs look at and examine some gear for your self notice the riser, pin, and bridle protection. look at the same things on your rig compare and then think about it .......

see photos

if altico can make your rig safer over all by installing tabs, embroidering a big cock and balls on the dolphin or whatever they're going to do.....then why the fuck didn't they just do it before they sold the rig to begin with

they do now (the dolphin may as well be a cock and balls).

i think all of the problems you mention have been addressed with the new dolphin containers. here are pics of my brand new dolphin.

edited to add: i have vse mini risers so the toggles are not velcro toggles.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

embroidering a big cock and balls on the dolphin or whatever they're going to do.....then why the fuck didn't they just do it before they sold the rig to begin with

I guess they followed your advice.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Yea I freefly a Dolphin with tucktabs... I've done a bunch of headdown exits/sit flying with no problems. I've had a few people make a few comments... but nobody has strictly said "DON'T FF THAT THING!" I just check it over really well right before I jump.
Don't worry... I'll stay out of the incident reports

You 'might' be able to freefly in a Dolphin. If the mods work like their supposed to, you shouldn't have any problems. They do address the concerns for freeflying, but that's only if they work.

Whoever brought up secondary riser covers, let's remember that the Javelin doesn't come with secondary riser covers, and I know at least one top VRW team jumps Javelins.

Speaking of no secondary riser covers, pick yourself up a good set of velcroless risers (Infinty makes a nice riser). If your tuck tab should pop open, and your riser sneaks out, it's really no big deal unless your toggle comes unstowed. Velcroless toggles are far more secure than velcro toggles.

Make sure you get a fresh BOC pouch, and the extra birdle protection. If you have zero exposed bridle, you have zero problems (or at least the same problems as other 'freefly friendly' rigs).

Speaking of bridle problems, make sure you have the correct size main canopy and correct length closing loop. A 'soft' rig like a Dolphin will not stay shut with a loose canopy or a long closing loop. Set it up the right way, and do the work packing and closing it. This will keep tension on the pin, the pin cover flap closed, and help keep the bridle tucked under the side flap on it's way to the BOC.

'IF' all of that is in place, you'll be fine. A Dolphin can work for freeflying, but there's no room for a sloppy rig set-up. Other containers are far more tolerant of odd iszed canopies or other mis-matches, but not the Dolphin.

embroidering a big cock and balls on the dolphin or whatever they're going to do.....then why the fuck didn't they just do it before they sold the rig to begin with

I guess they followed your advice.

thats some funny stuff right there..:D thanks for the laugh bro
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Thanks for all of the replies!

Your not welcome...

I'm not sure why all of you are so mean. The OP asked a question so just give him an answer and move on.....or just forget it......Geeezus

You chiming in uncalled for doesnt help the situation...or snookie

I don't know what your problem is, but you need to chill out, bro. If anyone is "chiming in uncalled for" it's you who came in here with an attitude right off the bat.

Anyway, I have a friend who got the mods done to his dolphin and freeflies it pretty often. It doesn't look ideal to me, but it does work for him.

thats some funny stuff right there.. thanks for the laugh bro

Yea - I thought the whole thread was becoming a major downer with everybody calling everybody else names. I could have either joined the name calling melee or photoshopped a cock onto a dolphin to lighten things up.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Get the mods done i think you'll be fine...

If you want to start freeflying early on in your skydiving, not really a problem either, just get a coach (that goes for anyone learning to freeflying, regardless of jump numbers) you'll most likely end up backsliding, across the sky which is a danger to yourself and others..

Why somone has to have x ammount of jumps to start freeflying is beyond me, what a load of horse shit....

I looked at dolphin rig the other day with mods, and it looked good to go, the post on packing volume is great and should be listened to, my PDF rig had a toggle fire at 200 mph, and i always thought it was pretty bullet proof for freeflying and balistic testing, but a shitty pack job, put that into perspective.

good luck with your skydiving, freeflying and all.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Your not welcome...

I'm not sure why all of you are so mean. The OP asked a question so just give him an answer and move on.....or just forget it......Geeezus

You chiming in uncalled for doesnt help the situation...or snookie

I don't know what your problem is, but you need to chill out, bro. If anyone is "chiming in uncalled for" it's you who came in here with an attitude right off the bat.

Anyway, I have a friend who got the mods done to his dolphin and freeflies it pretty often. It doesn't look ideal to me, but it does work for him.

hahaha thanks for playing

Get the mods done i think you'll be fine...

Why somone has to have x ammount of jumps to start freeflying is beyond me, what a load of horse shit....

It is sad that you think a solid amount of air awareness is not important before you start increasing your speed and orientation. It has nothing to do with "x" it has to do with 100 jumps is not enough to be FF. It is just my opinion and you have yours but I generally tell people a couple hundred is a good starting point. Not everyone needs that many but I find most do.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

I understand where your going with this... but air oriantation and speed are relative to your insturction given.... and with the other people on the dive with you.

The danger of hitting other people is always there, regardless of your oriantation, if i were to collide with you in freefall belly to earth i would be going around 130mph, whats 20mph between friends (sit fly 150mph) (i'm a fatty)

Hence the reason i said to get a coach, even if you do have 300 jumps or 1000 jumps you will more then likely be all over the place whilst trying to get stabillity and oriantation, on learning to freefly.

You'll become a bettter flyer if you can control your entire body in any oriantaion, rather than just belly to earth. Why not start learning early and mix it up a little. ??

I understand where your going with this... but air oriantation and speed are relative to your insturction given.... and with the other people on the dive with you.

The danger of hitting other people is always there, regardless of your oriantation, if i were to collide with you in freefall belly to earth i would be going around 130mph, whats 20mph between friends (sit fly 150mph) (i'm a fatty)

Hence the reason i said to get a coach, even if you do have 300 jumps or 1000 jumps you will more then likely be all over the place whilst trying to get stabillity and oriantation, on learning to freefly.

You'll become a bettter flyer if you can control your entire body in any oriantaion, rather than just belly to earth. Why not start learning early and mix it up a little. ??

I understand that train of thought but talking to students and remembering myself at 100 jumps I don't think most are ready. I probably would have been fine but every jump a person gets so much more aware and can avoid those collisions or avoid sliding all over the sky. A coach is a must... I totally agree with you about this. The problem I have is some FFers that cannot fly on their belly worth a damn. If an instructor feels a person is there then great but I still just don't think most are ready.

Here's what I look for with regard to a Freefly Ready Rig:

1.) Tuck Tabs on Riser Covers.
2.) Secondary Riser Covers along side the Reserve Pack Tray.
3.) No more than 3-5 inches of exposed Risers from the rings to the tuck tabs on shoulders.
3.) A Reserve flap with side tuck tabs, and tuck tab at the bottom that inserts into the rig.
4.) A Main PIN flap that either folds up into the rig, or has long stiffeners that fold up under the closing flaps on the main pack tray.
5.) A fully seated Pop Top (Reserve Pilot Chute), with some type of Reserve PIN Flap over the POP top.
6.) A tight Main Pack Tray.
7.) A tight Reserve Pack Tray.
8.) A tight Main Closing Loop.
9.) A tight chest strap that stays tight during opening.
10.) Tight leg straps that stay tight during opening.
11.) BOC or PUD deployment system.
12.) NO Exposed Bridle, not even an inch.
13.) Tight BOC Pouch ( No worn out Spandex or elastic.
14.) I personally HATE D-Rings, so Pillow Cut Away and Reserve handles.
15.) If you must have D-Rings then they MUST be low profile.
16.) Some type of AAD, especially if Freeflying with low timers or on Advanced Big Ways.
17.) No Velcro anywhere.

Thats my list of what I look for in a Freefly Friendly Rig.

a friend of mine jumps a dolphin with tuck tabs, i personally watched his tuck tabs break and come open on a jump in which we did a head down exit just for fun and transitioned to belly(cuz he isnt fond of freeflying it) as soon as he leveled out, the riser on the broken side popped out and wrapped around his arm. he cleared it and pulled in place, higher than expected because he knew he had a problem. ended up being a non event, but it could have easily been a very bad ordeal. listen to experience on here about gear choices and use the right tools for the job, im not 100% familiar with the mods, but if they make the difference then kool, if not, well....

Here's what I look for with regard to a Freefly Ready Rig:

1.) Tuck Tabs on Riser Covers.
2.) Secondary Riser Covers along side the Reserve Pack Tray.
3.) No more than 3-5 inches of exposed Risers from the rings to the tuck tabs on shoulders.
3.) A Reserve flap with side tuck tabs, and tuck tab at the bottom that inserts into the rig.
4.) A Main PIN flap that either folds up into the rig, or has long stiffeners that fold up under the closing flaps on the main pack tray.
5.) A fully seated Pop Top (Reserve Pilot Chute), with some type of Reserve PIN Flap over the POP top.
6.) A tight Main Pack Tray.
7.) A tight Reserve Pack Tray.
8.) A tight Main Closing Loop.
9.) A tight chest strap that stays tight during opening.
10.) Tight leg straps that stay tight during opening.
11.) BOC or PUD deployment system.
12.) NO Exposed Bridle, not even an inch.
13.) Tight BOC Pouch ( No worn out Spandex or elastic.
14.) I personally HATE D-Rings, so Pillow Cut Away and Reserve handles.
15.) If you must have D-Rings then they MUST be low profile.
16.) Some type of AAD, especially if Freeflying with low timers or on Advanced Big Ways.
17.) No Velcro anywhere.

Thats my list of what I look for in a Freefly Friendly Rig.

I don't see where secondary riser covers are necessary if the rig is built properly. One of the very best free fly rigs is the Voodoo and there is no secondary cover. Also Aerodyne used to incorporate a secondary cover but last year quit doing so.
I also disagree on your D ring thoughts. I do agree a pillow handle could get snagged easier however for the same reason I want that handle to come out regardless of the condition of the rest of the system whatever that may become during an eventful skydive. Also if I ever had an injury where for some reason I could not get to my hackey I want to be able to get to my reserve with either hand. To deploy with a D handle requires a simple hook with the thumb or fingers contrary to the grip necessary to deploy with a pillow handle.
The only reason I bring this up is because I have experienced this issue in the past and I will always have a low profile Dring on all of my rigs.

I would think that an accidental pull of a reserve handle would be less likely on a freefly jump compared to belly. Freeflyers are less likely to actually touch each other :D;)

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

As much as I love Harry P (you're my boy blue), I have to agree with you on the D-ring. I've always been a fan. People can come up with stupid personal arguments for or against, but I think the D-ring is always best for when shit hits the fan and you need to get something out.

That said I also must side with the super hot and sexy Harry P on the secondary riser covers. They seem so insignificant and small when you see them on the rig at your knees, but once you've seen enough toggles dangling in front of you on a "whatever it should work just fine rig" while head down, you come to appreciate the secondary riser covers. The toggles just don't ever come out on them. The idea very much reminds me of a very scary situation that happened last year:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3627483;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

I also have an old school Javelin (secondary), and I've freeflown with it quite a few times. But I also recognize it as an inferior option for freefly safety. I once lent it to a friend who had a premie on it. I never did so I suppose he took a bullet for me because that can very easily be fatal.

My advice to the OP, please understand this: the terms "freefly friendly" and "safe" are not 'ON/OFF' terms. There is no such thing as 'YES/NO' when it comes to the subject. But some designs are definitely more 'freefly friendly' or 'safe' than others for certain applications. I've technically gotten away with a bunch of freeflying on less adequate rigs, but it doesn't mean that you will over the course of 1000+ jumps (which is what you should look for in a freelfy container). CAN you freefly on a modified Dolphin? Of course. Will you get away with it for 1000+ freefly jumps without risking the lives of yourself and others in the air with you? Probably not.

I can totally understand wanting to save some money on a container that advertises 'less bells and whistles', but I can also understand the reasoning behind the folks who say they wouldn't want to be in the air with you. In this sport, when things go bad, they go very bad very quick.

Most of the time you get what you pay for. There are over a dozen manufacturers who design rigs to be "more" freefly friendly. It's not just hype. They charge more for the (what seems to be to the untrained eye) improvements. But for the long haul they're worth it. It won't matter if you buy Mirage, Vortex, Micron, Infinity, etc. As long as it's somebody that has put forth specific standards towards tight freefly safety constructions.

The Dolphin rig has its market, a cheaper rig designed for those who want to save a couple bucks. That's totally fine. If you want to take a future of freeflying serious, I would suggest a rig that makes freefly safety its primary focus for the sake of safety in longevity.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook