Kynan1

How many jumps does it take to be a proficient freeflyer?

Entry level 4 way VFS requires a lot of jumps. I would put it at about 1000 jumps to just be able to take docks. More to be any good at it. Tunnel time to really clean up your flying and to be really consistent.

(edited to be more specific)

2232 jumps exactly :P
I think it depends on the person and how comfortable and aware of how they're flying their bodies. So to put an exact number on it would be hard.
Ive got tunnel time and about 600 jumps and I wouldnt consider myself proficient, Im safe and can take docks in any body position but not proficient.

with no tunnel - 4000 plus. to fly a slot consistently in hd and, even harder, in a sit is tough. those that think they can do it in 700 or 1200 are on crack and only jumping 300 times per year will make it take even longer. taking docks on a 2 way is a long way from flying a slot in a formation.

On average, with no tunnel. To fly an efficient sit/hd position. Take docks and fly slots consistently.
With a 300 jump per year average.

On average, with no tunnel. To fly an efficient sit/hd position. Take docks and fly slots consistently.
With a 300 jump per year average.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?

There is no answer, it's when you "get it" is when you got it and then and only then you will know.....
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

It takes 250 to know that they are the bad-ass.
and takes another 250 to relized that they are just bad
and takes another 1000 to get some what decent
and takes another 1500 to take it to the next level.
and you'll lose interest after that point.
it is time to sell your gear buddy..
100000 dollars later.. was it all worth it???
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Let's all listen to "stayhigh". It was pretty good up until the last two sentences. In my opinion...

Takes 100 to be an expert professional freeflyer.
Takes 500 to realize how much you don't know.
Takes 1000 to realize you may be able to be good.
Takes 2000 to realize that without 500 jumps a year, it's difficult to stay on top. But you still could be great at this.
Takes 5000 to be truly comfortable with flying. However, then you will start hearing about newbies with 100 to 500 jumps can coach freeflying better than anyone around.
At 6000 and 4 1/2 hours of tunnel, and about $200k later, it's all been well worth it and still is.

less than 700 jumps and flying multiple head down points on 10-12 ways. limited tunnel time(mainly head up because im too heavy for my local tunnels) 6 coach jumps with the fienhage and now im pretty much the shit. LOL. now im at about 900 and am only improving. im a firm believer that having the drive to learn and the athleticism goes a big way in skydiving.
Live Love Learn FLY