Kynan1

Freefly expert (on the ground)

If a guy is just passing on information he's heard from a windtunnel instructor, does the information become less true because of his own flying ability?

I dunno if that's the case with your guy, though, but I think most people are usually just passing on secondhand information even if they can't apply it yet.

Agreed. But nothing worse than someone always giving "pointers" to people, has all the answers, yet never applies it to their own flying.
I've had jumps where someone would critique my exit, letting me know what I could have done better, then they went on to fly shitty the whole jump.:)
This is more what I'm getting at.

Or the guy who tells you, "You were pulling on that sit round." Meanwhile, he's leaning completely forward.
Stuff like this.

My usual response. "Oh really, thanks for helping me."
I'm all about progression and open to any critique on flying, but from people who are realistic with their own flying first.

How about this guy??

jump number 150 or so with some tunnel time(60min=60 skydive right???) and now the dude is expert sit flyer and working on head down..
and insist that they can sit fly well with jeans and t-shirts and they firmly believe in flying the "BODY" rather than the suit..
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

If someone gives their critique like an insult or doesn't take feedback from anyone, then yeah, those people are assholes.

Otherwise, they are like everyone else in this sport trying to improve, having to rely on what other people see and tell them to figure out where the problems are.

I've learned that it's really easy to feel like I'm flying well, but in reality I have issues going on that I'm completely oblivious to until someone points it out. For instance, when I was in Skyventure Colorado practicing sitflying, the instructor kept trying to get me to fix an issue with my body position. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, so he tells me to look in the mirror attached to the tunnel wall, and in like two seconds I was able to fix my body position after seeing my reflection.

Also, I see in your profile your home DZ is Perris. I'll be visiting Perris/Elsinore June 12 and 13. If you want, you could tell me who the guy is and I'll jump with him and tell him he sucks afterwards.

Yeah I've made this experience.

I also realised that most free flyers go through a phase where they think they are really good now. This is normally when they can sit stably, take the first docks and are just able to fly a stable head down.

They think they're really good. Maybe it's in this phase that people start giving advice and talking hot shit.

Sooner or later they will however realise, that they still suck and have a shit load to learn. This when the comprehension sinks in that you will never stop learning in this sport. I think this also comes with age and maturity.

Anybody else have similar experiences ?

Maybe it's in this phase that people start giving advice and talking hot shit.

Sooner or later they will however realise, that they still suck and have a shit load to learn. This when the comprehension sinks in that you will never stop learning in this sport.

I start by giving anyone the benefit of the doubt - sure, some are just stroking their own ego. But I think most people are just trying the share what they've heard and done because we all want to help each other. So I'll try most advice from people just because I'll find out if it helps me in the air or not. (unless the advice just plain doesn't follow the laws of physics and aerodynamics). Sometimes the oddest useful tidbits of advice come from the most unlikely people.

You find out quickly who gives good advice vs bullshit.

I'm lucky in FF - I only have a few hundred FF jumps out of my total (getting there though) - so I pretty much suck at it all the time. But I think that's true in all the disciplines - there's always a ton to learn.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If a guy is just passing on information he's heard from a windtunnel instructor, does the information become less true because of his own flying ability?

If the information being passed on remains the same, and is still given in the correct circumstances then sure, it's still true.

However, information that has been filtered through the brain of someone who doesn't really understand it, because they don't have the experience of applying it themselves, tends not to be passed on the same as it was recieved.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Anyone have a guy on the dz who happens to know so much about freeflying, yet gets in the air and can barely fly?
haha, Love these guys.

Kynan,
Don't be so hard on yourself. You'll get better.:D
My photos

My Videos