NiteQwill

Preventing backsliding on sit

Any tips? On other jumps, I've tried sticking my lower legs out in front more as well as leaning back a little bit but find myself on my back (feels like I lean too far).

Any other tips experienced FFs can point out?

Video for reference (red/yellow rig): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmeSzcX5j4
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

It's a tough thing to get over a first, I did it a ton. The biggest thing is leaning "back". Not so much leaning back, but being straight up and down at your torso. It's just a balance thing with the amount of force you apply downwards with your feet to not fall backwards. Just keep it up and you'll nail it soon enough!
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Im not that experienced but it looks like you are mostly leaning forward and chin is down. The thing that helped me get it was thinking about pushing my hips forward, instead of thinking of leaning back. Also chin up!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

What they said, lift your head up like you're standing at attention and you will feel your back and shoulders roll back. When in a sit you will follow your hips so if you want to go forward push your hips forward if you want to go back stick your butt back...right now your butt is back.

You could do some professional free fly coaching and Do 2 or 3 ways at the biggest and use them as a reference and have them not chase you thru the sky.
You have to learn how to be strong in your legs and torso, your arms are just there for a little bit of balance and for docking. So when you do these practice jumps really focus on leaning back and pushing down with your feet into the relative wind.
Some tips I tell people is think of your shoulder blades as hooks and you want to hook them on the air. Also make sure you can see your thumbs in your peripheral vision. And maybe dont take out head down exits till you can sit fly better just free fly the exit without grips, it will teach you how to fly your body on exit.

Dude you're next to two tunnels. Tunnel is the easiest, best, and over long term cheapest way to properly learn to sit. Trust me, if you choose to learn it via the tunnel progression, you'll be so much happier in the long run. I wish I did. Right now you're just learning bad habits that will cost thousands more to break in a couple years when you want to get on bigger ways, sequentials and VFS. Oh and I'm not a tunnel instructor or anything, just wish someone stressed to me the importance of good coaching early on.
HYPOXIC

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yea, the video was just of a fun jump with a buddy. I've been meaning to get back to the tunnel. I mostly do RW stuff and never more than 3-way freefly.

I appreciate the tips and I'll keep updatng my progression as it comes.
-Samuel Beckett

Hey man, Go onto you tube and give Niclas Daniel a search, He has a bunch of great tutorials online, As well at the end of the tutorial he gives you a way to get ahold of him if you are looking for some extra tips!
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

Hey man, Go onto you tube and give Niclas Daniel a search, He has a bunch of great tutorials online, As well at the end of the tutorial he gives you a way to get ahold of him if you are looking for some extra tips!

yup. I've had the opportunity to meet, jump, and be coached by Nik. He's a local to Perris and Elsinore. I'm hitting the tunnel tomorrow guys!
-Samuel Beckett

Any tips? On other jumps, I've tried sticking my lower legs out in front more as well as leaning back a little bit but find myself on my back (feels like I lean too far).

Video for reference (red/yellow rig): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmeSzcX5j4

Was that Ratatat for the tunes? Love those guys :)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Was that Ratatat for the tunes? Love those guys :)

Yup, all their music is awesome. :)
-Samuel Beckett

Hey dude,

Things to think about to try and stop backsliding, if you put your neck into the back of you collar and tilt your head upwards as if there is a bad smell about and look down your nose this will force the head back and your chest out. In this position it is almost impossible to lean forward and create a back sliding position.

Having your arms level at the shoulders and putting a 90 deg bend in them so you can see your thumbs in your perifial vision and not be allowed to be pushed backwards again will help prevent a back slide position.

Hope this helps?
At long last the light at the end of the tunell isnt an on coming train!!!