SimonBones

Houston+Denver = VerTex

This year Skydive Houston and Skyventure Colorado have teamed up to put together our new VFS 4 way team SDH VerTex.

We will be training one weekend a month at Skydive Houston as well as doing free freefly load organizing and free coaching.

We will also be training one weekend a month at the Skyventure Colorado tunnel in Denver.

We will also be running a head down bigways camp at Skydive Houston sometime in the early summer (date TBD soon) in preparation (and tryout) for the TX state head down record attempt at Skydive Dallas on the 4th of July weekend boogie.

So! Lots of freeflying to be had this year between Texas and the Denver tunnel! Keep in touch of you want to come party ;)

edited to remove advertising~skymama
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Penelope Howe, Robert Villalobos, and myself return this year after winning the silver medal last year at nationals. This year we're joined by Brad Cole and Justin Russell (Formerly of team VIBE) on video.

Some info from above was removed as "advertising" :S but long story short, we'll have some camps going on during our tunnel training weekends. If you'd like more details or just want to come fly with us for fun in Denver, just shoot me an email or PM. I guess I'm not allowed to say publicly what dates we'll be there :D Sshhh! It's a secret! :)

Hit me up on Facebook

?? We trained as a VFS 4way team all last year and took silver in the advanced class. Once all of our VFS comp jumps were done, a few of us got drunk and decided to register for the 3 way freefly as a throw together team since there were only 3 registered teams there and it needed 4 so it wouldn't get cut the following year. No training, no practice together, and we took silver after throwing together a routine while drunk. Good times :D. Our friends had a team called the 'OutLaws' so we came up with the team the 'InLaws' :D:D:D I love beer.

I doubt I'll be doing the artistic again this year though. I don't think I could be up in Chicago for that long in order to hit both comps with school going on. So we'll keep chugging away at our VFS training B|

Hit me up on Facebook

Cool! I've got some confirmation dates for some head down bigway camps coming to Texas.

May 29th weekend - Skydive Dallas
June 19th weekend - Skydive Houston
July 4th weekned - TX state record attempt at SD Dallas

These camps will be going on during a DZ boogie and will be organized by:

Brandon Chouinard - Formerly of team VIBE and Gravity Rats VFS.

Brad Cole - Current VerTex member and Skyventure Colorado tunnel staff

and myself :S

All three of us were on the recent 108 way record.

Each camp will use a mix of Dallas, Houston, and Denver tunnel flyers warming up for the TX state record. All safe head down flyers are welcome to come learn some bigway fun and if proven, could earn an invite to the state record. The current record is 19 but we're aiming to shatter that big time.

Let me know if you need any more details. I know head down bigway camps are few and far between throughout the year for up and comers to come learn at so I'm throwing this out there publicly.

Hit me up on Facebook

If you're coming to the Houston one, the legendary Safety Dave would take my spare bedroom (or my bed with me (;)). I'll be bunking it probably in Dallas. They have really nice bunk rooms though.

I'd keep your July 4th weekend open too, a guy like you would probably get an invite to the state record.

Hit me up on Facebook

Here's a video of some of our early tunnel training from Jan-Feb this year working towards turning 4-way in the tunnel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OuH1uRUlhc

Also shows my progression learning to fly on my head in there (I'm in orange for some of it and blue for the rest).

And since I finally got around to making a youTube channel, I also posted my submission from the Summerfest 2009 film festival!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mkr3rm14E4&feature=channel

Thanks for checking it out, I'll be posting a more recent video of our team progress soon!

~penelope

Find me on Facebook!

Here's a video of some of our early tunnel training from Jan-Feb this year working towards turning 4-way in the tunnel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OuH1uRUlhc

Also shows my progression learning to fly on my head in there (I'm in orange for some of it and blue for the rest).

And since I finally got around to making a youTube channel, I also posted my submission from the Summerfest 2009 film festival!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mkr3rm14E4&feature=channel

Thanks for checking it out, I'll be posting a more recent video of our team progress soon!

~penelope

Penelope..... nice vid! B| It just brought a smile to my work day.... I also looked at your profile and it made me sad again bc of what you do for a living.... my job is lame. :P:D
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Thanks! What I do for a living makes me sad, too. My job is also lame. There could definitely be cool jobs in Oceanography, especially if it's what you're really into, but mine is not one of them. Good thing I get to quit in 14 weeks! :)

Find me on Facebook!

Thanks! What I do for a living makes me sad, too. My job is also lame. There could definitely be cool jobs in Oceanography, especially if it's what you're really into, but mine is not one of them. Good thing I get to quit in 14 weeks! :)

Well...... if that is a good thing then :)
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Cool! I've got some confirmation dates for some head down bigway camps coming to Texas.

May 29th weekend - Skydive Dallas
June 19th weekend - Skydive Houston
July 4th weekned - TX state record attempt at SD Dallas

The head down bigway camp in Dallas went excellent. Many up an coming freeflyers learned a lot about bigway dynamics and even impressed themselves with large steps of flying improvement.

A video from one of the jumps was posted on FB this morning:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/video/video.php?v=681876327417&ref=mf

Next and last bigway camp will be at Skydive Houston during the Heat Waves boogie on the June 19th weekend out of the skyvan. It is open to anybody who can fly safely on their heads around others. Even if you don't think you can close pods consistently, feel free to come fly with us and hopefully we'll teach you how!

Those who can prove they're rockstars in the bigway will get an invite to the TX state record on July 4th weekend. The current standing record is 19 and we already built an 18 way at the Dallas camp.

See you at Skydive Houston in 3 weeks!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=117881534917975

-Simon
Hit me up on Facebook

The sad thing Simon, is there is a very talented and capable HD flyer that was not even allowed to try out for the TX HD record......but hey some skygods know best[:/]:S...........No i am not talking about Simon for anybody wondering..............

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Interesting... very first time I've ever heard anything about that. Especially since I was there. I don't remember seeing you there but since you seem to know something those of us who were there didn't know, and want to suggest so in a public forum, care to enlighten us all?

From the direct memory of someone who was there, as far as I know, every person who attended and was safe enough to fly with others head down in the sky was jumping with us. The groups were numbered in the 20's with jumpers coming in from several states away. I got a chance to meet some cool new people :)
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but I'm guessing it is fairly second hand, a bit inaccurate, or maybe you have a grudge against somebody for a reason unknown to me. The only thing that would bar a person from jumping in a bigway is demonstrating unsafe flying behavior such as improper break-offs and uncontrolled flying that results in freefall collisions. This is a platform for people to learn and from what I can recall, everybody did their best to try and foster that as safely as possible.

Perhaps you could ask the "skygod" you are referring to about this? I can very easily give you email and phone number contact so you can get some first hand information. I'm more than sure they would be willing to answer any of your questions.

Hit me up on Facebook

Well Simon.....First it did happen and it happened before the weekend you speak of. It was a local issue and im sure you didnt hear about it cause only a couple around here know of it. No i wont share it on here, but rest assured it did happen. Just cause you dont know means nothing.....I have no grudge against anybody, but dont care for the skygod that i speak of, due to his attitude.....you say the only thing that would keep someone off the big way is unsafe flying......maybe you should relay that message to others.......

Well then if what you say is true, then it means the flyer probably never showed up. If the flyer had showed up, and was a proficient flyer, I personally would have slotted him/her on the dive. Your friend still has a chance to try out as there is another tryout camp in two weeks at Skydive Houston and if this person really wants to try out, all he or she would need to do is show up and let me know. This problem is easily fixable and your friend can still try out for the TX state record. I'll give you my word on it, but in order to do so, the gossiping and the secrecy needs to go. Let's not act like children, just send me the contact info for the individual and I will get this problem fixed. I can not address your complaints if you do not give me the information I need to do so. Instead of coming online and talking smack, spreading rumors, and calling people names, let's just try and rectify the situation like adults.

Secondly, I have no idea what skygod you're talking about. The real world keeps proving that there is no black and white, only shades of gray and two sides to each story. I can only ask that before passing judgment on the people I know to be nice people trying their hardest to do something good for others, try contacting them with your concerns. I'm sure you'll find there is more to the story, there always is.

I've flown a little with you before, granted not enough, and though I don't know for certain, I don't think you have a lot of experience with head down bigways so I'll try to paint a little picture for you about "skygods".

These head down bigways were often flying 6 way bases. This means that 6 very experienced head down flyers/camp organizers paid $25 per jump ticket to roll out and hold a base for 15+ people to crash into them so they could try and work on docking. They did this over and over again, jump after jump. Though I can't speak for the finances of others, I personally shelled out over $400 (on a full-time college student income) and drove 5 hours each way to Dallas so that newer head down flyers could learn the required skills to help build a new state record and generally improve the TX freefly scene. I did these jumps recovering from a broken arm and left with plenty of the normal bruises you get from sitting in the base getting bumped around. Nobody in that base was rich, nor did they have a magic tree that money grew from. We all take our turns paying it forward.

There was a time when I knew nothing of head down flying at all. The mentors who taught me (who I still look up to) where always some of the coolest, selfless, and down to earth people I'd ever met who did the same thing to pay it forward to me when I attended my first head down ways.

So yeah, if there are any "skygods" in TX, they certainly didn't show up to the Dallas bigways. Every person who showed up was there to try and do something constructive. When you're ready to address your complaints by doing something positive and constructive, let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help.

You know exactly how to contact me, there is a PM button to the left and my email address is listed.
Hit me up on Facebook

Those reading this please note that this is not what Skydive Dallas is about. Anyone who jumps there knows this. I know all the parties involved and this is not how it was presented by one particular skydiver here. Skydive Dallas ROCKS. The organizers ROCK. The freefly big way skills camp? FREAKIN' ROCKED! And I didn't even take part. But I was there. There are NO sky gods at Dallas. Only those concerned for safety and great skydives. I love all my sky brothers and sisters at Dallas and all over Texas. Let's not spread the hate! Spread ONLY the love. That is what our great sport is ABOUT. If you feel otherwise...please feel free to move on to a pursuit more suiting of your negative energy. Leave the skydiving to us.

No it is not what SDD is about, but you say you know all parties involved..... please PM who i speak of.... I will be waiting.......So basically you say im a lier.........There is A (as in 1) skygod at dallas! For you to say otherwise means you are either uninformed or dont know the person well enough! I love SDD but there is A Sky God! For you to say im lieing.......Is a lie! I am not spreading "negative energy", but am telling the truth!