eightate8at8

Beginning jumpsuit characteristics

Eventually, being the beanpole I am, I'll have to have a jumpsuit made a little more on the tight side. However I was wondering if a baggier suit would make learning to freefly easier? Or would that just give me training specific to a baggy suit and become obsolete when I switch to a low drag suit?

I think you should learn to fly your body and not your suit. You're going to be one floaty bastard, and a baggy suit is not going to help, especially when you're at a point where you can freefly with others. Learning to sitfly, having drag in your arms will innitially help you, but, having baggy legs will probably just make it harder. I'd stick to a baggy shirt/tight pants for learning to sit, then make sure you get a suit that's more fitted than it is baggy and just learn to fly in that. Sure, a little drag on the legs could probably be beneficial in head down, but, that's probably a little down the road for you and anyways, and, like I said, you'll be a better flyer if you start off with flying your body instead of depending on a bunch of loose fabric to do it for you.

I think you should learn to fly your body and not your suit. You're going to be one floaty bastard, and a baggy suit is not going to help, especially when you're at a point where you can freefly with others. Learning to sitfly, having drag in your arms will innitially help you, but, having baggy legs will probably just make it harder. I'd stick to a baggy shirt/tight pants for learning to sit, then make sure you get a suit that's more fitted than it is baggy and just learn to fly in that. Sure, a little drag on the legs could probably be beneficial in head down, but, that's probably a little down the road for you and anyways, and, like I said, you'll be a better flyer if you start off with flying your body instead of depending on a bunch of loose fabric to do it for you.

+1.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

you'll be a better flyer if you start off with flying your body instead of depending on a bunch of loose fabric to do it for you.

+1.

+2

I 'cheated' by initially learning to sit with running shorts and a sweatshirt. Then moved to a big baggy suit like everyone else at the time.....

Sure....I got into a 'sitlike' position pretty quick. Then spent the rest of the next year learning terrible habits all the way into suit buying and into headdown for the next few years. Finally, we starting thinking about the dynamics of the airflow.

What's amazing is that every suit my wife has made for me since has been tighter and tighter. And every single time, my flying has taken a step function better just due to the suit being fitted. My current suit has a torso that fits like a RW comp suit, and straight cuffs in the arms and legs with double fabric layers at the extremes, not bigger, just more drag where it counts.

Spending time having a suit fly your body instead of YOU flying your body is counterproductive.

Flapping material really throws a person around and they don't even know it at the time. It's true for FF, it's true for RW. Smooth and streamlined is the best way to learn control.

Flapping material may be perceived as helpful in learning. IMHO - it hurts learning MUCH more than any help it gives.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So, even if you are a lightweight beginner in freeflying you can better spent some more money on a very good (fitting) suit, than buy something cheaper but a little looser, less fitting?

Yes, get a good quality and correctly sized suit now.