Katrinka

Brain lock in freefly

jo, folks,

how do you get rid of it by yourself?
and we arent talking about jumping with a coach, watching videos, talking to gurus...
this sport is about mental health, mindset and most of the time we have to deal with this problem, when something goes wrong from jump to jump, again and again. the same movement, the same transit doesnt go well, as it should ( transit, coming to formation)..
what exersices, words, "magic" you use to relax and fly free?

thanks!
Its time to rock&roll.

I make funny faces and hand gestures. If I find myself tense and flying sloppy to a formation, I try and find the first person to make eye contact with me and make the goofiest face I can. If I can be so silly and make them laugh, then I laugh too, and I'm not so tense anymore. Or I just flip them the finger. Then I land after laughing my ass off for most of the jump and realize that whether or not the formation built, I still laughed my ass off and had fun.

Your biggest obstacle in freeflying will be not being relaxed. If you can find a way to make a serious jump silly to you, you'll do great!
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

This may sound silly, but chewing gum seems to help me avoid tensing up. It somehow takes my mind off everything and I can just relax and breath alot more smoothly.

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

Breathe :)

I never got this whole "breath" thing.. It's not like people stop breathing..

Actually it is... I don't know why but some people start breathing really shallow and fast and that just promotes stress. Breathing slowly on the other hand makes you more relaxed (something to do with our brain firmware, kinda hardcoded to these silly things).

So if you feel tense... BREATHE!!;)
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I never got this whole "breath" thing.. It's not like people stop breathing..

Yes they do. Quite a lot.

The other thing is that slow, deep breathing actually relaxes you. So does a smile, however forced. Releases chemicals that chill you out.

Or you can go the pot brownies route :P

besides the obvious..(few glasses of jaegermeister before the jump)

i think what simon said is a very good way of getting rid of tension. Sometimes you just seem to forget to have fun.

I noticed that i really had some "see the light" moments on those jumps that a bunch of us were just goofing around.

What also helps (me at least) is to sometimes just jump solo and then just totally relax your body and see where that takes you. Or just enjoy the scenery under canopy.

I make funny faces and hand gestures. If I find myself tense and flying sloppy to a formation, I try and find the first person to make eye contact with me and make the goofiest face I can. If I can be so silly and make them laugh, then I laugh too, and I'm not so tense anymore. Or I just flip them the finger. Then I land after laughing my ass off for most of the jump and realize that whether or not the formation built, I still laughed my ass off and had fun.

Your biggest obstacle in freeflying will be not being relaxed. If you can find a way to make a serious jump silly to you, you'll do great!

I like your technique!!! :ph34r:
~Migs~

On Facebook