Cinders

Good FF container for heavier jumper?

Hey hey, quick question:

Working my way into FF, been using rentals for 130+ jumps until I saved enough. I'm about 215, 6'. What containers accomodate us heavier types? I'll be using a 190 or 210 main.

Looked at several threads, but with extra research, I notice several of the containers don't list up to my size main. Is it just the stores or is that all the company makes?

Is this website a decent place to look, their prices seem a little off compared to others:
http://www.gravitygear.com/store/Container_Systems.html

First of go for used gear, look for javelin, mirage, vector, etc. in classifieds section

Eh? Lots of vector 2's for sale, not freefly proof. Older jav's, tend to have open flaps a lot, not my first choice either.

To the OP: most new gear is freefly proof, a lot of older gear is too but ask your rigger first before buying anything.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes that's a good website. Call Bonnie directly and talk to her about gear. She's has real life experience when it comes to suitable gear and won't sell anything she doesn't believe in. She's great with new skydivers needs and often has excellent used equipment too.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I learnt to freefly in an older style Mirage (made in 1998 I believe) and never had any problems. The rig had all tuck tabs and all the closing flaps were solid. The only 'freefly mod' I had to make was to put some bungee cord on the leg straps. I think I sold it for about 1100GBP so about 1600USD a year ago. I second NOT buying new unless you have money to burn!

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

>What containers accomodate us heavier types? I'll be using a 190 or 210 main.

Things to consider:

1) Get a container with large harness rings for the risers. They are far more reliable at higher loadings.

2) Get type 8 risers. If the width bothers you, get sewn-down type 8 risers.

3) Consider dacron lines on your canopy to reduce the load of a hard opening.

4) Consider the TSO. TSO C23c rigs (which cover a lot of rigs) are good to only 254 lbs. Depending on your choice in canopies, you may well come in below that. C23d can be certified to any weight.

5) Once you have that covered, most modern containers will work for you. For example, the Mirage G4 size M6 will fit main canopies from 190 to 230, and reserves from 176 to 200.

i'd say infinity I-45...

I jump an I-44, love it, freefly bomb proof.

Friend has an I-45, snug fit for a 210 Sab2.

I'm new to the sport, but god damn the flaps on these infinity's are incredibly strong and the bridle cover is excellent.

I'm still amazed at how strong that main flap is, you can lift the whole rig by the flap and shake it , it doesn't open.

I'm still amazed at how strong that main flap is, you can lift the whole rig by the flap and shake it , it doesn't open.

Same with my NEXT...
All flaps are very tight and the bridle is protected perfectly.

I think all modern containers will be okay for freefly...

I am interested in this too. I'm about to graduate from my ill-fitting, second hand dolphin. I think I'm ready to get off my belly and try some FF. I'm going to buy a NEW container, because I want one that was actually made to fit my body. Can anybody recommend any particular brand taking FF and cost into account?

Right now Wings seems like the best bet, because of the price. But I haven't done tons of research. Any others stand out as being affordable and great for freeflying?

Mirage man! Ward Hessing can really help you out! Mirage rigs look beefier anyways, all while still having great options like the "Unison" harness, for max comfort, and streamlined fit. Seriously. Its the hottest technology on the block, has awesome "Deluxe" back pads, super comfortable "in-set" stabilizers, and this list goes on...AND 4 weeks ship time! WOOOOOOT! Mirage has never steered anybody wrong, and their customer service is easily the best the industry can provide to its fellow skydivers. Do not let the Mirage haters steer you wrong. They have proven themselves repeatedly.

Wade