Metekanya

Fast sitfly

Maybe some of you can give me some advice.

I am very light, and in a normal sit with other sit flyers I am always too slow, worse yet when they go head down. My head down speed is super comfortable with them in a sit. If I go to a stand up it is too fast for comfortable playing together, so I need to adopt a position in between.

Stand up with spread legs is unstable and still a little too fast. Sit with arms up with palms facing inwards is fast but hard to do as I only fly my legs, and often I go a little backwards. Stand up with one leg in a sit position is OK with speed, but when I go forward I tend to carve and it is unstable when being docked at. Should I try to fly on my knees?

Any one in my situation has worked it out? I am spending a lot of jumps in figuring out how to do instead of getting proficient in one position.

Thanks

I am spending a lot of jumps in figuring out how to do instead of getting proficient in one position.

'spending a lot of jumps in figuring out how to do'. That is why I freefly, trying different things and learning to fly my body. The next thing never gets easier and that is the best part! B|

You have learnt so much about flying head up at high speeds, if you were heavier and could just fly a fast sit would you have tried all this experimenting and learnt so much?

I've found the best technique for me (I'm also a light weight) was to go the hands up route. It's pretty important to try and stay out of the flying around in mostly a stand position. Having your legs up more in the traditional sit position gives you far more directional control. But I have met people that do the mostly stand thing.

Another thing I did to overcome the same obstacle is when I'm at a tunnel I make sure to spend some time telling them to crank the speed waaaay up and then work on turning some points in a sit. It feels a lot more uncomfortable first flying at sit flying at speeds way above your neutral in there but you start getting the hang of it.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

I totally agree with skreamer, it's just that I want to do more of the good stuff in each jump like grips, transitions over-under, etc instead of just flying together and I want it NOW! ;)

Last jumps were with hands up and I am getting pretty close to flying it stable all the time, still a couple of legs up and slight backwards slide in each jump. I guess this position will let me much more freedom of movement of my hands once learned well. Thank You for input

In the tunnel two things I can do to make it easier are to have my hands in pretty much a mantis position, so my hands are just a few inches from my chest and are out of the wind. So the standard position is suppose to be 90 degrees angle at the elbow(although most people fly with their arms straight out, 180 degrees). This position is even more extreme at like 35 degrees. (angles from top down view)

Terrible ASCII art but from a top down view, the o is the head and the > is the arm with the bend at the elbow

The other is to have your forearm facing straight up, so there is a 90 degree bend in your arm at the elbow. Your palms are facing the way you are looking. So your upper arms are in a standard sit position and give you some stability but the rest of them are not providing any lift.

From a front view

|_o_|

In terms of leg position, I've used the one leg down quite a bit and but I only use it now when I want farward drive. A few coaches have said it's a good position to use to fall faster, so it may be worth working on that.
I would reccomend staying in a sit position but pushing down with your legs a bit more, so halfway between a sit and a stand, the position is likely to mean you have to be more strong.

from a side view
O
|
. \
.. |

The one leg down is easy to fly and very stable I find. Its only that when trying to go forward in this position, the tendency is to carve, and if docked at not too softly, it is easy to fall from it. Do any of you use this position usually to do freefly moves?

Should I work more on the more "solid" sit with arms up?

I find the "pushing more with legs" position more wobling and more dependant on arms.

Though it would be good for my swooping, I really do not want to depend on weights to perform.

I consider myself a good head down flyer. It is frustrating to struggle with the head up when people with less than 200 jumps fly better than me:(

I am light weight, too. I am better in a stand because that's how I used to fly with the heavies sitting. I think having a range in velocity is higher standard, something to aim for. Like flying with your legs only while sitting. I have spent 300 jmps just sitting. I had a coach and she helped me improve my posture, especially leg position and that helps go a bit faster in normal sit. More faster, pushing down legs a bit more... going slower is difficult, too. I saw a vid of David Gershfield sitflying with 3 bellyfliers doing 4 way RW. wow..
I haven't jumped for a while and I want to get back into it, and I think it is going to take another 300 sitfly and still not be able to do what I want.
As for head down stuff, I still need someone to grab me. I reckon it will take thousands of jumps :P yeah, get happy, get frustrated...do what you gotta do

Wear tighter suits, with little to no extra fabric on the arms and legs.

I see a lot of skinny fliers wearing much baggier suites than then should. Its a real easy fix. Flip the suit inside out and run light stitching down the arms and legs. When its adjusted right sew the measurments in more permanantly.

Also make sure your suits are constructed from low drag materials........IE avoid PolyCotton or Cordora material.

have you ever done any sitfly drills with a closing strap? i am a very light and tall flier,i found that if i totally eliminate my arms from the scenario it makes me fall ALLOT faster. get a closing strap and try to pass it back and forth between your hands, then go undr one leg and back, you will notice you fall allot faster without your arms.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121