MooChooser

Help with docking please..

My girlfriend and I have been working on learning the FF dive pool but there's 1 point in particular that is kid of hard to do smoothly.
How do you put 2 hands in front of you in a head up position?
I thought maybe it had something to do with going onto the knees, but watching videos it looks like you can do it and maintain a sit.
Any help is much appreciated!

My girlfriend and I have been working on learning the FF dive pool but there's 1 point in particular that is kid of hard to do smoothly.
How do you put 2 hands in front of you in a head up position?
I thought maybe it had something to do with going onto the knees, but watching videos it looks like you can do it and maintain a sit.
Any help is much appreciated!

Head back and use your back to compensate by leaning back as your taking the dock to compensate for your arms in front of you.

Honestly a head up double hand grip can be one of the most tricky things to learn in all of freeflying. In a sit, you're using the drag of your upper body (arms) to primarily keep you in that head up orientation, just as one would spread their legs to stay head down.

In a sit position having your legs a little bit out in front of you requires you to keep your arms a little bit back to balance drag between the forward half of your body and the aft half of your body.

Both things said, it is pretty tricky to take both means of primary balance and put them in front of you to take grips!

Take a look at the attached picture. The flyer on the left is rolling his feet back behind him in order to balance the forward/aft drag and be able to bring his arms more in front of him. Tricky tricky, I know. But it's one of your options.

Or, take a look at flyer on the right (me:$). If you notice the top of my back/shoulders/head, you'll see that I'm arching just the upper part of my torso. This allows me to replace some of the aft drag that would have been from my arms with my shoulders, upper back, and the back of my head. When you go for your grip with your sit partner, take one hand first. Then pop your head and shoulders back, arch the upper part of your torso back and then take the second grip. It's easier to do in two stages. It should feel a little like you're pulling on your fly partner a little by leaning back a bit.

You can try playing with both techniques. Whatever you do, keep trying. It's a very tricky thing for most people to learn. Once you're able to nail it, try launching it from the plane. That's right, launch a head up round from the plane. That's your next challenge ;)

-Simon

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook