highwinder

Back flying techniques

Joao Tambor has a video on backflying. It is very informative. I believe it is the first video in a series of three: Sitflying and Headdown are the other two although I don't think the headdown video is out yet. Check out Para Gear I'm pretty sure they have it.
There is a really good article on backflying in the December '06 issue of Skydive the Mag. I can't get a direct link to work but you can go here:

www.bpa.org.uk/skydive

and then click on back issues and find the right issue from there.

Ciao

Does anyone have any resources online on getting started with back flying? Techniques, positions, how to's? Anything appreciated to look at before i get some coaching.

Mods, please move this post if in the wrong section!

Niklas Daniel has short but IMO useful to watch videos on www.expertvillage.com

here for BackFlying:
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/10066_sky-dive-back-fly.htm

But some real tunnel time with an instructor is much-much useful;)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

www.skydiveu.com Learn to backfly dvd in the tunnel and the sky..... Great educational products on this site.
This is the dvd by Skydive University and Joao Tambor.....

here are some clips from the newest dvd we just released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I91DKubjv4

After a couple of tunnel hours it is very comfortable to fly around on the back, and then you think that it will be dead easy on a skydive and start dreaming about how you will freak out with your belly fly friends. The frustration after the first jump and the repeated “what the F…’s” are a terrible sensation. After around 25 more jumps I am doing much better but very far from the precision of the moves in the tunnel. I am sure it is not only the rig, there is much more wind pressure in the sky. Any tips? Why is it so different?

I don't know about the rig thing while backflying..I back flied before going in a tunnel and the tunnel really helped...
I kind of think that the rig makes a hell of a lot of difference in sitflying. O.K. I admit I can't sit in a tunnel, but it is obvious the rig does make you body profile change a lot more in a sit, compared to back flying ...no?
wait..I'm not sure about this...maybe belly and back is more easier to maintain position with or without rig.

I had this exact experience, loved backflying in the tunnel! Felt really comfortable & was so excited to go have some backfly fun in the sky. A few "what the f" jumps later, I just went back to comfy sit/HD stuff.

All the instructional videos I can find are for tunnel flying. Does anyone have advice for transferring tunnel knowledge to the sky? I think it's obvious having a giant growth (rig) on your back is going to affect the flow of air. So, do you end up more butt high, head high, more arched?

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)