Chris-Ottawa

Sit Flying for small people?

Hey,

I've read a few posts about sit flying, wearing weights and jumpsuits etc... I'll start by giving my problem, current things I've done and the result, then I'll ask for advice.

Current problem:
I fall too damn slow. Not shitting, my sit runs about 125-130mph and my stand is about 140-145mph. These are on an average of about 50-60 FF jumps.

Things I've done:
1) Jumped with a tight jumpsuit. This seems to be great for control, but the fact that it's made of cotton, when I believe I ordered supplex, is slowing me down. Speeds around 125mph in sit, 140 in stand

2) Jumped in shorts and t-shirt. Speeds have increased a fair bit and I can now level off with other jumpers ok, but now I'm sometimes dropping out and can't get back up without going onto my back. Sit speed ~125 and stand around 135-140~

3) Jumped in shorts and a fairly snug long sleeve T. This has so far provided me the most flexibility. I can keep a decent speed and fly with others etc. Sit speed around 125 and stand around 140.

4) 8 lbs of weight and my FF suit. This was an experiment and was on my more recent jumps. The guy I always jump with also put on a baggier suit. I dropped out with this combo and had speeds around 160 in a sit. With the added weight, it made flying so much easier and our proximity was MUCH easier to maintain since I had the control from my suit, but the added weight to not have to fight to stay there. Neptune AVG: 136 in sit

4b) 6 lbs of weight, same jumpsuit on other jumper. Worked much better but I was still dropping out. Neptune AVG: 131 in sit

4c) 4 lbs of weight, same jumpsuit on other jumper. This combo worked fantastic, levels were great, proximity was awesome. I never wuold have though 4 lbs could make all the difference. Maybe it's mental, or maybe not..I dunno. Neptune AVG: 129 in sit

So, I'm reading that weights and FF are not recommended, or in some people's opinions, unecessary. Does anyone have advice on things I can try? I'd like to keep using my jumpsuit, but I'm just as happy jumping in shorts and a T. I'd rather not have to rely on weights, but the difference it made in my flying ability was incredible. It was all around easier, more stable, much less fighting etc.

I'm uploading videos to Youtube right now of 2 jumps I did with Dave Calucci (Sp?) from the East Coast FF'ers this past Christmas in Z-Hills. Keep in mind this is about my 12'th sit jump and I've done about 60 FF jumps since then. So it is not an accurate representation. I know my legs are too narrow, up too high and slightly canted. I don't know what this video will benefit but it will give you an idea. Dave spent most of the jump(s) on his back. I was working on exits too...I get a much better exit now.

Anyways, advice, comments, anything is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

EDIT: Adding video. Please note that I don't have the videos from Dave still on my PC. So, I have these jumps from about 20-25 jumps ago. I am the cameraman in all of these and as you can see, levels are a big issue. He's averaging 150 in a sit. I have more footage I can get from more recent jumps too.

I am the cameraman, and the jumper in the red suit is my regular FF partner that I'm basing all this info on.

Jump 1 is point #2 above - The exit was planned like that and I got a bunch of throw from the plane and knew I'd have distance to gain, horizontal and vertical. I was in a stand from the point I first had them on camera until you can see I'm on level, then I go back to sit to close the horizontal gap and they are dropping again.

Jump 2 is point #4 above - You can see him in a stand to keep up with me at some points after I drop out. Exit was an attempted HD 3 way with a pretty new jumper

Jump 3 is point #4b above - Terrible 3 way horny gorilla, levels were better, but I was still dropping out with him in a baggy suit and me with lead.

Jump 4 is point #4c above - 2 way exit, levels were much easier to maintain between us, I burbled over him and we ended up in an unintentional horny gorilla when you see me looking around, then we tracked away.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UnoWo6qyL1g

I realize this is not excellent footage, and we are NOT expert FFers, but it might help someone give some advice. I know footage of me would be more useful, but he is awaiting his camera setup and I don't ahve any footage of me yet. This weekend I'll give him my cam and get some of me.

Thanks!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

First, it's hard to accurately respond without seeing some things for myself. For example, I'd want to see how baggy your suit it. Saying it is more or less baggy on an online forum doesn't really paint me an accurate picture. I'd want to see what your height/weight is like. Posting a video online doesn't give me an accurate view of your height/weight and whether the jumpsuit as a result is too baggy or not.

A neptune is not really all that accurate of a device for freefall speeds. Few of them really are. I can exit an airplane docked with another freeflyer, both wearing neptunes, protracks, etc, and remain docked the duration of the freefall only to find that both of our computers read different values. They may be somewhat close, but really not very accurate.

I will tell you from my experience that you are only wearing weights as a crutch. Freeflying is the most difficult discipline. That means it is hard to get good and will take hundreds to thousands of jumps. There is no short supply of people with low freefly jump numbers who bitch back and forth about this person being "too fast" and that person being "too slow". It's kind of like the spaceball that backslides, right?. In a sit I can range in speeds of high 120s to well over 190 without changing weight or jumpsuit. I'm 6'1" and 150lbs. I'm a tall skinny bastard and fall rates, too fast or too slow are not really an issue.

I work with a student who is a very small framed girl. She is short and would probably push 100lbs soaking wet. I have set a 170mph spaceball in front of her and she can sit relative with it, as she can with one that goes 140mph. Changing speed is not an accessories issue. Stop worrying about changing suit configurations (unless it's just absurdly baggy) and stop worrying about adding weight. All sorts of speeds can be achieved by simply fine tuning body positions. But that takes time, experience, and training.

Though I've never flown with you, I can imagine from your listed jump numbers that you've probably become comfortable with a pretty static position that sets a fall rate for you that you don't like. In time working with more experienced freeflyers you'll get over this hump. But seriously stop blaming it on weight or jumpsuit handicaps. Freeflying is hard and will take time. If all you care about is instant result speed by adding weight without learning how to do it yourself, you'll only stop your learning and will never get any better.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Hey,

Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I don't WANT to wear the weights, but it did make the jump easier to concentrate on proximity, rather than fighting to stay down, while half in a stand. I'm hoping for techniques I can use to increase speed.

I've heard of pointing my toes, or my heels, raising my arms etc...I've been trying those and they don't seem to help. ONe thing that I'm thinking might be part of the problem is my rig. Yes I know I'm blaming gear again, and I know it's probably more likely skill, but my laterals are about 2 inches too long on each side and in a sit, the rig is WELL off my back scooping air. My new custom rig is to be delivered tomorrow and will offer a snugger fit. This might be contributing to the problem.

I'm not looking for an instant result, I'm simply asking how I can get better and practice without needing instant help aids (weight). I weight 120lbs, ~140 out the door and I'm 5'8". I've attached a picture of me in my jumpsuit when I got it. Hope this helps!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Hey Chris,

Excellent advice from Simon... You should come to Gan this weekend for our twin otter boogie and I'll be more than happy to help you out, maybe get a few jumps in together in between my bigger organized group jumps.

Cheers,
Al
Time's flying, and so am I...
(69-way, 108-way and 138/142-way Freefly World Records)

You could probably take an inch or two out of the legs and maybe an inch out of the arms for more comfortable flying, but the jumpsuit shouldn't be holding you back much. Ask your local rigger if he can sew a quick line up the inside.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook