LIEBRICH401

hd transitions

Try to keep a reference point in sight at all times through the transition.
You can also try transitioning to sit then back to HD. As you progress you will be able to go completely around while staying on heading.
A good coach would be able to fix you right up.
Good luck,

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

What transitions are you trying to do? Sit -> hd? hd -> sit? hd -> hd? Front flip, back flip or cartwheel?

In general I'd recommend keeping the transition fairly slow and flying through the whole transition and not just 'throwing' it. Try to feel the wind throughout the whole thing and be aware of what you are doing with your body.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

well i am trying to go from sit-hd, front, back and cartwheel transitions. i get out of the plane okay and hold it down the pipe but when i go to sit, my transitions back to hd look like a soup sandwich. i think i'm throwing it to much and its making me go all over the place. thanks for the tips, i have a boogie for the next 4 days so hopefully these tips can help me hammer out the problems

blue skies
shaun

Something I always like to teach for head down learners is to not sitfly. That's right. Stop worrying about transitioning to HD from a sit. I'll explain:

If you are not very comfortable in flying HD yet, then trying to recover HD is going to be a flailing mess. I recommend backflying. When going from a backfly to a HD your transition is only 90 degrees. When trying to cartwheel from a sit you are throwing your body around 180 degrees and trying to catch yourself in a position you're not comfortable flying. Do this math, you get 55 seconds on a freefly jump. For every cartwheel sit to HD transition you try you spend 4-5 seconds trying to regain stability on you head. With four attempt, that's 16-20 seconds of that skydive to play on your head and get comfortable with it. That's 29-36% of your jump just trying to get stable! This is very inefficient. If you recover from HD instability on your back, then arch your back and rotating 90 degrees to your head you will save yourself much more time per jump of gaining familiarity with HD flying. Once you are very solid HD flying, transitions will come easy! This is because if it is a position you are super comfortable in, then recovering TO HD will be easy from any flip. cartwheel, spin, or crash.

Worry first about flying HD solid by recovering on your back and popping right back into it, then those sit to HD cartwheels (or whatever) will be just as easy and comfortable as on your belly because the position will be easy for you.

Basics and comfort first, then the tricks will be easy.

-Simon
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

well i am trying to go from sit-hd, front, back and cartwheel transitions. i get out of the plane okay and hold it down the pipe but when i go to sit, my transitions back to hd look like a soup sandwich. i think i'm throwing it to much and its making me go all over the place. thanks for the tips, i have a boogie for the next 4 days so hopefully these tips can help me hammer out the problems

blue skies
shaun

Wow!!! I could barley sit at 179. I think what you really want to do is learn how to do flips and cartwheels upright first.

Lets look at an upright flip two different ways.

#1 push your upper body forward and pull your lower body backwards while tucking at the same time.

#2 (this is exaggerated and basic) stand or extend your lower body tilt forward long enough for the relative wind to hit your legs then tuck. Then extend your body to stop the rotation.

In way #1 your trying to muscle your way thru the relative wind. With #2 your using the relative wind and gravity( gravity doesn't want you falling heavy side up) to give you the momentum thru the rotation.

Watch video of top freestyle/freeflyer's standing and doing rotations and you'll see what I mean. Once you can rotate like that it's "easy" to stop it half way, since gravity wants you to fall heavy side down

PS if you have Crosswind they have a super slo mo of Omar doing exactly what I'm talking about

i get out of the plane okay and hold it down the pipe

My only question is how do you know you are falling straight down while in the head down position? A lot of people think they are falling straight down while head down but are actually in more of an atmonaughti postion instead. You need to be sure you really are head down before trying to do transitions.