woodpecker

anyone ever coached by babylon or other great FFers?

This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm heading back out to Emp and my focus is to get my sit to a point where I can finally start doing group jumps and actually being part of the group. I have the stability, heading, etc...I've just not spent the time/money for proper coaching and now its time to hone the skills (or develop them ;) )

My question specifically is: Is getting coaching from a worlds best good/bad? Yes they are coaches, and some of the best FFers around, but is there a such thing as "too good"? I just dont want to waste my money to have the privelage of just jumping with a world champion but not getting the best coaching I can out of it.

Respectfully,

Billy
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

this might seem irrelevant to your question, but: a person with great skills is not necessarily a person that can coach/teach you well..

in my experience, some coaches or teachers, just have the right way of explaining things. what works for one, does not mean it works for someone else.

if you dont get along with someone, its hard(er) to take their advice. some people have an attitude that might be hard to deal with, or maybe its just their personality that might suck in your eyes. whatever.

so, instead of looking at how good someone is, you better start looking for someone that has good educational skills, of course knows what he/she's talking about, and last but not least, someone you like!

to answer your question: a good coach will never be "to good". he'll evaluate your skills and go with you from there.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

To Kat and those who have PM'd me...thanks for the helpfull inpute. It seems that pretty much the entire team seems to be not only world class FFlers but good coaches as well.

Virgin-Burner: thanks for the reply and reitterating exacly what my question was.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

As a former student, I can safely say that coaching with these guys is money well spent! Babylon have bags of experience in coaching all aspects of freeflying. Im sure they will be able to provide you with what you need. Top notch professional sports coaching! enjoy!

safe flights.

That seems to be the consensius so I'm in. I have my sit down, just need to work on jumping with others while in it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again to all who have responded.
SONIC WOODY #146

ive done quite a bit of coached jumps so heres my 2 cents.
dont worry to much on finding the best of the best. like someone else said its more important to find a coach with a good teaching style and someone you feel totaly comfortable working with. dont disclude jumpers at your local dz's. if they are really good fflyers and have some background in teaching they can help you as well for a fraction of the costs. usually they will help you for slot and pack jobs. as long as they have vid you can get the basics down for much less cost. obviously they may not be as good as the top teer of freeflying but you dont always need a "rook nelson" to learn how to change fallrate, drive, side slide ext....
when you get coaching video your debriefs!!!! you will be suprised how fast you forget some of the details of their instruction and end up going back to your old bad habits months or even weeks after your back home.
watch the videos over and over at home to get your moneys worth.
ggod luck, babylon are freakin awesome and inspite me to fly my ass off!!
>

they are working for you so i doubt anyone would have a problem with it. if they did i would get another coach. these things are very pricey so im going to get my money's worth anyway i can.
ive had some caoshes that didnt want me to wear my vid in air. i dont remember why but it wasnt a big deal so i didnt mind.
>

just got back from Emp and did my coach jumps with babylon. Apparently I'm doing everything right and just need to keep pushing my legs (more strong)

I'm a 'floater' since I'm so light so anyone I FF with cant be lazy, nor can I. My sit is now basically a stand.
SONIC WOODY #146

I'm a 'floater' since I'm so light so anyone I FF with cant be lazy, nor can I. My sit is now basically a stand.

Did Babylon tell you to be lazy on the grond and eat a lot of burgers? That might help you out a bit ;)
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

The right FF coaching is all over the place at every DZ. Learn from those that have more experience than you. I personally get better just by jumping with people much more experienced than me. It forces me to use my skills. Plus I have Jimmy-T on hand to help me out whenever I have questions. Jump, Jump, and Jump with those with experience. Tunnel never hurts either. have fun and learn from every jump.

Why not try a Tunnel. They are an amazing tooland usually have an abundance of Instructors who can get your Sit working for you.

Here's why i don’t get tunnel coaching.

There are no tunnels anywhere near me and when ever i am near a tunnel the amount of money i would need to spend to get me to a point in the tunnel which is equivalent to the same point i am in the sky would be cost a small fortune.
i would need to go through the tunnel progression i.e., belly back walk sit etc...

That will take several hours of coached tunnel time.

Where at present i can exit a plane with a coach and work on my head down and sit skills straight away.

I'm not Dissing tunnels i think they are a great tool, but they are not the only way and not the most practical sometimes.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I tried the tunnel and got 50 min. I love it and helped me heaps with my backflying. BUT..I just can't sitfly in it. I spent a lot of money on coach jmps and I can take docks and stuff in the air...and I can't sit fly in the tunnel. :$>:(
so...you do have a point there Squeak