j5okeefe

Gear choices

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to skydiving (14 jumps) but thanks to spending time in Iraq, I'm looking forward to buying a new rig for myself when I'm back. I'm not at the skill level yet, but I absolutely cannot wait until I break into the world of freeflying. Most of my skydiving thoughts/dreams have to do with it.

That being said, I have been researching gear quite a bit and have some good ideas of what I want. I plan to be in touch with the folks at my local dropzone about gear selection. I'm not buying anything right now without asking for as many professional opinions as I can get. I just want your opinions on the best gear that will suit me well for freeflying as well as plain-ole belly down jumps.

But one of my biggest concerns right now I think will be best addressed by you all. Mainly I'm concerned with what container would be best for freeflying. I'm looking at a Javelin Odyssey or an Aerodyne Icon. Other containers aren't out of the question, but these two are keeping my attention.

Besides containers, are there any other pieces of equipment that should be considered carefully for freeflying? Sorry for being long-winded and probably incoherent. Thanks for helping!
I'll be whatever I want to do!

I'm looking forward to buying a new rig for myself when I'm back.

First, thank you for your service. :)
Any new rig from any of the major manufacturers will be more than adequate for freeflying, belly flying, wingsuiting, skysurfing, freestyle, or any other kind of flying you want to do. That said, all offer many options that may add comfort or performance. Try on some different rigs when you get back and see wich one you like best. Then talk with others about the options, most are personal choices. As far as other equipment for freeflying, get an audible altimeter, you will be flying at speeds faster than you are used to and you WILL lose altitude awareness at least once. Have fun.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Hey, thanks for the response. The audible altimeter is on the list of things to buy for sure. Is there a particular model that anyone is fond of?

As for the container, I guess I just figured that some equipment might be better suited for the different airflows and higher speeds.
I'll be whatever I want to do!

yeah, l & b for sure, whichever product you choose from them.

i'm a mirage fan and finally i can say that w/o anyone saying 'oh, he's sponsored...'

maybe 8000 jumps on mirages, on many different ones, never a problem, always tight, etc..

i'd personally put an infinity as my 2nd choice.

the short lead time w/ a mirage is just a bonus.

my 2 cents, take it for what its worth
max

As it was said before any major manuf. rig will do its job. My personal choices when I was looking for a new rig were vector, mirage, infinity. I got second rig and it happened to be vector again. Also I would suggest to buy used gear first since you probably not gonna settle with 230-260 canopy too long depending on your weight etc. and money will be lost when buying new gear. Only my 2 cents

Well,

as far as gear goes you will want to go with used canopies. But, then again everyone will tell you that and they would be correct. If you want to go with new anything it would have to be a new container. At least the container will be sized for you and it will move with your body instead of being to loose or too tight. Since you are military WINGS would be a good choice to pick. When I got back from Afghanistan I had gotten a Brand new WINGS container and they offer 50% off the price of the container and you pay full price for the options. I have moved onto Freeflying and the rig never goes any other place other than on my back. I have never been worried that when I transition from being on my back to a sit or whatever I do I never worry that it will move. That is just my opinion
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

hey dude, where in Iraq are you? I am in A.A
I am saving up all my money too for the SAME thing. Dude, i cant wait for the first time that door opens again!! I have been pretty poor on Marine Corps Dollars...so finally i am getting the money i deserve dammit!! anyways... hit me up dude!!

these are the ones that would look at seriously. vector 3, mirage, wings, infinity. I have owned a javelin and quickly swithced to vector 3, jav is NOT a bad rig I just feel that, it is not the best in any sense when compared to these others.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions. It'll definitely be a while before I actually decide on anything, so hopefully by the time I do decide I'll know exactly what I want. Blue skies,

Josh

Ok now that you are well over 14 jumps... What did you end up getting? I am going for my AFF at the begining of next season and all I can think about is freeflying. Did a search for gear in the forums and this was the first one to pop up. Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc

I am going for my AFF at the begining of next season and all I can think about is freeflying.

Perfect. Start saving your pennies now for a rig, and by the time you get a license and are buying your own rig, you'll be able to afford something 'nice'.

I'm kidding (sort of), but really any container built in the last 10 years is going to be freefly friendly. The container is your only concern when it comes to freeflying, the canopies or AAD have nothing to do with it (unless you buy an AAD besides a Cypres, then a misfire while you're doing 160mph on your head might be a problem. Buy a Cypres).

If you're buying new, it will be good for freeflying. If you're buying used, you'll need the help of a rigger to inspect anything you want to buy, so make sure you mention to them that freeflying is important to you, and they'll steer you clear of anything that might be problematic.

OK really, start saving money now. If you can pay for your training up-front, you'll probably get a discount and you'll be able to jump (and finish) as quickly as the weather will allow. Beyond that, you have to buy all of your gear -rig, jumpsuit, helmet, altimeter, audible, goggles, etc, and then you'll need money to jump it all.

One thing I know for sure, you can never show up to the DZ with too much jump money. I've shown up with too little, as-in not enough jump all day, and it sucks. I end up packing or doing things in the parking lot to make some quick cash for another couple jump tickets.

I am going for my AFF at the begining of next season and all I can think about is freeflying.

Perfect. Start saving your pennies now for a rig, and by the time you get a license and are buying your own rig, you'll be able to afford something 'nice'.

I'm kidding (sort of), but really any container built in the last 10 years is going to be freefly friendly. The container is your only concern when it comes to freeflying, the canopies or AAD have nothing to do with it (unless you buy an AAD besides a Cypres, then a misfire while you're doing 160mph on your head might be a problem. Buy a Cypres).

If you're buying new, it will be good for freeflying. If you're buying used, you'll need the help of a rigger to inspect anything you want to buy, so make sure you mention to them that freeflying is important to you, and they'll steer you clear of anything that might be problematic.

OK really, start saving money now. If you can pay for your training up-front, you'll probably get a discount and you'll be able to jump (and finish) as quickly as the weather will allow. Beyond that, you have to buy all of your gear -rig, jumpsuit, helmet, altimeter, audible, goggles, etc, and then you'll need money to jump it all.

One thing I know for sure, you can never show up to the DZ with too much jump money. I've shown up with too little, as-in not enough jump all day, and it sucks. I end up packing or doing things in the parking lot to make some quick cash for another couple jump tickets.

I agree with the money aspect. I have already gone for my license in 2006 and on my Category B I had a wicked hard opening and ended up with 2 cat scans and surgery. I have a helmet now which is good. I believe my wife is getting me the L&B Altitrack for christmas. I'm definitely not looking to buy new up front. I know that I won't buy new until I figure out the size of canopy I want to fly. Up front they will be too big and I will just waste money on new. (definitely been scouring the forums looking for advice) I can't wait to purchase one just for me though. Knowing it will fit perfect and was sewn together just to save my life.

Can't wait to go back next year... it seems so far away but I know when March comes and I am sitting there at Safety Day everything will be right in the world and I will be 25 jumps away from feeling like I belong.

Cheers!! Thank you for your advice about the Cypres!! That's huge and I haven't had anyone tell me that yet!!

Edit: to include Cypress comment. (stupid Dan)
Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc