SCOTT735

How many have broken a bone and jumped again after healing?

Virgin-burner, I see your POV and I know that skydiving may not be the safest thing for me. But, it is sooo much fun, just as long as I can keep my anxiety under control.

For now, I am going to do tandems and once I heal up (in 2-4 more months), I will make a decision if I want to continue or just stay with tandems.

For now, I am having fun though ;)

guineapiggie101,
Well it sounds like you will take your time and make the decision that is right for you. Sounds like you will stay involved (jump tandem instead of solo at least). Even if you never jump solo again you should still feel really good about what you have accomplished so far. I don't know many people (outside of the DZ) that have jumped out of an airplpane 26 times, so you are way ahead of most of us.
Good luck with your decision and heal well.

Thanks.

I do hope you are able to get back in the air again. It is really a unique, out of this world, experience.

Virgin-burner, I see your POV and I know that skydiving may not be the safest thing for me. But, it is sooo much fun, just as long as I can keep my anxiety under control.

For now, I am going to do tandems and once I heal up (in 2-4 more months), I will make a decision if I want to continue or just stay with tandems.

For now, I am having fun though ;)

that's good! :)
whatever you decide to do, i wish you the best of luck! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

First broken bone skydiving was middle finger in right hand. Started jumping 3 months later. Second accident broke pinkie finger dispatching static line student, jumped the next weekend. My last accident I broke my femur, my right shoulder and my C3. Was back in the air 5.5 months later. Done 700 or so jumps since last injury.

Broke right humerus (was a compound fracture) and shattered my right scapula due to premature deployment while freeflying (right after I finished a cartwheel). Needed a revision operation coz the first doc wasn't that talented, to put it politely. Took some months to build up muscles again and get everything moving the way it's meant to be but after 7 months I was back in the air. Scapula is still in (the last stages of the) process of remodelling (takes a lot of time) and my buddies will have to look there won't be any titanium parts scattered in my ash dive, but it's not too bad. I can do 9 or 10 tandems a day w/o problems :P
Have a look here. First row: X-rays 3 months after 1st operation, second row: X-rays after revision operation.

BTW: If you got operated on your metacarpals, take care the osteosynthesis material will be removed soon enough. If you turn up too late they won't be able to get it out without unnecessary high risk. Happened to a friend of mine - came back for "removing implants" after 6 months: "Too late" they told him.

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Is it OK to ask how many of you broke a bone during training and eventually kept jumping? Anyone do it more than once?
Not sure if this is a subject that folks don't like to discuss or not.

About 4-5 years ago on a skydiving trip to Kolomna (Russia) I had a hard landing and hurt my foot. A lot. 2 weeks and 100 jumps later I went back to UK then straight to Oman for a week. When I got back to the UK, with my foot still hurting pretty bad, I went to the hospital and found I had broken my heel. On reflection, I probably should not have jumped as much as I did...

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Haven't broken anything but i did sprain my ankle pretty bad on my category e jump. Waas out for 4 months because of it and was back to jumping. Hopefully i won't hurt myself again but with skydiving you never know.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Is it OK to ask how many of you broke a bone during training and eventually kept jumping? Anyone do it more than once?
Not sure if this is a subject that folks don't like to discuss or not.

I hurt my ankle this sat on a botched pavement landing and thought it was just a bad sprain. I stood around the hanger waiting for the rig to get packed so I could get on the manifest and noticed the swelling was ridiculous, a few minutes later I could not articulate it. I decided to get it looked at and found out the damage - Torn anterior talofibular ligament and two fractures. I plan on evaluating it with the Ortho and maybe jumping in four weeks.

Broken bones is not all you have to worry about, there is also muscle tears. I tore my labrum on jump 785 while flaring a tandem with a heavy set passenger.

SLAP Tear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAP_tear

I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery to put my shoulder back together and fix the dislocation. Doc put 5 suture anchors in my shoulder, which is an especially large tear. The good news is that they are biodegradable and will dissolve in a couple years.

It has been almost exactly 3 months from the surgery and I am still working on gaining full range of motion and strength in my shoulder. The doctor has told me that some permanent loss of range is likely in a tear as big as mine and that it would not be unusual for it to be over a year before I have full strength. Total cost of about $25,000 so far.

The lesson here is that if you feel tired, you need to stop. Don't keep pushing it when you feel like you have been doing pull ups all day from flaring so many tandems. Sometimes I also have the passenger help flare, but she was fat and weak and she needed to pick up her legs with her arms because she could not lift them for landing.

Also, I was lucky. The dislocation/ tear happened at about the 3/4 brake position and about 5 feet off the ground, so we just took a little tumble to the opposite side, which was in full brakes. If it had happened any higher, there could have easily been broken bones.

I tore a muscle on my ribs after a day of jumping, just from stretching out. I was stretching as if from a yawn and felt a pop that stung a bit. Felt the area where it happened and there was a little bump under the skin. It wasn't hurting when I packed up and got in the car for the 5 hour drive home, but it hurt like a motherfucker by the time I got home. I strained and gritted my teeth just trying to get the fuck out of the car. B| The tear was probably an inch wide. There was nothing that could be done about it. Just waited out the pain which eventually faded away. 7 or 8 years later, the bump is still there.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

7 or 8 years later, the bump is still there.

Ha yeah, I have two of those! Acquired at different times years ago on opposite sides of my sternum but not the same rib number... weird injury for sure.

On topic, I fractured my finger on exit once. Jumped again once that day, then had a couple of weeks off when the pain really set in :$
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Aw hell, I'll bite. Due to my own stupidity - I could've slid and walked away - and would have nowadays - I stupidly put a foot down, looking for the ground. I found it, April 24, 2004. Twisted my foot a full 180 degrees, tearing my ankle apart. The energy continued up my tib, breaking it in two places. That was not the problem, as the doctor said it would virtually heal itself in about 3 weeks.

The problem was with my ankle, which without a pin to hold it together for a while, would be a "floppy" foot for life. Had a pin installed and mercifully removed after 4 months (two seperate surgeries). It never hurt that much, but only when it was removed did I realize how GOOD it felt to have that damned pin GONE. Since then, I've been a bit smarter about my landings.

Hint: As nice as it is to stand up, or even run out a landing, it isn't really necessarry. Sliding and walking away with a few - or a whole bunch of - mud & grass stains is okay too. Trust me. Lesson learned !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I hurt my ankle this sat on a botched pavement landing and thought it was just a bad sprain. I stood around the hanger waiting for the rig to get packed so I could get on the manifest and noticed the swelling was ridiculous, a few minutes later I could not articulate it. I decided to get it looked at and found out the damage - Torn anterior talofibular ligament and two fractures. I plan on evaluating it with the Ortho and maybe jumping in four weeks.

DANGER RANGER

I'm not a Dr

But "almost back in the day" I was jumping with a sore ankle and tried to slide in down wind during a demo rather than trying to make a low turn into the wind.

Broke the fib and ankle on the good leg B| If your less than 99% you'll be favoring your bad leg and putting more stress on the good one.

About a month ago my choc lab tore her ACL in one leg and two days later she blew out the other leg (ACL) because she was favoring her bad legB|

Your body, your choice:)
R.
One Jump Wonder

I've broken myself skydiving a few times. I had my first broken ankle in the second grade when this fat kid pushed me off the balance beam. I've also broken myself on a diving board, while lifting weights, while running across the street, while snowboarding and recently this year, from falling off a ladder. I'm an equal opportunity Klutz. If my family complains about me skydiving, I point out that it's just as dangerous for me to be on the ground so I might as well have fun while I'm hurting myself. :ph34r:

Don't worry about being broken, it just makes you tougher. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I will preface my comment with this, i have sustained several traumatic injuries during my life (none skydiving) and this is how i think about tandems:

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing tandems... just have to put up with the crap they give you about it, but to be quite honest, if they give you crap about it, what does that say about them??

The experience of the skydive is soooo beautiful, it really shouldn't matter how you do it.

I know it is a sport for most, but for me it is more of a sensory experience squared by a sense of awe and wonder and curiosity about how the wind works.

I have 2 steel pins in my hip, broken right foot, extreme muscle loss below the knee on my left leg(leg exploded from being pinned between two objects), broken my left leg from ankle to knee, broken my arm, both big toes, so for me, to start with, tandem was a great way to approach skydiving

(even though the ti's thought me weird to keep tandem jumping, but i told them it was my form of therapy, when i really felt like saying it was none of their damm business, i was paying them to do it, it shouldn't matter to them one way or another)

so however you can enjoy the sky, do so!!!!have strength in how you exist for your self, not how someone else thinks is right for you to exist!!!!

Broke my femur and compressed a few vertebrae some years ago while parachuting. Was back in the saddle in about 3.5 months.

Am working through a sprained/fractured ankle injury right now and it's an incredible bummer...the weather here in Colorado is so beautiful right now!

I will preface my comment with this, i have sustained several traumatic injuries during my life (none skydiving) and this is how i think about tandems:

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing tandems... just have to put up with the crap they give you about it, but to be quite honest, if they give you crap about it, what does that say about them??

The experience of the skydive is soooo beautiful, it really shouldn't matter how you do it.

I know it is a sport for most, but for me it is more of a sensory experience squared by a sense of awe and wonder and curiosity about how the wind works.

I have 2 steel pins in my hip, broken right foot, extreme muscle loss below the knee on my left leg(leg exploded from being pinned between two objects), broken my left leg from ankle to knee, broken my arm, both big toes, so for me, to start with, tandem was a great way to approach skydiving

(even though the ti's thought me weird to keep tandem jumping, but i told them it was my form of therapy, when i really felt like saying it was none of their damm business, i was paying them to do it, it shouldn't matter to them one way or another)

so however you can enjoy the sky, do so!!!!have strength in how you exist for your self, not how someone else thinks is right for you to exist!!!!

Just would like to say Hi, I'm new on the forum and have done 2 tandems and I agree completely what you are saying. I love tandems and really don't have the time to commit to an AFF. I've also broken a few bones myself riding quads and other dumb stuff over the years. I broke my Left Humerus really bad on my Quad. I had to be air lifted out of the atv park took me 9 months to back to work, I still ride to ended up getting a bigger faster quad. Go figure.

Broke the tip of my ankle by banging it on the fuselage on exit from a Skyvan at the 2004 WFFC. Made two more jumps, drove home and hobbled around on it for a week before finding out it was broken. Was in a removeable cast for a while and jumping again in 6 weeks.

Broke my right wrist 7 weeks ago on landing (see attached pic). Was coming in hot, tried to punch the flair a bit harder, the grass was wet and my feet went out from under me. I made a rookie mistake of putting my arm out behind me to break my fall. Cast for 5 weeks and now in a removeable soft splint. Still hurts, but I can pull and do emergency procedures. Tough part is doing anything that requires a pushing or twisting motion. Packing is slow and uncomfortable! May try to get back in the air this weekend or next.

CDR

Back before square parachutes, in the day of the PC. There was a jumper from Madison Wisconsin who was a Gold Winger, Master Rigger, USPA I/E and a hell of a competitor in style and accuracy. Jack broke his leg on a bad landing and had a cast from his knee down. It wasn’t a walking cast so he continued to practice his profession as a hair dresser jumping around on the good leg. That good leg got so strong that Jack decided he could jump and land on the good leg. He figured the knee down cast would be manageable in free fall. It was, and Jack made a bunch of jumps like this. Then they got winded and Jack landed in a tree. While climbing down from the tree with a cast on his broken leg he fell and broke his good leg on landing.
Think about the conversation he told me he had with his orthopod:
“How did you break your other leg?”
pause
“I fell out of a tree”
pause...
“How did you get into a tree?”
long pause...
“I landed there in my parachute!”

“How did you break your other leg?”
pause
“I fell out of a tree”
pause...
“How did you get into a tree?”
long pause...
“I landed there in my parachute!”

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Typical skydiver.

Jump with a broken heelbone, jump with a broken upper arm, jump with a broken nose, jump with a couple broken metatarsals, jump with a broken tailbone, jump with a broken ankle, seen it all.

ciel bleu,
Saskia