SCOTT735

How many have broken a bone and jumped again after healing?

Wow, broken bones seems to just be part of the skygiving experience (it's still worth it).
Now I just want to learn better how to do a good safe, slow landing so that I don't break something every five jumps. And as you all have said...get proficient at the PLF. I have some things to work on before I will be ready to jump again...thanks. This sport is too amazing to just walk away from at this point.

Broken Tib/Fib, AFF-8.
I don't think an PLF would have even saved me.
We think it was equipment problems.
But a year after I was back in the air.
And so far, knock on wood, very good! No broken bones.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Hi Scott,
Broke right tib, fib MAR73 got 3 screws installed for the fix. Could have got back in the air sooner but held off till Jan. That was during the day of PC's and French Boots. Went on to RamAirs and never looked back. Screws still in place today. 'buggs me some in the winter when the weather changes but otherwise , no problem.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Broke my radius bone on exit on a 100+ way (door jam). Waited a month before I jumped again with a wrist brace with simple exits (no floater slots). It was another two months before I felt I could hang outside.

Broke a rib falling off a goddamn glue factory candidate (uppity horse). Waited 2 months, my choice.

Severely sprained both ankles jumping in high winds when I was a 50 jump noob. Wore two pairs of socks and ankle high lace up hiking boots and went back up the next weekend, and jumped 16 consecutive weekends after that.

Nowadays, I'm more content to sit down and heal fully before I jump. Not getting any younger. [:/]

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

guineapiggie101,
What happened on your jump? Sounds like you got pretty far before the injury. I understand the concern with jumping again (don't want another break).
I am trying to learn all I can so that I will have the nerve to jump again after I heal. I don't like the idea of quitting, it is just too amazing of a sport (I hope I can work it out).
My first jump was a tandem, but after the static line jumps, tandem just doesn't sound as fun (but I may try that again too before I get the nerve to continue my training).
I hope you heal well.

guineapiggie101,
What happened on your jump? Sounds like you got pretty far before the injury. I understand the concern with jumping again (don't want another break).
I am trying to learn all I can so that I will have the nerve to jump again after I heal. I don't like the idea of quitting, it is just too amazing of a sport (I hope I can work it out).
My first jump was a tandem, but after the static line jumps, tandem just doesn't sound as fun (but I may try that again too before I get the nerve to continue my training).
I hope you heal well.

I struggled a lot with AFF. It took me 24 jumps just TO get off AFF. I was on my 2nd solo jump when my accident occurred.

The accident was totally MY fault. I planned out my landing wrong and ended up coming downwind towards the main landing area (which is a no-no for a student). I was also coming in with my left leg sticking out (instead of tucked in for a PLF). Didn't flare enough or PLF, so landed very hard on my left leg and compounded fractured the tib/fib.

Due to my extreme anxiety, and my penchant for freaking out, that led to me making bad decisions that built upon each other and led to my accident.

Honestly, I am not sure what I am going to do in regards to continuing. Just recently I was finally able to get back up in the air and do tandems. So far, I am having a lot of fun with that. If I do want to continue with my licensing, I will have to wait at least 2 more months, if not more. I've already been out for about 3 months.

guineapiggie101,
I hope you heal well.

I struggled a lot with AFF. It took me 24 jumps just TO get off AFF. I was on my 2nd solo jump when my accident occurred.

The accident was totally MY fault. I planned out my landing wrong and ended up coming downwind towards the main landing area (which is a no-no for a student). I was also coming in with my left leg sticking out (instead of tucked in for a PLF). Didn't flare enough or PLF, so landed very hard on my left leg and compounded fractured the tib/fib.

Due to my extreme anxiety, and my penchant for freaking out, that led to me making bad decisions that built upon each other and led to my accident.

Honestly, I am not sure what I am going to do in regards to continuing. Just recently I was finally able to get back up in the air and do tandems. So far, I am having a lot of fun with that. If I do want to continue with my licensing, I will have to wait at least 2 more months, if not more. I've already been out for about 3 months.

i'm in no way trying to piss on your parade, BUT: do you really think it's wise to continue jumping?

skydiving's "scary" as it is, and it's pretty vital to keep a calm head when dealing with problems..

:|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

guineapiggie101,
Well it sounds like you will take your time and make the decision that is right for you. Sounds like you will stay involved (jump tandem instead of solo at least). Even if you never jump solo again you should still feel really good about what you have accomplished so far. I don't know many people (outside of the DZ) that have jumped out of an airplpane 26 times, so you are way ahead of most of us.
Good luck with your decision and heal well.