jasonRose

free flying to soon...

I started way before my instructors said i should but.....

When should a student be released to free fly? In my opinion once they show some decent belly skills they are ready to move on to basic FF stuff. Thoughts??? In my opinion jump numbers don't mean shit, currency is more important.
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

In my opinion once they show some decent belly skills they are ready to move on to basic FF stuff. Thoughts???

It's just falling. Anyone can do anything they want provided that it's not a safety hazzard.

If you can recover to your belly at any time during any jump (as-in, be able to safely deploy), then you're able to maintain your own safety for solo freefly jumps.

If you are able to monitor your position in the sky, and not slide up or down jump run, and invade the airspace of the previous/prior group, then you're able to maintain the safety of others while makign solo freefly jumps.

Beyond solos, it's all related to the skill levels of the individual jumpers.

The problem i have seen is people saying they are facing off jump run when practicing and beploy next to me (30 FT away) after i have deployed. People say they are doing it buy have no reference and are not paying attention. Also seen same thing happen 100 FT above my friend under canopy( new FF going down jump run).
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

While I'm by no means an expert (I'm still one hell of a newby who is just really thankful for having amazing influences around), but I am getting alot more experience talking to jumpers who are interested in freeflying and here is my best offering for advice...

Get lots and lots of advice about if you're ready...if the experienced freeflyers at your DZ don't think you're ready, then listen, ask why they think so and really heed their warnings...most people aren't trying to be mean or ruin your day for no reason...if they are good people (and most are) they are really just trying to keep you and everyone else safe.

If you are ready (very stable on your belly, EXTREMELY altitude aware without the crutch of an audible, and comfortable recovering from odd body positions to your stomach) then get even more advice...things like gear safety, exit order, jump run considerations, the fact that your skydive is going to get alot shorter, etc are things that any GOOD freeflyer at your DZ should be able to talk to you about...also, there is a ton of reputable info out there from parachutist and other skydiving sites about how to be a better informed freeflyer...read up...

now that you're informed...guess what...get even more advice about stable body positions, how to get yourself vertical and how to deal with it when you inevitably get wonkie (they don't call it free-flailing for nothing)...and if you're going to try it, I would recommend a coach or at least going out with a very very experienced freeflyer (and this means more than some other newby with 300-jumps like myself) to help be a point of reference for you and to help keep you from being all over jump run...this doesn't have to cost you a fortune, but at least for the first little while this can be a great reference to keep you and everyone else on the load safe (especially if you aren't jumping from a cessna or getting your own pass)...

regardless...just be safe and be realistic about it...don't take offense when its just not time yet (hell, I appreciate my friends and instructors more for giving me the advice that saves my ass)...I know that skydivers are type-A personalities and want to be the best at everything the first time they do it (and even when they suck they often don't feel any remorse telling everyone in a forum that they're a sky-god)...but this isn't just some pick-up football league...screwing up doesn't get you a yellowcard...it can get people really hurt...so don't let your ego get in the way of becoming a better skydiver...

no...jump numbers don't mean everything...its a combination of currency, ability and experience, and for everyone it will be different...all i can hope for is that people are honest with themselves, and when you're unsure, err on the side of a bit of caution...

blue ones!
- ever the spazz

Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart, give yourself to it...

If you are able to monitor your position in the sky, and not slide up or down jump run, and invade the airspace of the previous/prior group, then you're able to maintain the safety of others while makign solo freefly jumps.

And therein lies the biggest problem I've seen with people starting to freefly. I wish more people would get coaching and ask lots of question...I've been shocked to see a ton of fresh-off-student status types going out to 'work on their sit', lately, without a bit of coaching. Glad I'm not going out after them...I worry for the students. B|

To the OP, I don't think anytime after getting their A license (or equiv.) is 'too soon'...provided the person gets a briefing on it from someone with much more experience. Esp. since the person is likely to be backsliding like mad, anyway...
Signatures are the new black.