Zoter

Choosing a New Rig for a New Skydiver is confusing!

Help please.....Im a recent Cat.8 and am lucky enough to be able to afford a 'new' first rig .

How the heel do I decide what to get...what container, main, reserve etc......obviously I dont want some canopy that is going to kill me...but Im very happy ( as are my instructors) with my control on a Mantis 280 ( dont laugh!) but I want something I can 'grow' into.....what size of canopy should I be looking at and how the hell do you figure out what type of rig to get....HELP !!!:)

Have you talked to your instructors? They'd be the best folks to talk to about this. They see you fly every weekend, and know what sort of canopy and what size you should be flying for your main and reserve. With that in mind, they'll probably be more then happy to help you find a rig that is good for you. Just talk to them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

you will get a lot of answers on what brands to get, but for the size of your canopy, ask your instructors! They are the ones who know your weight, have seen you land, and probably know what you can handle.

honestly, I would recommend renting gear for your next few jumps, and paying attention to what brand/container you are jumping, and you can also ask your instructors, or other very experienced jumpers what they like.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Yeah I have asked my instructors about canopies...but I figure they just are being conservative when they say...." jump the size you are used to"....Im not an idiot and Im not reckless...but I want something that I can grow into.....Im just tryimg to get an idea of what other 'Cat8's" did after the dotted line was signed...
AS for containers.....whats your advice...? I LOVE the Mirage G3...(in specs and looks so far of course)

Rig wise, you dont need to grow into any rig. Pretty much all the major brands are good. Some are awsome at customer service, some less, but pretty much all the gear is good. It usually comes down to personal preference. You say you like the Mirage, I dont, but I would never try to talk someone out of one coz its just my 100% unbased opinion.

Canopy wise, getting something to grow into is not the wisest move. Get something you can handle. I'm not sure what you mean with "grow into" but statements like that scare me.

Your instructors are better equiped to answer your questions then us.. we dont know you or how you fly.
Remster

I don't know how much you weigh but a 280 is way too big if you are buying a brand new rig.

Why spend all that money for somthing that I gurantee, you will be sick of in 20 jumps or less.

Go to a drop zone that has a DEMO PROGRAM.
Downsize to somthing a little more interesting, over the course of a few months and then start looking at buying gear.

scott

I don't know how much you weigh but a 280 is way too big if you are buying a brand new rig.

Exactly... You dont know... Maybe he weighs 250 lbs. In that case, a 280 gives him a 1:1 wingload. Definatly not way too big. We just dont know.

Instead of assuming, why not ask before making a blind recommendation?

Dont assume in this sport.
Remster

Im not an idiot and Im not reckless
but I want something that I can grow into

You'd be surprised how many jumpers bought gear thinking that they could "grow into it". You'd probably be more surprised if you knew how many of them no longer skydive because they were badly injured, or worse, killed. The problem with buying gear that you'll grow in to, is that you need to know how to fly it NOW, not 6 months or a year from now, NOW.

Listen to your instructors, they have the expereience and the judgement to advise you in this matter.

I LOVE the Mirage G3...(in specs and looks so far of course)

Buy whatever container floats your boat, they're all just fine these days.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Totally agree with Jim here. Do NOT buy something to "grow into it" - it is too risky.

Why don't you rent gear until you have a few more jumps and then re-visit the issue?
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I second that rental path. Put the money into tickets first, that'll earn you more.

You'll need to do quite some careful jumps on smaller canopies if you want to downsize, because even after 50 jumps you do not KNOW all of what the smaller canopy has in stock for you.

If somebody tells you something is right for you and you dont feel comfy with that, let it be.

I jumped a 120 for the first time early this year and it didn't feel like being able to handle it in a stress situation then (i did like 50 jumps on the 135 before that).
45 jumps or more on the 135 later, i wanted to try the 120 again and then it was different, i liked it alot.
Still, now with about 40 jumps on the 120, i'm being very catious, because it is still damn fast, but i can control it in my limits.

IMHO there's one major rule on your own gear: It must be the right one for you, nobody else, and you must be able to handle it.

Just my 0.02$:P
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Considering you are just starting most of what you will probably be doing is belly flying and getting to know your parachute..

I would get a Jevelyn or Wings container. Hell even a Dolphin is good. I am told the Dolphin reserve fires more over your head than straight back so that could work to your advantage in some malfunctions.

PD reserve..

Aerodyne Research Triathlon main.. Loaded at 1.0 - 1.1.

Starting on a seven cell canopy wil give you an advantage and build usefull muscle memory when the times comes to fly your seven cell reserve. That muscle memory can keep you from getting hurt. You will learn slow speed flight, accuracy and have a canopy that flies through chop very well under the Triathlon.

Get an RSL.

And a Cypress.

Also a full faced helmet.

This is a good start..

Also.. Find a mentor that has a great safety record and that obviously knows what he is doing. You can learn this by simply keeping your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open at the dz..

Rhino

You can learn this by simply keeping your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open at the dz..

i disagree with this statement, newbies (like myself) should never be afraid to ask questions. we should always keep our eyes and ears open to new information but we should also seek it out as well

Hey Zoter, You just got some of the best advice you will ever get. Growing into a canopy is exactly what will get you hurt or killed. You should downsize at a slow pace and make sure you are comfortable with what you are on before going smaller. A demo program with supervised training is the only way to be safe. Don't get in a hurry. Slow and safe will keep you jumping for a long time.

Hi

Personaly I would suggest buying second hand gear,
because it is very rare for any new jumper to jump the same canopy size for more than 50 jumps.

I was also one of the people that wanted to buy new
gear after getting my A license. I am very happy I didn't for the following reasons.

While jumping as a student I jump 285 skymaster and it was very cool for the first 20 jumps.
Then I graduated got my A license and tried a club convertion rig which was a 190 Hornet. I really thought I would never jump smaller than a 190 because it was so fast compared to the 280.

So I started looking for new gear. I started asking around and consulted my instructor who took one look at me and said buy second hand you'll be down sizing in +- 50 jumps to a 170 and after another 50 to a 150.

I am +- 138lbs, I have a total of 70 odd jumps and I am flying a 150 Hurricane. Now imagine if I bought new gear equip with a 190 ... I would have wasted alot money.

So my 2c buy something second hand until your have more experience and know for certain what you want to be jumping for at least the next 2 years.

Cheers