spencer

filming tandems on back

I have over 2000 camera jumps filming tandems, belly to earth, but I have watched back flyers and the footage is amazing, so I have started to turn on my back, and also started to practice on solo jumpers, I feel relaxed but the wind on my legs is so strong I tend to slowly carve away from them and then have to turn and carve back to them, another problem is that when I turn from belly to back, I fall away from them, I know this if because I loose alot of surface area going onto my back, is it better to have my arms out above my heag or by my sides, the wind is so strong pushing my legs, I did only 15 min in a tunnel, not nearly long enough.. one good thing though is once on my back I stay pretty level with who ever I am filming, but when I try to rise up I can not, I hope one day soon, I will do a jump and it will happen, and I will say to myself is that all I had to do.

Hey man,

First off, you might have better luck posting this in the camera forum or at least getting one of the mods to move the thread for you.

Second, are you wearing wings when you film tandems?

I find that if i am transitioning from belly to back i will pop my wings to get slightly above the tandem pair and then do my transition to my back, which will bring me back on their level again. i back fly with my arms out to my sides and kind of lean back on my wings, so almost a modified sit position really.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

It is a lot of fun B| to fly on your back with TMs. I have found that if I do a "pamal horse" transition that I do not lose as much altitude from the TM pair. I have also learned to spread your knees left and right to gain more altitude with the pair (thanks GW).
I mostly fly with my arms out to my sides, it sits me up more for the correct angle for photos.

Just experiment and see what works for you!

Stay safe,

Arvel

BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Oh ok cool, i am six foot tall as well, but i weigh in the region of 85 kg's, so i like the range that my wings give me, being able to stay with very small passengers especially :$

This is the position i fly in when i film bigger tanedm pairs (little kids i have to fly on my belly): http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2150198;page=3;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;, my pics are in the post at the bottom of the thread. Sometimes i roll even further back though, especially on opening

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I use a wing jacket and can do it in shorts or pants. It's nice to be able to do either. And I film the whole thing on my back...from exit to deploy....that way the transition isn't an issue. Plus, I can go SOOO much slower on my back than on my belly, all while staying low enough so I'm not just filming the instructors face. And it's not really a 'sit' or back flying position (for me anyway), it's more of a reclining position....arms out to your side.
my pics & stuff!

isn't there the danger of you stealing the air from the tandem, makeing them crash down on you?
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I have been filming tandems on my back for a couple of years now mainly due to being very light and unable to keep up with the big guys belly down. I find you can get right underneath with no real worry about them dropping on you as they get a lot of support from the drogue. Some TMs are fine with it and some don't like it as they do get burbled a bit. I have a suit with 1/4 size cup wings and these are great with loads of pop up when you need it. It also means you can work on your freeflying while earning more cash for the tunnel.

As stated many times before flying directly below the tandem pair is extremely unsafe. Stop doing it.

Im just curious.. What exactly makes it extremely unsafe ?

I can see that it may bring a little more risks to the equation, but why extremely unsafe ?

When you have a premature opening and the camera flyer is underneath the tandem pair what do you think is going to happen?

When the tandem has a premature opening and the camera flyer is underneath what do you think will happen?

Now in both scenarios, what happens if you are not under the pair, but 5 feet off to one side?

Do we really have to have another fatality to emphasize the "danger areas" of tandems?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

1.When you have a premature opening and the camera flyer is underneath the tandem pair what do you think is going to happen?

2.When the tandem has a premature opening and the camera flyer is underneath what do you thing will happen?

3.Now in both scenarios, what happens if you are not under the pair, but 5 feet off to one side?

4.Do we really have to have another fatality to emphasize the "danger areas" of tandems?

I don't film underneath tandems but let me answer these questions in the way that I would see them happening.

1. If the camera flyer has a premature that is very bad news.

2. If the tandem has a premature while over a camera flyer not much will happen. There's the possibility of a trap door affect and that will mean a very very minor collision.

3.a. if you were off to the side probably not much could happen. There could be possibility of the cameraflyer colliding with the drouge.

3.b. if the tandem had a premature probably not much would happen either. The tandem could get that same trap door and now be underneath the camera flyer which then the camera flyer might now be in the burble of the tandem and possibly being entangled in the canopy.

4. no
Na' Cho' Cheese

Jarrett, thanks, but again I must repeat that being that steep on a TM is not a great Idea!!!!

However, I do not have an AAD which could fire, and I have a POP, so even with a disloged Pud I will have NO PC out, just some things to think about.

Plus, thanks for pointing out I can be used as a bad example!!! :S

Stay Safe,

Arvel

2. If the tandem has a premature while over a camera flyer not much will happen. There's the possibility of a trap door affect and that will mean a very very minor collision.

Tell that to the people who died in such collisions. Tell their families they were minor fatalities [:/]

Under/over a tandem is a f*cking NO FLY zone. Over.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

with a regular jumper you do whatever you want as long as all parties are OK, hybrids, pull in your face, MrBill, whatever.

Not with a passenger ! Specially in the US where ratings are granted by manufacturers who set their rules and are authorised to yank ratings (if I understand correctly). AFAIK no manufacturer recommends flying over/under tandem pairs.

Ok.. Im not gonna argue with you here.

Though I think its kinda two faced since a lot of people say it shouldnt be done and then they do it them selves..

For instance, I know you have been in empuria several times. So you maby know a lot of people and their qualifications there. One of the biggest tandem factorys in the world..

How many camera flyers can you find who wouldnt fly constantly under the tandem ?

How many camera flyers can you find who wouldnt fly constantly under the tandem ?

I don't really watch their tandem videos, but if you look at Vincent V.L.'s or Bruno B.'s videos, they don't film from directly under the tandem (except maybe the occasionnal pass, I don't watch tandem videos unless I film them or am asked to give my judgement on them )

I don't really watch their tandem videos, but if you look at Vincent V.L.'s or Bruno B.'s videos, they don't film from directly under the tandem (except maybe the occasionnal pass, I don't watch tandem videos unless I film them or am asked to give my judgement on them )

Go and search "empuria" and "tandem" on youtube and take a look at some of the tandem videos there.. With quick overlook on those videos I couldnt find a single one where the camera guy wouldnt be under the tandem..

Im not saying that them doing so justifys filming from under the tandems at all. Im just saying its very very common..