pre7117

HEADDOWN SPEED RECORD

Its all very well getting a record from going up really high, but I've just set a new femal world record for head down speed Skydiving measured by Official Protracks. My speed Was 275.09 MPH (442.73 KMPH) average over a vertical KM.

Opps didn't mean to brag!! ;)

Sunshine, Blue Skies and more Alititude

What upsets me is that they do the whole "mach 1" crap. Mach 1 at 40,000 feet is NOT the same as mach 1 at 1,000 feet. When Kittinger made the balloon jump back in 1960, it was said he broke the sound barrier, but he never really did.

Actually, he did. Regardless of the speed, the "sound barrier" is a variable determinable by its altitude. Kittinger broke the barrier to which sound is limited in its speed of travel at his particular altitude when he punched through it. If you were anywhere near him at that moment, a sonic boom would have been heard.

The sound barrier that I believe you are referring to, from ground level I think, is located at a higher speed because of atmospheric pressure being different near the ground.

Regardless, the dude was falling pretty fast; barrier or not. Don't know if I'd have the cahonez (sp?) to do that anyway. I believe he even passed out on the way down. Pretty friggin ballsy from the movies of it.

641 mph is what he did... And yes, given the altitude he had and the temperature involed, he did get faster then the speed of sound.

What we know:

100 000ft exit
641mph top speed

Now I estimed roughly that to get to terminal speed given the small density of the air at that altitude it would have taken 20 000ft.

And then, this nice little calculater comes in:http://www.aerospaceweb.org/design/scripts/atmosphere/

At that altitude, the speed of sound is around 585 mph, so yes, kittenger holds the record to be the first man going over mach 1 in freefall.

But, what this guy wants to do is to go over the speed of sound at sea level units, which gives 742 mph.

pressurized suit. Kittinger had one too and I think he even had to abort one or two jump at 60 000ft because of the suit being not strong enough. And even on the last attempt, the succesful one, his glove had a hole in it but he sustained the pain and got all the way up to the 100 000ft.