CanEHdian

Freefly World Record

Cause freefly bigways are probably the most dangerous of all in the sport. I had a collision on a head down bigway two years ago and it was due to my inability to handle the stress. Both of us were ok, just a bent nose on the other dude, but it could have been MUCH worse. Taking it to a D requires flyers to have that much more experience, before slapping themselves on the list. i think it's a good idea, personally.

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

Hehe... Yes, of course, freefly bigways are dangerous... which is why Alchemy held 2 qualifying camps in Perris this winter and will also hold another just before the event in Chicago. Nobody gets to just slap themselves on the list. The skills and experience required to make it are a lot more demanding than what the requirements are for the D license... which makes the license irrelevant really and that's my point. For instance, someone with 1000 jumps and just a B license could have attended the camps and been selected based on their performance, but now they need to jump through a bunch of red tape hoops (exams, logbooks, etc...) to actually participate in the event. What does the license really add to this individuals freefly qualifications? (i.e. night jumps, etc...)

Anyway, it's no big deal. One can always write the exams and get the logbooks signed.

I'm curious, is the D license a requirement for all skydiving world record attempts?

Cheers,
Al
Time's flying, and so am I...
(69-way, 108-way and 138/142-way Freefly World Records)

I think the FAI requires a D or equiv. and yes you do need a FAI license.
This is for U.S. citizens. 800 644 9777

Dave
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I'm curious, is the D license a requirement for all skydiving world record attempts?

Yes.

It's also required that everybody on the record jump still be alive 24 hours later (this is an FAI requirement for the jump to be certified as a record). So no goin' really big that night whilst celebrating - you wouldn't want the record not becoming official to be your fault. ;)

Yes.

It's also required that everybody on the record jump still be alive 24 hours later (this is an FAI requirement for the jump to be certified as a record). So no goin' really big that night whilst celebrating - you wouldn't want the record not becoming official to be your fault. ;)

If you were dead, would you care?:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Interesting, the SDC website has changed again:

"Please remember that you need a CURRENT FAI sporting license. Also a CURRENT USPA license or foreign equivalent. You will not be allowed to be on any record jumps unless you have both."

They've removed the "D" as a license requirement.
Time's flying, and so am I...
(69-way, 108-way and 138/142-way Freefly World Records)

The FAI does not require a "D" license to get a sporting license and the record does not either. It does require that everone be safe and able to complete the jump. That is what the qualifyng camps are for. People do not just get to "slap their names on the list". ?You must have the skill, and safety awareness to be able to handle a jump like the world record.