the_sarge

High-res pictures of freeflying

There are plenty of sites out there by skydivers who sell photos. For you to ask photographers who on average have around $3,000.00 into their helmet setup to just SHARE their photos to be used for someone else's gain is quite audacious. I have some and I'd be willing to sell the full res image but not for less than $50 each. You be lucky to find anyone to sell the image. That is the property of the photographer. Once the photographer sells the image, anything can be done with it. Hope you understand this.

Well... I have an equal amount of camera gear on my own helmet, and i am happy to share my photos with anyone just in order to promote the sport.

There are plenty of sites out there by skydivers who sell photos. For you to ask photographers who on average have around $3,000.00 into their helmet setup to just SHARE their photos to be used for someone else's gain is quite audacious. I have some and I'd be willing to sell the full res image but not for less than $50 each. You be lucky to find anyone to sell the image. That is the property of the photographer. Once the photographer sells the image, anything can be done with it. Hope you understand this.

Thats an audacious coment. You must be the sky god of photogaraphy. Every magazine and ad firm must be on their knees begging for your shots.

Not everyone is willing to share, but some people are. Not everyone is in the business end of Freeflying Photography.

I have about an $4500 investment now that i just purchase a Nikon D-50 for Digital Stills. Until recently I only jumped a Sony DCR so I have nothing in Hi Res. If I had anything worth sharing, I would, provided my credentials were listed.

I also have the experience and skill to take good shots of 2-Way to Big Way.

No reason to get offended, it's just your preference to not give away photo's. But certainly not everyones opinion. Nor should anyone take offense with your stance.

Experiencein skydiving has nothing to do with my coment. I am a photographer and writer for over 5 magazines world wide as well as an athlete who dose catolag shoots for clothing companies around europe. where do you get the idea that skydive numbers make you the MAN in photography. Skydiving is such a small (which is giving it lots of credit) in the photography world that if you are a good airlal photographer you would love to have your photos seen and published even if you have to give a few away or let them be in a gallery. Its kind of like a artist showing off his work so that people actualy know his work exists so that he might fund someone to buy the work. If you don't show your work somehow and it sits on your computer then how are you ever going to sell it. How about getting off your high horse and looking outside the box.

If not for yourself but for the sport

If you're a professional photographer I'm surprised you don't see more sense in freefli's comments. Your comments about the skydiving photography market ring true and I'm sure there's camera flyers out there who'd be happy to share for the satisfaction or good self promotion, but as you should know professionals charge for their work - it's our profession.

If a DZ is using these images for commercial gain whats wrong with the photographer gaining too?

Also worth adding to this thread that you don't have to 'sell' (the ©), you can licence the image.

:)

but what do I know

What your not understanding here, is that a business (the DZ) is asking for high quality photography pictures in order to make money off of the visual allure they present.

If your in the business, I don't understand how you think this makes sense? If you plan on making money from your promotional work, then you damn well better be willing to pay for your advertising. No where else in any other sport would this be accepted by a freelance photographer.

I currently have a deal with a ground photographer that pays me by the day to do aerial shots for him using a 5k camera. He then sells the photos and rights to stock libraries such as Getty. End user then pays for the rights to the photo. If you want to cut out the middle man, just pay a guy to get some shots for you....hell...he might even do it for slot!

If you become a professional skydiving photographer someday, you will understand that it is difficult to compare terrestrial photography to what we do, and that jump #'s = experience. The more experience the better the shots, and less likely they will be willing to just GIVE you a shot for you to make money off of.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I do get where your coming from but if you just keep your photos to yourself they can never get out and make money for you. If you have a photo in a setting where people will see it and maybe want to buy it you can sell it? If you have your copyrights and contact info on the photo they can not be published without you getting paied. Have a look at the attached photo to see how I do it with my photographer. Other than that everyone will do as they wish and some will get there photos published and seen more than others.