Ktownbret

Head Down Help

Going to be jumping in Pitt Friday, Saterday and Sunday. Come on out and help me keep that King Air running.

hopefully gonna be jumping in kamloops this weekend but not sure yet. Will be out there the weekend after next though.

welp looks like i am going down to pitt this weekend now

Ok, I'm getting my drive/backslide under control. Still needs to be a little smoother, and slower, but i am getting it figured out.

The transisions seem to be getting better, the more time I spend on my head.

I've acctually been able to use it as a tool to get down to groups sitflying.

The next thing I think I need to learn is how to slow it down. I'm taking right off on sit flyers. My coach told me to keep my arms loose just kind of dangling in front of me, palms towards my feet. He told me I will need to push against the wind with the outsides of my feet.

Can anybody add anything else to this?
www.okanaganskydive.com

GRRRR Head down is winning over me!! I have 30- 40 min daffy in the tunnel w/ an instructor holding on 2 me. 10 HD sky jumps, very zoomy! Straddle seems good... Daffy in the sky is a giant helicopter.. No corking, just craziness, zoomy (track) or spinny (360's) All 2 way w/ vid.. sooooooo frustrating!!!

keep at it.............It won't happen over night.

There is a big difference between being in the tunnel and having a coach hold you while you practice the position (daffy in this case), and actually doing it by yourself in the tunnel or sky. Also 10 Freefly jumps / attempts is hardly scratching the surface. I would expect it takes the average Freefly student 75-100 jumps to start seeing noticeable improvement.

You must commit to Freeflying to progress at freeflying. Stick with coaching and solos to practice what you've learned and you will get better. If it was easy........everyone could do it in 10 jumps.

Freeflying is not easy its hard to master, so you must commit and have realistic expectations.

Not sure how proficient you are with HD yet.........

But some techniques for slowing down in HD are:

1.) Push and spread your legs out harder, check video your legs may not be out as far as it feels like they are.

2.) Scoop air with your feet, don't point your toes.

3.) Switch between Regular and Daffy, Daffy is harder to figure out but will usually slow you down a little.

4.) You can do a quick little leg kick to slow you down or pop you back up.

5.) Not sure what your weight is, but a thicker suit with polycotton or parapack can help with fall rate issues, with bigger guys.

when I am finding myself out of control seems to be when i tense up. Relaxing really seems to be the key for me. Try making a goal on your next jump just to be as relaxed as you possibly can. I call them my "Zen jumps".

...might help?

...all i have at this point.
www.okanaganskydive.com

when I am finding myself out of control seems to be when i tense up. Relaxing really seems to be the key for me. Try making a goal on your next jump just to be as relaxed as you possibly can. I call them my "Zen jumps".

...might help?

...all i have at this point.

Relaxing is such a pain in the ass to do but you just gotta find out what relaxs you in the sky. For me its taking 30 seconds at about 8K feet to close my eyes and just think about something other than skydiving, for Tyler its chewing gum and for others its taking a nice deep breath before leaving. From what you have seen of me i am not the greatest freeflier but my best shit has always been from when i wasn't really thinking. It just went through my mind i want to take that dock and bam i went off and took the dock without thinking about how to do it. Just don't overthink shit as much and stuff will probally start to get easier.

sounds like some good stuff. We got rained out yesterday, but today we have sun and I'm going to try to really spread it out and scoop some air with my toes.

The daffy still feels really weird for me.

Can you elaborate on this little leg kick that your talking about?
www.okanaganskydive.com

GRRRR Head down is winning over me!! I have 30- 40 min daffy in the tunnel w/ an instructor holding on 2 me. 10 HD sky jumps, very zoomy! Straddle seems good... Daffy in the sky is a giant helicopter.. No corking, just craziness, zoomy (track) or spinny (360's) All 2 way w/ vid.. sooooooo frustrating!!!

Okay, I object!! I've SEEN you in the tunnel and you are doing great. It's not going to be long before you have it down cold, not to mention unassisted. ;)
TPM Sister #102

I'm having the same problem. If you go to the gym, I'd recommend using the abductor machine (where you have to pull your legs apart into a straddle), and also work on your straddle flexibility through stretching. I have very tight hips and have a hard time getting my legs very far apart, but I think abductor muscle building and flexibility work is helping. I'd also stress how important it is to flex (not point) your toes. When you flex hard, you will feel the drag of the air on the top of your foot and it will feel like you are hanging upside down by your feet on the drag of the air. It feels pretty cool. I found that I really needed to focus hard to get my feet to flex completely, but when it happened, I was surprised how it impacted my speed. I'll also add to all the other comments that coaching and video make a world of difference!
It's great to hear from others going through the same learning process. Let's keep at it! :D

Hey guys , i'm really no expert on head down but i managed to learn extremely fast when i had about 150 jumps . 3 things that helped me .

1 jump with people who are better than you . y because it inspires you not to suck anymore & work hard .

2 watch videos , i saw about every headdown video in skydivemovies.com & trust me it works .

3 just relax & have fun ,visualize yourself headown looking @ everything upside down . remember your body is like a dart when HD . your torso is the anchor of the dart & your arms & legs are like your feathers that guide your body . well atleast thats what someone told me .

well i hope this helped !

ya, its surprising how much concentration it takes me to change my body position in any way when head down. It is getting more and more natural on every jump. I already do alot of stretching, but i could see how the abductor machine could help. I have been getting some great coaching and it definatly has helped me.
www.okanaganskydive.com

Jumping with people better then you definatly helps. At my dz we dont have any really good freeflyers, just a few peeps who are around my level. We still learn from each other, but i get 10X more from my jumps in Vancouver where there is alot more expieriance.

As far as the vids, I think I have seen most of them. Remedy kicks ass. Watched it last week. I think the best flying I have ever seen. It helps to watch them, but its hard to see the little things they are doing.

...and I've definatly been called a lawn dart befor

Thanx for the input
www.okanaganskydive.com

Coaching coaching coaching!!

I know you said you don't have a lot of experienced freeflyers out there in your area...but I suggest telling the boss to f*ck himself/herself and take a trip for a week, get a lot of coaching jumps in a short amount of time from a really good coach, and you'll get it.

Head down is one of the easier positions....once you get it you get it, the rest is all precision....and coaching can help you with that too.

Good luck! :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Ok, now I have about 2 hours HD daffy in the tunnel, one 'click' jump in the sky, straddel. All was well, untill.... now I'm not allowed to use my arms for balance any more. Giant steps Backwards! How do you stop the: front back front back front back?

Yayyyyy K!

It's so amazing watching someone "get it", no matter what it is they are trying to learn in this sport. It is what I love about it. The opportunity to watch people grow and become more aware every time they do it. Have fun be safe and get a good coach to help you every 20 or 30 jumps.

Be safe!

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

Thanks for the feedback. I need more sky coaching! Tunnel is great, but its hard to relax when your zooming is only allowed 12 ft! I'm glad to hear your doing well, and I know they all want small movements, now if only my muscles would listen....;)

Ididnt understand the previous question either?

I also think there is no replacment for a great coach. I have seen some of my friends from Vancouver progress much faster because they jump and hang with awsome freeflyers everyday. Consistently getting great advice. It definatly helps.

But for some people, like me this thread and others like it have been a huge help. Hearing what other people have struggled with and how they worked out the problem has helped me get through some issues. Not as much as coaching, but it has helped.

I'd also like to call out all the pro coaches out there. The freefly orginizers, the guys out there charging their slot plus? Havn't seen any of you 10,000 jump freeflyers given up alittle of their magic?

I'd like more expierianced freelyers to help with ideas for jump plans, drills, ground training, exits, things they wished they learned first? or differantly? Common bad habits. anything else?
www.okanaganskydive.com