anewempire

drifting while on headdown exits

me and some friends started freeflying (sitflying) recently and we started doing head down exits then when we let go of each other we go into a sit because we obviously aren't anywhere near ready for headdown on our own. i know when learning head down you track like crazy all over the place and lately i was wondering if we were doing that while holding on to each other or if when in that position it's easy to stay in one spot? cause if we're all over the place i totally will back down from that till i get more experience. just trying to be safe. thanks

I'm sure you'll hear this from others (and it is the standard line for obvious reasons):

Don't go head down too early. You will:

1) Drift up and down the line of flight, across other groups because you're actually in a steep track, not head down
2) If you form bigger groups, it's quite likely you'll lose control at some point. "Corking" is highly dangerous as the closing speeds are much higher. Head down can easily be 180 mph; you're looking at 50+ mph closing speeds - and people have suffered internal injuries through collision.

Most coaches I've known recommend doing at least a whole season sit/stand before moving to head down. Avoid it for now.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

oh yeah for sure. i'm not going head down anytime soon at all. we were just playing around with the head down exits the other day where we would hold onto each other and as soon as we were stable head down together we would let go and flip instantly into a sit. thats why i'm confused about the drifting because we are together when we're head down not when we aren't holding on to each other. i appreciate all the comments i can get from more experienced jumpers. thanks

A few years ago when I was just sit flying I went out with 3 other friends that thought they were doing great head down all of them had well over 500 jumps. I exited from the camera step and rode the hill down on my back watching them exit from inside. I saw them come from my right side steaking accross the sky way to my left side, practically tracking in a 3-way high-low exit (very solid) position.

They eventally broke apart so we could turn some sit points as a 4 way.

On the ground they were all high fiving eachother with the great exit. I told them what I saw. The biggest head in the group didn't believe me till we watched my video - it was crazy.

Because of that jump when I started HD (with over 500 jumps almost 400 of them sitflying) I paid for real coaching.

Why waste time training the wrong position in your muscle memory? Do a few coach jumps, get a good position, do lots of solos. Then when you're not a missile in the sky, pay an experienced friend's slot (or just ask them to go with you). They can act as your ball in the sky almost a teather. If you're far away from them, you're messing up. Get back to your "ball". And always, if you don't know if you're going up or down the line of flight - get into your stable position (ball, sit or back).

edited to add:
thank you for being safety consious!!!

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

When your learning head down and especialy exits you really need to be with at least 1 really strong freeflyer. When doing a 4 way I would say have 2. They will know what is going on and will be able to correct it. If its not stable when you leave the plane you don't want to hold it until it is because you'll be all over the place while trying to make it stable. I'm happy that your asking a really good question, there a lot of people who just try to "wing" it out the door and its not safe for you or the other people in the sky. Be safe and take it slow. And one thing to always keep in mind is that a lot of people think they are doing right but it doesn't mean they are so you have to really becareful about what types of jumps your doing and who your doing it with. Its hard to say to people that it may be out of your leauge but it will only benifit you in the end if your heads up about where you are in your freeflying skill level and not trying to skip a step. I hope this helps you. Steph
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

I'd follow the advice in this thread....It is sound advice.

To answer your specific question. It's typical for folks to drift apart during HD exists. This is usually because the people in a group are only staying together because they are holding each other together.

When people are holding the formation together it becomes obvious. Telltale signs are tension on the grips and the formation spinning or driving. When you let go everyone will sling shot apart.

This is happening because no one is flying the exit. If you are flying your slot, you do it from th exit until the end of the skydive. If you are flying your slot when you exit with grips, then letting go should mean that you stay in position, regardless of grips.

The best training method (AFTER you are proficcient at HD), is to exit in 3-4 Way without Grips and take them only if you are flying cleanly enough to take grips.

Exiting in a group and holding each other together is just going to cheat yourselves, an teach bad habits.

Food for thought.

Later

great idea!!

I have a pretty good sit. I worked on it all last season. Got good at levels, and started to take a few docks.

Just this spring i realized that i cant fly worth S$#% on my back. Looking back now, I think I should have put alot more time into this befor I even tried to learn to sitfly.
www.okanaganskydive.com

me and some friends started freeflying (sitflying) recently and we started doing head down exits then when we let go of each other we go into a sit because we obviously aren't anywhere near ready for headdown on our own. i know when learning head down you track like crazy all over the place and lately i was wondering if we were doing that while holding on to each other or if when in that position it's easy to stay in one spot? cause if we're all over the place i totally will back down from that till i get more experience. just trying to be safe. thanks

FEEEL THE WIND YOUNG GRASSHOPPER!

All joking aside, have you looked into getting some coaching? Try and get a block rate from someone that is really qualified, and they can point you in the right direction.

HAVE FUN!

great idea!!

I have a pretty good sit. I worked on it all last season. Got good at levels, and started to take a few docks.

Just this spring i realized that i cant fly worth S$#% on my back. Looking back now, I think I should have put alot more time into this befor I even tried to learn to sitfly.

and I can fly my ass off in a sit and can fly on my head decent in two ways and even I am starting fresh on the back flying...its hella fun

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.