johnsw71

Forward drive in a sit

Hi all,
I seem to be stuck at a road block in my skill progression in a sit. I have about 200+ sit jumps and feel very comfortable and stable in a sit. I have no problem keeping a heading, staying with a group, doing transitions (such as 180 or 360 side cartwheels) while staying in control and maintaining heading. BUT, for the life of me, I still cannot move forward. I've been trying like hell to stick my hips out as I've been advised by many other people who have a great fwd drive, but I don't move forward. I know this is impossible to comment on specifically without video (I'm actually about to do some coaching with video), but I'm just wondering if anybody else got stuck on this and if they wouldn't mind sharing what they did to overcome the problem, i.e. what was your breakthrough?
Thanks kindly for any helpful comments. BTW, I did a search for "forward drive" but didn't see anything relevant. If there is already a thread here with what I'm looking for, I'd be happy to have it pointed out.

John

I had the same problem:) what works for me now is kinda pointing my toes mm... little towards the ground and kinda leaning back a little. But thats what works for me, so you definatly have to get some coaching, TJ Landgren is cool and very skillfull coach, i would recomend him, if he comes to your DZ take advantage of it:)

Blue Skies

I tend to drive forward in short distances by just extending my legs and giving a thrust with my hips like I am nailing my ol lady...

if long distances or sit flocking I tend to lay out on my back more...with my hands by my side kind link a reverse track autmonauti....

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Push your hips fwd for slow fwd movement (use this whn your in close and need to drive fwd a little).....

Lean back harder for faster fwd movement (use this to close the gap 50 feet or to chase someone)....

Push your feet down, straigtening your legs while leaning back for the fastest fwd movement in a sit (Use this to cover lots of ground 100's of feet, just make sure you slow down about 50 feet out)...

Like you said it's hard to give an advice without seeing you (video).

Apart from what most said, where are your arms. Sometimes ppl tend to have their armes too much behind, which sorta locks the upper body in somewhat crunched position. And no matter how hard you push your hips forward it'll go nowhere.

you should have both palms in peripheral vision spine straight (think giraffe), legs spread as much as possible (so you can fly with all their surface not just feet and upper legs).

to go forward you can: push your feet forward, and grab air with back side of your legs, push your hips forward, lean back with your back and head. but don't put arms behind more than when flyin straight. even when driving forward you should see your palms.
To compensate for the speed loss (since you exposed more surface), straighten your legs a little or loosen up your arms (in shoulders).

Hope that helps, but video really is a must for any constructive comment.
"George just lucky i guess!"

I did a few coach jumps yesterday and it of course made some things pretty obvious when I saw my body position on video while trying to push my hips out. It seems that I've had my knees up a bit too high (causing me to butt fly a too much and also causing me to slouch forward), which results in not being able to get my hips out no matter what I do. The coach's advice of getting my knees down slightly below my waist helped tremendously and has finally allowed me to realize how it should feel to be in a position where I am able to push out my hips. Thanks for the advice.

Stand on the air a bit more. Push down and balance a bit more on your feet and then push the hips out some. It lets you balance on the feet while the air hits more of the back.

Think: Stand on the air harder while Leaning back.

Resist the urge to put your arms in back of you.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If you seem to be working your hips as much as you can try concentrating on your head position. I found that I was looking down alot, especially when people were below me. This was causing me to back slide, or at least slow my forward movement. I have also found that by tilting my head back, it's like getting an extra gear. Not only do you get that much more wind deflection, but it also straightens your whole body out. You have to be careful though, because its a little harder to see.
www.okanaganskydive.com

Bingo. Head position and not having my legs extended enough seem to be my main problem, turning it into and endless cycle. Try to move forward, float up b/c legs are not extended, look down to the group thinking "that's where I want to be", end up actually backsliding b/c I'm looking down. The end result is always being up and away from the group. I've found it very hard to resist the urge to look down at where I want to be, always making things worse. I've also found that extending my legs first (as suggested above) and THEN leaning back is helping a lot.
Thanks for all the comments!

alright simple shit...

first lean back like cholo..

next stick your leg out foward and downward while resiting the pressure..

and thrust your pelvis forward like when you are doing your best friend's girl friend..

that will give you some forward speed...
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

No half measures, you gotta be aggressive - do it like you -really- mean to move.

Thrust your hits forwards, i mean really forwards - which puts you into more of a stand (necessary). Dont ram you arms behind you to compensate...that defeats the point.

T'is all in the hips. Hump god to go up etc. hmmm, what a sexual position sitfly is, even if it looks like you're sitting on the bog. :S

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com