missann1320

Skysurfing

I don't think space is an issue, unless they are talking about choping the board. This would require being able to jump over an area where you can safley chop the board and not hurt anyone. IE......a swamp, woods, or open area where the board can't strike anyone.

This would also apply to jumping with space balls or other objects.

Sean McCormack is one of the best sky surfers in the world and is a super nice guy. I belive he is jumping down in Florida now. Looks like you are in Michigan so not sure that would work for ya.

Mary Tortomasi is out of Perris, CA again not sure if that works for ya.

Not many folks sky surfing anymore, so you may have to travel to get coaching. I wouldn't recommend teaching yourself. I've seen some very skilled freeflyers have to chop a board, that they thought they could tach themselves to fly. You can spin out of control so quickly you can spin yourself unconscious. So seek coahing.

Later,

Harry P

Thanks for all the details folks!! I really do appreciate the kick start ;) I wrote Douva an e-mail.... If anyone else hears of anyone still rocking skysurfing out let me know... I'm willing to travel anywhere to learn correctly and safely.

Thanks!
Smile!
http://www.399FirstDates.com

Our national regs suggest a working freestyle knowledge first (proven by video), and C-license.

I always wanted to try skysurfing but I think it's too dangerous for "just trying" [:/] And I'd need to work on my freestyle first then too :$

ciel bleu,
Saskia

not having researched the regs...I'm disappointed if that's all they suggest or require!

I can't remember the jump numbers, but Douva requires that students be able to hold and manuever in a stand before he will teach them. At least he used to anyway.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The USPA SIM lumps skysurfing into the same category as freeflying and freestyle in section 6-2, and doesn't really give any requirements at all except have an A license.

Section 6-2 B:

B. Qualifications

1. Before engaging in freeflying, the skydiver should either:

a. hold a USPA A license

b. receive freeflying instruction from a USPA instructional rating holder with extensive freeflying experience

2. The skydiver should have demonstrated sufficient air skills, including:

a. consistent altitude awareness

b. basic formation skydiving skills

c. ability to track to achieve horizontal separation

d. understanding of the jump run line of flight

e. proficiency in movement up, down, forward, backward, and rotation in a sit position before attempting standing or head-down maneuvers

In passing at my DZ someone said most DZ's don't have enough space to have skysurfing... is that true?

As far as the space issue goes, I don't think they are talking about the Dropzone as much as the plane. When I learned to jump, back when skysurfing was still in the X-Games, Titusville was the training grounds for the best of the best (Brian Rogers, Erik Fradet, Sean, Cliff Burch , Sabia made a few stops, Joao Tambor) and the space issue was in the plane, not on the ground. If you have 3 people with boards on the plane, it allows less jumpers on the plane.

Mark Klingelhoefer

The big issues I encountered with drop zones and jumping a board were:

1. Space to chop safely

2. Space in the plane

3. Safety issues with jumping a board

These issues dramatically limited where I could jump so I was unable to jump regularly and stay current on my board :(

I don't know if I agree with that. While Freeflying experience may be helpful.....Skysurfing is a completely different discipline.

I have seen some very talented Freeflyers go back to student status when they strapped a board on their feet. I have also seen very talented Skysurfers that are not very good Freeflyers.

I have also seen very talented Skysurfers that are not very good Freeflyers.

And then you have Sean McCormack:o:D

My teammate(skysurfer) tells people they must be able to fly stable in a stand before he will start teaching them to skysurf. I also don't necessarily agree that you have to be a master freeflyer first.

I went away with a mate of mine a few years ago. I was learning to sit fly and he was learning to sky surf. If you go here:
http://www.skydivemag.com/
type skysurf in the search box and look for an article called 'Skysurf - why would you', you'll find his write up about learning to skysurf.
Might give you an idea of what to expect.

Don't let people put you off by telling you that you have to be an expert in x,y,z (too much of that in this sport imho). Find a good instructor and enjoy yourself.

http://www.koyn.com/CloudDancer/articles/Surf.html

Check this out. A very good check list if you want to begin. I recomend Laurence at Perris. Or there is a couple the the woman surfs and her husband is video.

Larry's email is
[email protected]

I too am dying to begin skysurfing but have run out of $$$ So I just read about it a lot.
=)

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

Check this out. A very good check list if you want to begin. I recomend Laurence at Perris. Or there is a couple the the woman surfs and her husband is video.

Laurence is a good choice, and the husband/wife team is Tanya and Craig O'Brian, though i don't know if she still skysurfs or coaches but it wouldn't hurt to ask.:)

I just purchased an intermediate skyboard from here: http://www.ts-skyboards.com/ If you buy an intermediate board from Tom Stanton he will give you a free trainer board. I am told you will need to do 10-20 jumps on the trainer board before going to the intermediate board.

I am going to get coaching on skysurfing too. Good luck to you and be safe.

Hey guys!

First, Tom Stanton over at http://www.ts-skyboards.com/ has started a new program of providing anyone who wants to get into skysurfing a FREE beginner skyboard if they purchase an intermediate skyboard.

Please get good coaching before strapping the beginner on. I'm not too familiar with the East coast, but here on the West coast there are a lot of great instructors: Scott Smith, Tanya Garcia-O'Brien, Sean MacCormack (all can be reached at Perris), Rob Harris (yes, there is a NEW Rob Harris who teaches down at Skydive San Diego), and I teach over at Elsinore. I think Douva controls everything between the two coasts ([email protected]).

As for what it takes to get started, I don't think any instructor would recommend having anything less than 100 jumps. By that time, you should have a controlled stand and sit, and be able to make aggressively controlled turns on your belly. Belly flying is important because that where the standard recovery position is, and--for beginner skyboards--deployment.

Enjoy the summer sun!

[email protected]

;)