sidewinder

All about the Shoes?

I was wondering if anybody else has experienced different flight characteristics (sitfly) by wearing different shoes. I used to wear cross-trainers that were streamline in shape. A few days ago I tried a flat-bottom casual/dress shoe from KMart. Its flat, square profile helped me cut through the air like a snowboard. Stable loops, on-heading turns, responsive control. It was a Night & day difference. Is there anybody who can comment on this?

It only matters if your shoes match your jumpsuit. ;)

I've never noticed a difference in my sit while wearing different sneakers. Maybe you just had better form on that jump?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

well every surface will change yoru flight...

I like to wear flat bottom skate shoes that dont match my jumpsuit at all...

but they are flat bottomed...and I am sure if I change the angle on my foot it helps :-P

plus they make cool sounds when I slide on the grass while swooping fast

pfffbbfppppfffbbpfffbbbbbbb

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Haven't you noticed that all the cool kids wear skate shoes? DC, Vans, Etnies, etc.. The more you can make yourself look like a skateboarder the better you will fly, it's proven. Also make sure the laces are loose letting the tongue stick out to add extra smoothness to your transitions. You dont want to let people know you're posing by lacing them up real tight therefore crushing the tongue down.

Add a skateboard company T-shirt and some gatorz sunglasses and you'll be flying like the top pro teams in no time. It adds like the equivalent of 5000 freefly jumps as soon as you pose like a skater, it's been proven. I mean, look at the guy wearing those tight ass wranglers, and the velcro closed pro-wing shoes. He will be flailing around on his back until he realizes all he needs is a pair of skate shoes to fly correctly.

Just dont get on a real skateboard, you'll give yourself away and people will laugh at you for wearing skate shoes not being able to skate.

Happy freeflying......B|

P.S. - On the real - EVERYBODY LISTEN - If you havnt been wearing skateboard shoes at least before your skydiving/freeflying career and you dont skate, please dont buy any. I really do laugh at you. That's it for this freefly community message.

When I wore basketball shoes, it didn't work out well, it totally restricts your ankle.
I saw someone with a running shoe that had spiked bottom, and he ate shit while swooping the ground. He told me that one of the spike thingy got caought on the grass.

Only shoe that I can find that is totally flat and have freedom at ankle are tennis shoe or skate shoe.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

i have noticed a different proformance while sit flying with different kinds of shoes. (ex. jumped with some heaver shoes felt like it was easier to have positive legs. jumped with lighter shoes had to concentrate more on positive legs) reuardless wear whats comfortable for you. if you felt like you have a better skydive with a certain kind of footwear than go for it!!!!! some ppl say they have to match your jumpsit. where comes the motto (if you cant fly worth a shit you ought to look good doing it.) but i personally think flat, non-traction skateboard shoes are ideal. and you can laugh all you want to but ill be the one laughing when you eat shit on your landing.
<> if you jump naked, can you use your penis as a rudder?<>

Haven't you noticed that all the cool kids wear skate shoes? DC, Vans, Etnies, etc.. The more you can make yourself look like a skateboarder the better you will fly, it's proven. Also make sure the laces are loose letting the tongue stick out to add extra smoothness to your transitions. You dont want to let people know you're posing by lacing them up real tight therefore crushing the tongue down.

This was clearly the best Best response. This wins the blue ribbon. ;) I crying right now.

Skateshoes truely are the N°1 for skydiving. I've been skateboarding for a long long time now and the stepping stone theorie got me into skydiving. Like every boarder knows, skateshoes dont determine your skillz but they do have more durability due reinforcements and shit. I think most of the skydivers relate to a skateboarder cause they want to get as much time as they can get out of the gear. Because "air-time is money!"
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

P.S. - On the real - EVERYBODY LISTEN - If you havnt been wearing skateboard shoes at least before your skydiving/freeflying career and you dont skate, please dont buy any. I really do laugh at you. That's it for this freefly community message.

Nice attitude.

Before skydiving I wore mostly hiking type shoes because they were comfortable. When I started skydiving they worked out for awhile but when I bought new ones I found that I had some seroius problems with the amount of traction on the bottom of them. Swooping isn't fun with shoes that don't slide. I bought some vans and it solved my problems.

You can call them skate shoes all you want but for me they are skydiving shoes. They help stay off my face when swooping. No I can't skate at all. Go ahead and laugh at me.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I couldnt skate in the 80s 90s or now

in fact I used to use my skateboard to get under my car to change the oil...

but the Freeflying/Swooping model I just bought from the Etnies site is working out for me pretty well

:P

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I'm glad I get on your exception list, I feel much better.

I was wearing skate shoes to dance in for years before I skydived. Now I'm wearing through the soles much less quickly because my weekends are taken up by jumping - I'm saving so much money!

You're all just wannabe ravers.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Skate shoes grip the grip tape on the steps of most of our planes really well. Its nice that they also slide easily on grass for the swooping. They're also really comfortable and not as expensive (typically) as Nikes and other decent shoes. The last pair of Etnies I had lasted me 3 seasons jumping and general wear.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Haha good stuff...

Personally I like the skate shoes just cuz they're flat and COMFY. Plus they're low tops so I never have to retie them, and that's good when you consider my short bus education. :S The bunny's ears wrrap around the hole...damn I can never remember how that goes. B|

But yes, I thoroughly enjoy the comfort of my Vans. So sue me. ;)

And and for the record, I don't think the "style" of shoe will hugely affect one's freeflying per se. Who gives a shit about the shape and whatnot, I don't think the difference in grip is going to make me cork out, lol. Still, I think there is much to consider between, for example, the ankle support of high tops versus the comfort and flexibility of low tops. Everything is a personal preference, and nothing more.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Dunno about suit flying but skate shoes work great for me with landing and are much safer then boots or spikey soled shoes.

I also skate and have done for over 20 years now. The best skate shoes can be very expensive but they are made very well and have wonderful support and slip like a motherfucker on grass and Like dave mentioned grip well on grip tape on the step etc.

Skate shoes are not only for skateboarders and yes they are Cool. they are 1000's models and theyshit all over running shoes.

Get a pair that are a pro model for a street skater and you will have re-enforcing everywhere you need it for skydiving.

Skate or Die

:D:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Anyone tried jumping in rockclimbing shoes? I always assumed that
a shoe that conformed to your foot would be best for freeflying,
but have never tested it. I always jump in my runners for support on landing.
But now I think about it having that good edge on the shoe would
be good for control and movement.
Maybe I will test my rockclimbing shoes someday soon and see what happens.

"If murder and suicide are illegal, then why is it ok to kill yourself and others with cigarettes?????"

www.myspace.com/Hypoxicmusic

Damn Boy, Those are the shit right there. I had some NTS's about 20 years ago!

Old school airwalks are the bomb! pity they sold out in the 90's

I have seen some remakes available a couple of years ago though.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I know one time I lost a shoe in a horny gorilla exit. When I popped into a sit once we broke out of it, it was odd-- I could definitely feel the difference right away when there was less surface area on the other foot. (but then again maybe this is because I'm not a super high numbered freeflyer)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)