PhreeZone

Shoulder pain

Has anyone out there started to experinece any pain in the sholders after sitflying? Ive noticed slight pain in the sholders on Mondays and I thought it was just me using muscles skydiving I don't use the rest of the week but after belly flying all one weekend I did'nt have the pain and I'm starting to track it down to having the pain after sitflying and wanted to see if anyone else experienced any of these symptoms.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hows it going?

Yeah Ive been having a bit of a hard time with a shoulder injury. All I can tell you is that it could be one of your tendons being over stretched. Thats what I thinks happend to me any how. I still do head up jumps but have strapped the shoulder up when I fly. I get the pain head up and when leaning out of the harness on landings.

I would be carefull and strap it up before jumps and if the pain contiunes then give the head up a rest for a while and go see a doctor. Bad Shoulder injurys dont tend to heal well.

The last thing your gonna want is a mid air dislocation of a arm!

I was expiriencing the same thing after periods of not jumping regular, like spring and on winter vacations. I then started doing rator cuff exercises, basically strecthing with light weights. Get with a trainer at your local gym - he'll know what I'm talking about. This really helped me, I went from pretty signicant pain to no problems now. best, j

I actually have torn rotator cuffs in both of my shoulders, and I can tell you that sit flying is absolutely the WORST thing I can do for them.

I've been dealing with this for a few years now, and it's gotten to the point where I can finally lift a decent amount of weight again. However, sit flying still makes my shoulders ache for days. It's just something about the angle of your arms while sitflying, and the fact that 150+ MPH winds puts a LOT of pressure on them, which is transferred almost directly to the shoulders.

Taking some NSAIDs before/after might help a little bit. Other than that, good luck!

I have a bad left shoulder which always gets worse after a weekend of jumping. I've noticed it the most sitflying, but it will even act up sometimes after a day of HD. I do a lot of excersises in the gym and I have done a lot of rehab to it also, but it seems no matter how much stronger I make it, a full day of sitfly of HD always brings back the pain.[:/]

Little bit o' history of me:
Summer 02 I was in a car accident. My left should had a lot of pain. 2 mo. PT and no improvement. MRI was inconclusive, but some movement was limited. Doc when in and performed a capsule repair. Geesus what a painful ordeal. Essentially they burn the capsule (rotator cuff) which tightens all the surrounding tissue. I then had to learn to use my arm again in PT. I still have some issues with it once in a while, usually if i dont stretch.
I find that flying with my arms(which I shouldnt) too much in a head up position I feel some discomfort during the dive. Even after a mid-air collision on that arm the pain subsides after the strain ends.
My PT had told me that as the arm lifts (palms down) there is a lot going on in there when the arms are even with the shoulders. Also, told me that as long as I keep it strong (exercise, warm up, stretching) it will remain fine.
I'd suggest looking into some mild strengtheing exercises, and some structured stretching on a regular basis.

Man thats a lot of crap, hope it helps some.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I was having the same problem...Tunnel time fixed it. I went to the tunnel to fix this very problem. When I was in a sit I found that my arms were back putting stress on my shoulders at the end (weakest part) of my range of motion. Now I sit using my back and legs more. I can dig my elbows in and roll my shoulders back and get more control this way. My elbows are at a 90 with the distal part of my arms up. The only time I have to bring them down is to take a dock...and that is mostly forward. I don't have it perfect yet but it's getting better and I can tell the difference in the amount of pain I don't have.
Peace!
Jason
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Last year I started to experience some shoulder discomfort towards the end of the season. I could feel my shoulders grating when they rotated and they would pop and crack. I dismissed it for awhile, but then one day I was going to flare and it got to this wierd point where my shoulder felt like it was going to pop right out of the socket. Freaked me out a little because I didn't want that to happen at pull time!
I went to an orthopedic surgeon and they diagnosed me with bilateral shoulder instability. [my doctor was quite entertained at how far my shoulders would rotate, apparently they go 90 degrees more than the average joe] Also my shoulder joints are loose so they prescribed PT to strenghten the muscles around my shoulders. Luckily it wasn't bad enough for surgery. The PT helped a lot, I of course have been slacking on keeping up my exercises.

I still feel some of the discomfort after a long weekend of jumping or if I end up doing a lot of headup standing jumps. So I really try to avoid jumps like that at this point.

Thanks for al lthe pointers. I was really starting to think that I had some unique injury that was only affecting me.

This on one reasons these fourms rock, I can get opinions from across the globe since no one around my DZ seems to have this issue.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've noticed that too. The best thing you could do is go to a personal trainer. Most people think of the shoulders as just the deltoids and the 3 heads that make it up, but you have a whole other group of muscles working along with them. Don't just go to the gym and wing it. A personal trainer will know exactly what muscles are being used and what exercises will help you out.

An advanced muscle technique known as ART (active release) is your best chance. It involves specific movements and pressure gliding to get to the root of the problem. Any doctor or therapist certified to do this can be found on the their website activerelease.com. I have had this done and it works!!!