jasonRose

Head down HELP!!!!

I am sure this type of post is pretty common, but I am to lazy to look them up.

I have been sit flying for this whole season and have reached a point where I feel that I can start working on my head down.

I have gooffed around with flower exits numerous times but always end up transitioning into a sit because I become unstable in head down quite quickly (corking or zooming all over the sky out of control).

I have tried a few solo head down jumps, which you can already guess didn'y work out for shit.

My questions are;

How did you learn to HD?

Who out there (Coach) can get me into a stable head down that I can hold and have basic control in a day or two? (assuming 10 to 20 jumps?) And when are you available this season?;) West coast preffered.

Thanks for the help!!
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Coaching is good. I didn't have much though, learned HD a lot on my own, then started 2 ways. I found doing headstands on the ground with my hands locked under my back of my head helped surprisingly a lot. I would work on getting my legs wider apart every day so I would be able to be more "legs dominant" in the air. Keep watching that alti!
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

I know I only have a bit over a hundred jumps but I just want to make a suggestion, you can take it or leave it. I found that when you go into head down,,just relax, don't fight the winds but rather just flow with it. I don't have a lot of control as to forward and backward movement yet, but I can hold it pretty well. Just practice man, don't try to fight it too much, just flow with it. That's my 2 cents.

this worked for me...

first when I thought I wanted to work on it, I waited 200 or so jumps although adding a bunch of HD exits

then I went to Arizona and knocked out 70 jumps in a row

a lot of solos, exiting back to propand just laying back into the prop wash and then turning 90 degrees to jump run... of course at first I was well above 200MPH and had to work on slowing it down...

lastly let me just say that I really worked on flying on my feet before I worked on head down, I can really move around on my feet drive like a mofo back up like a mofo carve around formations drag reluctant baseses over to other participants etc...

I would really reccomend getting on your feet and start playing around with that body position... fly on one leg fly your body diagonally... fly with one arm...fly with no arms... fly touching one foot... fly with one hand on your head...

in other words really work on tweaking your head up stuff before you rush to become a head down flier...

I once heard someone say this abotu freeflying...

head up flying...easier to learn but harder to master...

head down flying harder to learn easier to master...

Cheers brother

Dave

(and for all I know you are the next olav so dont take this personally this is just my personal experience talking what works for me may work for you but doesnt have to)
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

(and for all I know you are the next olav so dont take this personally this is just my personal experience talking what works for me may work for you but doesnt have to)

Thanks for your response!!! Done with total class and I agree with you!!!

My head up is ok not great, meaning I can drive forward, backwards, carve change levels, side flips with control, stable docks. My sit was pretty much self taught although I asked a ton of questions and lots of solos to get it where it is today. It still needs work though but so does the rest of my flying.

HD seems to be the next step for my proggresion in skydiving. I plan on heading over to Perris in November and take advantage of some FF coaching down there. Although before heading there I would like to at least get into HD and work on it down there.

Thanks for help!!!;);)
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

right on man...see I remember being where you ar enow at about your jump numbers and I thought I was ready...and I flew my as all over the sky and almost killed a pregenant woman while I was trying to learn...

the real reason I would say to spen more time on your feet flying is so that you really start playing with what little motions on all your wings will do to your motion once you get to the point where you can fly a dont with one foot and at the same time take another grip while in some fucked up body position but still being able to fly it....

then grasshopper you will be ready...

and dont force it it will jsut come man there is the rest of your life to skydive...

Cheers man

Dave

Thanks for your response!!! Done with total class and I agree with you!!!

My head up is ok not great, meaning I can drive forward, backwards, carve change levels, side flips with control, stable docks. My sit was pretty much self taught although I asked a ton of questions and lots of solos to get it where it is today. It still needs work though but so does the rest of my flying.

HD seems to be the next step for my proggresion in skydiving. I plan on heading over to Perris in November and take advantage of some FF coaching down there. Although before heading there I would like to at least get into HD and work on it down there.

Thanks for help!!!;);)

http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I just post my personal experience:
(Excuse me in first, for my worst English)

I spent a lot of money, jumps and time for trying to HD on my own and then I realized that is better know the tecnique in first.
I started to make some jumps trained by Olav and his school and I understud the right way to stay HD.

Last saturday I made my very fist jump (from exit to open) all in HD and I'm really really satisfied!!!

See yaa!
Theo

when you go into head down,,just relax, don't fight the winds but rather just flow with it

that's my experience as well
no fight, no fast, corrective movements

good practice is to track, change angle, go hd, change angle to back track etc (just know where u r relative to jump run)

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/