MalcolmR

What's best freefly rig?

Well, i made a nice purchase of a TSE Viper (Teardrop)
It was, as i understand, manufactured for speed diving. It had thicker cut in laterels with holds the harness much tighter to your body to prevent any movement etc. With that i have a freefly pad and love it. Alot of people are purchasing these for that sole reason :-)

Well, i made a nice purchase of a TSE Viper (Teardrop)
It was, as i understand, manufactured for speed diving. It had thicker cut in laterels with holds the harness much tighter to your body to prevent any movement etc. With that i have a freefly pad and love it. Alot of people are purchasing these for that sole reason :-)

Any pictures :)

If you're looking for quick delivery, don't get a Javelin... Mirages are pretty quick... I've got a Voodoo and I just ordered another.
Main reason: Sandy and Brenda have taken care of me. Replaced and lengthened a chest strap for free, replaced the riser covers (they are now no longer a problem), sent me a longer main lift web and my rig is still in good shape after more than a 1000 jumps on it. I go to Eloy quite a bit and they know me. I think it helps if you know the people who make your rig. The Voodoo is a good rig, nice and aerodynamic. I use a pullout and it's great, except I won't do wingsuit jumps, but then I wouldn't on my Velo either.
When you order from the bigger guys you're just a number.
A.
"Bodygolfing" isn't as much fun as it sounds. People get pissed when you don't replace your divets.

One of the newer Racers with low-profile cutaway handle option, pullout and speed bag reserve deployment. Before freeflying there was freestyle...take a look at what kind of rig that was being used by freestyle innovator Mike Michigan and read my Racer review for further insight into why the Racer is best. If you do the research and make a personal choice based on a rational decision making process, not peer pressure, the Racer makes sense. Racer fits your body like no other rig can. The only rig that has NOT gone through major changes over the years, because the original design was a good one.

One of the newer Racers with low-profile cutaway handle option, pullout and speed bag reserve deployment. Before freeflying there was freestyle...take a look at what kind of rig that was being used by freestyle innovator Mike Michigan and read my Racer review for further insight into why the Racer is best. If you do the research and make a personal choice based on a rational decision making process, not peer pressure, the Racer makes sense. Racer fits your body like no other rig can. The only rig that has NOT gone through major changes over the years, because the original design was a good one.

are you talking about the 2k3 or the elite (velcro up the sides - I like mine but do not FF with it) or the 2000?

rm

Apex DP hands down. . . all this debate about the pin cover flap tucking up or down, why not just go sideways?? Perfect setup for both head up and head down flying, no disadvantage to either. Guaranteed slimmer profile than your current freefly rig!

finally im no the only one who has seen javlelins screw people. I used to jump one myself. so many people love them and think they are the absolute best and I just don't agree

I am a big Wings fan, but the thing about Javelin's screw people.. I wouldn't blame the manufacturer..
I think Javelin's are great containers as well, but since there are so many around.. you are more likely to see something happen with them.. just like there are a lot of complaints about Sabre2s opening weird.. Because there are so many around you are GOING to hear something bad about it.. Even if its not the gear that is to blame.

Prematures are rarely to blame on the equipment (unless you are jumping really old gear) but more on how the owner of the equipment maintains it.. I don't think there would be so many Javelin's around if prematures were an issue..

So back on topic.. the best freefly rig? the rig that fits you best and most comfortably.. which is probably going to be a Wings :P

The only rig that has NOT gone through major changes over the years, because the original design was a good one.

You got to be kidding!!!!

I'd personaly stay away from Racers, chasers and feardrops for freeflying! I like to feel like I have a well engineered and tight fitting container on when I freefly and not a bag of old socks strapped to my back. All this "it was good in my day" means jack shit if the development of a product fails to keep up with the changing pace of the sport!

There are plenty of very good modern rigs out there i.e. Vector, mirage.... Go for one of these!

every premi I have seen has been from the gear. Javelins need to have a few things happen: upward main closing closing flap, better riser covers and secondary riser covers, and do away with the pop top. I owned a javelin and the main flap was open almost every sit fly jump, and I have seen several friends with open riser covers and main flaps. I have seen he pilot chute spit out from under the pop top. These are pretty easy and pretty obvious fixes to me. But this is a completely different thread now, but that is what i have seen and experienced with javelin. When was the last time they have really changed anyhting abou the rig I have seen older ones and they all look barely different?
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

I'll admit, though, the older Javs didn't stay closed worth a crap. Neither did Vector2s and other rigs of that era.

I have jumped both an old style javelin (which i currently have) and a Vector II (my old rig)
I agree Vector II's are suicidal when it comes to freeflying but I have never had a problem with my javelin (DOM 94), the bridal fits in tight and secure, no exposure, so does the pilot chute and both closing flaps are solid and have never flipped open.

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love

I'll admit I haven't read every thread, but I have not seen any outright complaints of any substantial matter about Voodoo's.

I have a Voodoo. It fits great, it feels great, it flies great, it functions great. Never had a riser cover pop open, bridle is guarded very nicely, main flap always stays closed very securely. Both handles are pillows. I feel 100% confident with my rig in everything I do.

Of course, that is everything I do. I am sure SOMEbody could find something wrong with it. Because nobody, or thing, is perfect. Ever. Even if it was, some ass would find something to complain about.

IMO, any modern, well-fitting rig is going to work great. It's just gonna come down to individual features. For example, the pockets for the handles on my Voodoo can be removed for inspection/repair. I like that. Some don't.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

About Vortex II (not to mix up with Vector II), they're price at about 1700 CAD, which is about 1850 US, and do the math for Euros.

They're the cheapest container out there for freefly, but then again,
you get what you pay for!

There are alot in one of the DZ I go and there are the conclusions. Yup there bulletproof, I totally agree, but there's a huge lack of small details which makes a Mirage of a Micron. If your a women, don't buy one, closing it is frustrating even for a packer. The handle are situated really low, it less comfortable than a micron or a mirage, etc...

But in the end, it will do the job, and you got what you paid for!

Personnaly, I got G3 and I will probably stick with mirage if the skyhook gets there in time for a new rig in a year or two, if not I'll go with the micron for the extra safety the skyhook gives.

The primary advantage - of tucking a main pin cover up - is that you can use a longer tuck tab. You can install an absurdly long pin cover, just not so long that it interferes with the reserve opening.

On the other hand, a downwards-facing tuck tab is limited by the distance between the hinge and the loop. sure slanted shark's fins help a little, but downward facing tuck tabs are still limited in length.