MalcolmR

What's best freefly rig?

Relative Workshops v-3 has all you can ask for, superior riser protection, a main flap that closes from the bottom up, and tight pilot chute storage. There are a couple manufacturers that offer these, but everyone uses RWS ideas. From the three ring release, to other copied ideas, you can rest assured that a purchase from RWS would be the right choice!
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

... a main flap that closes from the bottom up...

Doesn't make any difference. For starters, the air runs across the rig in opposite directions between head-up and head-down flying. Secondly, air only is most likely to get underneath the flap and lift it out when you're on your side (i.e. during a transition). Most likely, it will come undone if it snags on anything. Security is key, not the orientation.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

What I was trying to say was that the newer designs and innovations that we see on most all of the higher end rigs these days come standard on a G3/G4's right outta the factory.

Mirage did not invent the idea for secondary riser covers, nor the freefly handle.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

... a main flap that closes from the bottom up...

Doesn't make any difference. For starters, the air runs across the rig in opposite directions between head-up and head-down flying. Secondly, air only is most likely to get underneath the flap and lift it out when you're on your side (i.e. during a transition). Most likely, it will come undone if it snags on anything. Security is key, not the orientation.

My freefly coach John Chisholm wrote that reply under my name.

You can debate whatever you want with him: jchisholm AT freeflymegacenter.com

He is sponsored by RWS...go figure.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Erica H, do you have chest rings on your Mirage? If so, the chest ring allows more flex and hinge than a harness without chest rings. in my opinion from what i've seen chest rings on a mirage for small to medium ladies is not so good, because of the problem you described. There is a fix. have mirage systems make your harness without chest rings. What you mentioned about the yoke also possible.

Yes, I'm bringing up an old thread, sorry. However, my Mirage has been fixed!! Yea! now it is perfect!! When tightened to jump run ready I can barely even pull the shoulders off my shoulders. The big guy there took a full inch out of the harness under the mud flaps & all the stagger out the leg strap attachment (the webbing between the leg straps & the hip rings).

Now it is the most comfortable rig ever!! There are no con's to a Mirage. Also, I believe that the person at the company that gave me cr*p for my complaint was actually full of cr*p - I've been basically promised that Mirage does not agree with what was said in the first place.

Anyway, I complain when stuff is wrong & I give praise when things go well. Now things are great & I am giving praise to Mirage!

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Also, I believe that the person at the company that gave me cr*p for my complaint was actually full of cr*p - I've been basically promised that Mirage does not agree with what was said in the first place.

Hmmmm.. I wonder who that was...;)
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

I know your kidding!!

But I have seen people trying to Free Fly in older type Dolphins and have premature deployments, not pretty.

Bottom line, if your rig isn't Free Fly friendly don't Free Fly in it. If you can't tell if it is FF friendly or not then please ask your rigger, coach, instructor, S&TA before some one sells you a pile of crap that will get you or others hurt or killed on a FF jump. B|B|B|B|
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!