MalcolmR

What's best freefly rig?

The only rig that has NOT gone through major changes over the years, because the original design was a good one.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have you compared your Racer with a mid-1970s-vintage Super Swooper Tandem?
... two ripcords, Capewells, no riser covers, more loops in the reserve container than you can count, etc.????
... so many minor changes that no parts are common!
Hah!
Hah!
Hah!

just one thing about upward closing pin covers... If youre tall and lazy with getitng low in thedoor, you can rub youre container against the top of the door and have a premie after pulling the flap out and the pin. Whereas this is less likely on downward closing flaps.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

haha, he said rigi-tity:P sorry... I don;t know really jack about nothin.. but i got my first rig, and i wanted freefly friendly. just rresearch research and more research, maybe even call a couple manufactures and give them the ol' whats better on your rig that the next guy.. get some different explanations from the pros maybe im crazy thats what i did and im very happy with my choice.. good luck man..:)cheers

the big dirty

Looking to buy new rig- which make is best adapted to freeflying?

Infinity with cut in laterals fits sooo nice and the tuck flaps arrangement works excellent for freeflying, and it's very aerodynamic (thinner side profile) compared to some other rigs. Most manufacturers of H/C make a freefly friendly rig. Do your research buddy

I like my Wings because its extrememly comfortable with cut in laterals etc. I have noticed however that after backflying or sitflying the reserve pin cover has worked its way loose on occasions so every now and again I have to kind of pull the material of the front of the container up to make sure I have a decent length of the tuck tab.... tucked. Now I know whats happening I haven't had a problem again.

Hope that makes sense

Mirage...Talk With Ward Hessing. Mirage Straight up has out down themselves with comfort last time I saw their rigs when they came down for Film Fest at Raeford last June.

Nobody tops a Mirage...thats really all there is to be said..

Wade

I still like the Infinity better.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

RWS V3 or micron , new magnetic riser covers and skyhook sold me also the freefly pud tucks great into the BOC pouch on two sides of the bridle cover (great for someone who always is checking their handles in the plane)
mirage, javelin, infinity .....etc all pretty good rigs just depends on what you like in a rig personally
It's all fun and games till the ground gets big!

United Parachute Technologies V3 or micron , new magnetic riser covers and skyhook sold me also the freefly pud tucks great into the BOC pouch on two sides of the bridle cover (great for someone who always is checking their handles in the plane)
mirage, javelin, infinity .....etc all pretty good rigs just depends on what you like in a rig personally

Edit to correct UPT from RWS

Just posted on this same topic.... I truly enjoy jumping both rigs but have a personal liking to Mirage. Just so damn comfortable and clean. Dont even feel like I have a rig on my back (honestly scared the shit out of me the first jump or two). My one cutaway so far has been with a skyhook though and blew me away... Vector obviously has the pioneer of skydiving behind it. You will not go wrong with either container. I love Mirage but I love the Skyhook. I put the decision in your hands.

It's been a year since last reply and I decided to bring this thread back to life.

Any new thoughts after a year? New favorite freefly rig? New things to look for in a freefly rig?
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

All I can see is totally biased opinion and nothing more... :|

No point to ask questions like these here, cause everyone will just say that the best rig is the one they own, which is natural off course...

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

nobody mentioning th eICON sport .....

I didn't like it when I demo'd it for a day. Side walls flap down when trying to put the d-bag in, reserve flap came open a couple times, and leg straps loosened up on me after opening (*&#$*# scary s$it).

Your experience is not indicative of the Icon container system. I have an Icon and an Infinity both made for me and I have never had the reserve flap open or the leg straps come loose on either. In fact I can't see how the reserve flap could come open unless you bumped up against something or didn't have is properly closed to begin with. The flap systems for the main and the reserve are very positive and are excellent for free flying.
Packing the main is a little different than other rigs but there's nothing
that should be flapping down.
Maybe you were demoing an older Aerodyne rig?

nobody mentioning th eICON sport .....

I didn't like it when I demo'd it for a day. Side walls flap down when trying to put the d-bag in, reserve flap came open a couple times, and leg straps loosened up on me after opening (*&#$*# scary s$it).

Your experience is not indicative of the Icon container system. I have an Icon and an Infinity both made for me and I have never had the reserve flap open or the leg straps come loose on either. In fact I can't see how the reserve flap could come open unless you bumped up against something or didn't have is properly closed to begin with. The flap systems for the main and the reserve are very positive and are excellent for free flying.
Packing the main is a little different than other rigs but there's nothing
that should be flapping down.
Maybe you were demoing an older Aerodyne rig?

Yeah, could have been a little abused because it came off the square one rent for the day shelf.

I can say that the leg strap slipping issue had been noted previously by other jumpers in regards to other ICON's and not just this one.

All in all, its a cheaper rig in quality compared to other rigs I have jumped (javelin/mirage). Although the reserve flap issue, which your right, was probably just that rig, the quality of material was why the side walls of the main compartment were flopping down.

V3..... I like the mirage but it falls a little short compared to the Vector. They always seem to be one step ahead.:P They are both great freefly rigs though.

Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

V3..... I like the mirage but it falls a little short compared to the Vector. They always seem to be one step ahead.:P They are both great freefly rigs though.

Yeah, if I hadn't of ordered the G4, I would have got a Vector. Big thing was delivery time of 4 weeks for mirage G4, but the G4 lifts off the back a little too much and doesn't have the option of a skyhook.