freeflydemon

skyball without a tail??

I heard the pros are using the skyballs without tails..
can anyone tell me the pros and contras about it??

Biggest con I can think of is that it will only ever fall at one speed, so you better get it right the first time. By putting a long tail on one, you can gradually increase the speed by trimming the tail. Also, if the weight is packed too losely inside the ball it might jiggle around too much in freefall. A tail compensates for that a little.

A ball that falls too slow is generally easier to catch than one that falls too fast.

You can always go on your belly. You can belly fly like nobody's business can't you? If not you shouldn't be ball mastering.

You can always go on your feet. You can sit fly and grab a ball with one hand can't you? If not, you shouldn't be ball mastering, at least not with an untested skyball.

But if a ball is super fast, you might be in a speed dive just to stay relative to it - then you've got to stick out a hand or two to grab it.

Also a tail doesn't just look cool, it gives you that much more of a visual on the ball in case you lose sight of it while doing a transition. When I ball master I NEVER take my eyes off the ball for the entire jump.

You can always go on your belly. You can belly fly like nobody's business can't you? If not you shouldn't be ball mastering.
If I go on my belly with the skyballs we use (550 gr) (aprox.167 mph).... it will say you HASTA LA VISTA BABY...!!

I don't ballmaster, but I jump a lot with skyballs with my friends (one of them is a ballmaster).
We flew a 550 gr skyball without tail this weekend and I think it was much more stable, than the old one with 590 gr with a 6" tail...