atticus

Stirring things up...

In all seriousness, I have always wanted to have an all-around meet. They do it in rodeo, why not skydiving? Cumulative scores from FS, VRW, CRW and swoop.
I think taking gold in all-around would definetly give someone bragging rites.

Now that sounds like a great idea!

Make it so Skymama!

Or maybe I will just have to talk some new ;) dzo down here to sponsor it.:D

Can't vouch for the skiing analogy you made...

I learned how to ski first when I was about 13 (with lessons). It took me 1 day to learn how to land jumps.

It was about 2 years later when I started snowboarding and it took me about 3 or 4 days to master the idea (they didn't have snowboarding lessons in those days). Still though...the learning curb was definitely more difficult for snowboarding.

Apples and oranges though man; you don't need to know how to ski to snowboard...nor vice versa. But you gotta know how to flatfly to freefly...unfortunately ;).

Blues

Can't vouch for the skiing analogy you made...

I'll second that.

I am a snowboard instructor and have snowboarded for over 12 years i also ski (when the snow is shit!)

Skiing is much easier to learn beacause it is easier to balance when you can move you limbs independently. but to master skiing is much harder.
Snowboarding is the opposite harder to learn but much easier to master.

I do think sking ans snowboarding are comparable to belly flying and freeflying but not as far as the learning curve goes but closer to the attitudes related to the disciplines.

Skiers/flatflyers were around much before snowboarders/freeflyers. When the new phenomenon of snowboarding/freeflying came about it did get a bit of flack from skiers/belly flyers because it was different. and amoungst these new snowboarders/freeflyers were punkasses with attitude and no respect for the discipline that actually without woul not have made the new discipline available.

over time everybody gets to accept everyone else for thier decision to do what they want, and go ahead and have fun.

But... from time to time you get punkass fuckwits that think they know better and try to stir things upwith thier naive attitudes!

assholes aye?;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

When I started jumping the norm was accuracy and style, fortunately I fell in with the outlaw rw crowd and had a blast. I believe one of the greatest attractions of this sport is that it is so damn hard to do anything really well. Most free flyers I meet with less than thousands of ff jumps have never been in a 4 way sit with toes touching and held it for at least 5 seconds, sounds simple, they can't do it, head down, forget it. We experimented this past year with a series of 6 ways going flat and making a round star for the first point, then transitioning to a sit. The majority of the free flyers, some with 2 thousand jumps, were pathetic on their bellies, they didn't have a clue as to how to dive and approach a formation and make a no momentum dock. The concept of flying your slot with discipline and staying on heading is completely alien to them. There is no improvement without discipline. I think "wanna be free flyers" should master the rudiments of flat flying first if only to learn how to do something in the sport really well, like how to be perfectly stable and not move, while falling straight down. The first thing you learn in a helicopter, and perhaps the most difficult skill to master, is to hover. Most weekend free flyers don't know how to hover on any axis. The thing I miss most about flat flying is big ways. At most small dzs it's almost impossible to find enough competent freeflyers to safely attempt, let alone accomplish, anything bigger than a 5 way, it is at ours.
SCR-21

RW and sex are the same. They may be good but they cant beat the real thing.

You tend towards the "fake" type of sex then? :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

RW and sex are the same. They may be good but they cant beat the real thing.

You tend towards the "fake" type of sex then? :P

yeah, that seems to be missing a word somewhere. :ph34r:

Nice to see you at Crosskeys. :P
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Nice to see you at Crosskeys. :P

Yeah, I can't even say we were there in spirit, because our spirits were napping while we were being lazy fools. I think we're about caught up on our sleep now, but at the cost of missing the fun at Crosskeys. [:/]
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

Rain-man, Your profile says you have 253 jumps with 33 of them base and only 1 year in the sport.
Your flying a Vx at 2.4 WL??????:S

He's from the UK, thats metric.

He really has 1771 jumps on a Triathalon at 1.3 WL.:):ph34r:

As for the subject at hand... I started freeflying pretty early, and ended up joining a 4-way team this year. I feel like I'm becoming a more well rounded skydiver because of it. I spend a few days a month training with my team, and the rest freeflying on my own time. I do have more fun freeflying, but I have fun on RW jumps with my team as well. It's mostly just the "must be up at 7am to stretch, get on the first load, and practice points 800 times over" thing that I don't personally like, but I can deal with it if I'm learning from it.

I agree that a lot of RW people are WAY too serious about themselves, to the point where they become people I'd never want to jump with, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rain-man, Your profile says you have 253 jumps with 33 of them base and only 1 year in the sport.
Your flying a Vx at 2.4 WL??????

He's from the UK, thats metric.

He really has 1771 jumps on a Triathalon at 1.3 WL.

Justice may be blind...but it can see in the dark

RW guys dont even shake your hand before your exit. They just sit there with their full face helmets looking at you like little McNasties. Its the same face most of us pull at work....because work sucks.

Wow! I guess everyone should just let you go on your litlle rant and not really say too much back since stirring things up is what you seem to want to do.

Your whole point of view is outdated.

When freefliers were the dirty little rebels on the dz and bellyfliers were the 'normal' skydivers.

You only have a couple of years in the sport and missed people having these silly heated debates years ago.

There is no need to act or speak this way. It doesn't make you look cool nor anyone fall down in adoration of your freeflying skills. All it does is put that "stupid arrogant rebel" sticker back on freefliers. I am a freeflier, if I feel like doing an RW jump I will and this year is my year to get better at it.

I would say unless you have the skills of the team members of say Airspeed or Magik when on your belly and Alchemy or Guano when on your head that you should probably be just a bit more humble and not alienate people just for the sheer hell of it. Not that you should do so even if you ever do make it to that level in skydiving.

speaking of alienating people, From my experience it is the RW that seem to not accept freeflyers as if there not real skydivers. Most of them seem to be more narrow minded about other disciplines and antisocial. They tend to give off the vibe that the other jumpers are an annoyance to them. RW's are just way to serious and seem to always be pissed off. While freeflyers tend to be more light hearted and easy going, and Autmonauts are as strange as the helmets they wear.:P I have been to several drop zones and it is similar regardless of where. There are definitely certian personality types that tend to follow the different disciplines.

Funny, I don't get that impression from the RW folks at my dz at all. They're usually as friendly and outgoing as everyone else. Maybe it's just your experience because they pick up this negative vibe from you. Just a thought.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Maybe its you. I get along with everybody at my DZ, especially the RW people. As long as you give them some respect you'll get it back. But if you generalize a group so easily then your only going to create the tension, no matter what your doing. Yeah, I'll have to agree with skymama on this one, its gotta be you!

Edit for spelling
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

Funny, I don't get that impression from the RW folks at my dz at all. They're usually as friendly and outgoing as everyone else. Maybe it's just your experience because they pick up this negative vibe from you. Just a thought.

Good point. I'm mediocre in both disciplines, yet I'm welcome in both at my DZ. But bad juju is bad juju. Maybe it radiates out from some people like a visible cloud of angst.

You guys and gals just don't get it. Relax and chill. It´s all about stirring things up.... and nothing else:P

It's funny to read how passionate people get:S

Unless you have been in the sport for 30 years and have the combined skills of Dr. Phill and Oprah, you don't know shit.....

Who's to say that we're not playing along? I mean, if nobody responded in a manner that was counter to the original post, what indication would we have that anything was actually stirred up? :P

You guys and gals just don't get it. Relax and chill. It´s all about stirring things up.... and nothing else:P

It's funny to read how passionate people get:S

Yeah everyone! Relax and chill and don't get worked up with your responses, cuz this is a thread that is about stirring things up. Wait.... I mean, this is supposed to stir things up, so please don't be passionate and stirred up. Oh wait.... :S