atticus

Stirring things up...

This is gonna piss some people off. Nothing is wrong with a little controversy now and then. It was in reply to a question about jumpsuits for a new jumper:

Hey, your new at this sport so don't let these guys steer you the wrong way! Forget the RW its boring and grippers are for pussies. FREEFLYING is where it's at! RW is for old timers that have been in the sport too long to adapt, It is your grandfather's style of skydiving. Forget 120 mph, freeflying speeds can excced 200mph. It is by far more exciting, alot more challenging, and the learning curb is slower. It's the new school of skydiving. If you're a younger guy you'll relate more to freeflyers because it is predominatly the younger generation. Freeflying is to RW as snowboarding is to skiing. If you bought a motorcycle, would you buy a cruiser or a superbike? If you picked the crotch rocket then you're a freeflyer at heart. It's is called FREEflying for a reason. How bad ass is having the abillity to fly your body in any position on all axis with your 5 of buddys right there! How many people can say they shake hands inverted doing 190 mph? Only freeflyers! Does being stuck on your belly all the time, falling as slow as possible, and playing grab ass with a bunch of senior citizens in spandex sound like fun to you? If it doesn't then your probably a freeflyer at heart. Try RW only to learn the basics, and practice back flying! Don't get to serious with the RW or you'll get suck as a belly jumper.
So to finally answer you question if you want to learn freeflying all you need is some freefly pants and a long sleeve tee. I started with cargo shorts and long sleeve shirt. Also an audible altimeter is a must!
The link to the thread is here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2192036;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

This is gonna piss some people off. Nothing is wrong with a little controversy now and then :

Hey, your new at this sport so don't let these guys steer you the wrong way! Forget the RW its boring and grippers are for pussies. FREEFLYING is where it's at! RW is for old timers that have been in the sport too long to adapt, It is your grandfather's style of skydiving. Forget 120 mph, freeflying speeds can excced 200mph. It is by far more exciting, alot more challenging, and the learning curb is slower. It's the new school of skydiving. If you're a younger guy you'll relate more to freeflyers because it is predominatly the younger generation. Freeflying is to RW as snowboarding is to skiing. If you bought a motorcycle, would you buy a cruiser or a superbike? If you picked the crotch rocket then you're a freeflyer at heart. It's is called FREEflying for a reason. How bad ass is having the abillity to fly your body in any position on all axis with your 5 of buddys right there! How many people can say they shake hands inverted doing 190 mph? Only freeflyers! Does being stuck on you belly all the time, falling as slow as possible, and playing grab ass with a bunch of senior citizens in spandex sound like fun to you? If it doesn't then your probably a freeflyer at heart. Try RW only to learn the basics, and practice back flying! Don't get to serious with the RW or you'll get suck as a belly jumper.
So to finally answer you question if you want to learn freeflying all you need is some freefly pants and a long sleeve tee. I started with cargo shorts and long sleeve shirt. Also an audible altimeter is a must!

I thought we got past the time of people talking shit like this? I mean really grow up some. I can bust hot points in 4-way, dock on a big way, sitfly, and I am learning head down.

What does that make me?

p.s. Yeah I am only 23.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I wasn't attacking you, I was making a joke. I could just see you standing in a dark corner at the dz saying to the newbies, "psstt...come here. Wanna go really fast? I'll show you some fun..." :ph34r:

BTW, don't call me Honey again. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm not going to say that I'm a serious belly flyer... because I'm not. I will say however that belly flying isn't just for senior citizens. RW is awsome, and if you have seen some of the stuff belly flyers do I'm sure your mouth will drop. I think that you should show some respect for that particular aspect of skydiving because without RW there would be no freefly.The basics of freefly all started from the knowlage we aquired from bellyflying. I'm sure that an accomplished belly flyer could pick up freeflying a lot easier than someone who learned how to jump out of a plane and just make a few turns. Just a question, have you ever seen Craig Deraird(?) fly? Not only is he an awsome bellyflyer but he is also amazing as a freeflyer!

Sorry if I spelled Craig's name wrong... and for that matter anything else.
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

YEEEEEAAAAAA!!!!!!
The hell with 180mph.

GO BIG!!!!!

Put on a pair of cement shoes & do 300+mph without a rig.

The cement will break your fall.

180mph is for kids.
I can go 500000mph naked backwards eating a cheese sandwich.
I call it NAKEANAUTI With cheese.

I've seen the RW stuff from nationals. Yes they are very skilled skydivers, but practicing the same exact routine 15 times a day for 3 months fails to amaze me. It is one dimensional flying, the most exciting thing they do is a burble hop here and there. Now show me 4 guys hitting that many points in VRW and, my jaw hits the floor. RW groups take way too long in the door so by the time the freeflyers get out we have to open higher to get back. Alot of RW jumpers seem pissed of all the time, they are so serious it's like they forget that were supposed to be having fun. I guess that is why they call it work. Of course I think it is better to be an eclectic skydiver(did i spell that right Vertifly, and was eclectic an appropriate adj. to describe a well rounded skydiver). I still feel freefly is more challenging and alot more exciting. Yes we should learn all diciplines but be a freeflyer that does belly too. Rw is becoming out dated, the only hope is has for advancing is by mixing freeflying in with it.

I started freeflying early, and i am still in my very wee stages of skydiving. I initially thought belly looked kinda slow and dull which is why i started freeflying. I hadn't seen a 4-way team in action till recently and was blown away. I need better belly skills was the conclusion i drew, especially after going back to belly after a bunch (relative term) of freefly jumps and realized how much i sucked. From my limited experience, belly and backflying are musts which is why i have been adding em back into my "routine" when i hit the DZ on weekends. For new people like me, i say keep up with the belly flying even while learning to freefly, there is some cool shit to do with it. We never would have learned in the first place if we didnt have some nasty belly flyers on either side in the beginning! Be safe, clear skies
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

I gotta give it to atticus , who cares about a bunch of old guys wearing gay ass RW jumpsuits smelling like ben gay ! Thats all these old timers can do is jump on there belly's , cuz if they did some free flying there arms would fall off . I dont think there old brittle bodies can take 170 mph , they would fall apart in mid air . I've seen 4 ways in action and theres nothing special about what they do . These guys put like 300 hours in the tunnel and make 800 jumps in a year doing the same routine . Rw is boring , but free flying is fun . So if your new in skydiving forget RW and Jump head first into Free Flying you won't regret it .

I prefer freeflying because I have more fun doing it but I definitely appreciate and am in awe of the skills that the good RW people have. In competitions that they've had at Deland over the years, I've seen the videos of Majik, Airspeed and the Golden Knights. When I see how many points they can do in the same time I can do about...oh, probably 3 :ph34r:...I'm really impressed!

Different strokes for different folks, man...it's all good. B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've seen the RW stuff from nationals. Yes they are very skilled skydivers, but practicing the same exact routine 15 times a day for 3 months fails to amaze me.

How do you think the freefly routines are practiced? They don't just pull those out of their butts the day of the competition. :D Now granted, there are those teams capable of that but I bet they prepare in much the same way, repeating their routine maybe hundreds of times.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Ohhhh, you are such a radical rebel :S (in a conformist sort of way).

I bet everyone will want to be like you. And the women likely are standing in line to bear your children.:S

You may wonder why people start to wander away soon after you open your mouth. No one here does.

(How'd I do? It's not coarse, but pretty nicely composed... I know you're just having a bit of ignorant fun.)

Seriously - One discipline wonders never fail to amaze me in how closed minded they are in all aspects of their lives. I really wouldn't purposely fall into that stereotype. A couple years of experience in the sport and they always figure it out or they quit the sport before then.

This last weekend I did a multipoint FF (only three orientations though) - a couple really decent 4 ways, and a coach jump with a friend back from Iraq who hasn't jumped in a year and a half. Without the belly stuff, it wouldn't have been nearly as good a time. Ditto for the HD and Sit and back skills (and the bootie flying at the end of the 2nd 4way...)

(after you learn to really freefly instead of just flailing, try some hard core 4way RW, try some CrW, try some wingsuit, try a bit of base, try some atmo...) Why close your options in such a rich sport? You have no clue (in what all you are missing).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants