totalbodypilot

I'm going to Airborne School!

It was easy but then again it was 1977 for me and I was preparing to go to SF (which was a LOT harder)

Slow runs
Pull ups
sit-ups

walk a mile with gear (oooo) Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

The ladies were just starting to go Airborne in '77. They ran in a separate pack at a slower pace, and were not required to do the 8 pull ups after the run. Which I thought was bogus. If you don't have the upper body strength to do a pull up how would you pull slip on an old round? :S:P

My son, who is in SF, thought Airboren School was pretty much a joke. But I'll let others who have been the more recent than me comment.

steveOrino

Went through in '92. It was pretty much a joke. Alot of fun, but a joke as far as military schools go. I had to do my own runs and PT at night to stay in shape.

10 years down the road in '02, it sure wasn't a cakewalk in my opinion... but I'm a weenie :P

And Colon bro you're kicking some major ass! Congrats on your new venture, your PT scores are quite impressive.

The ladies were just starting to go Airborne in '77. They ran in a separate pack at a slower pace, and were not required to do the 8 pull ups after the run. Which I thought was bogus. If you don't have the upper body strength to do a pull up how would you pull slip on an old round?

Not that way anymore. We're at the beginning of the pack on the runs and do every bit of PT the males do. If you fall out, you're out of the school.

The ladies were just starting to go Airborne in '77. They ran in a separate pack at a slower pace, and were not required to do the 8 pull ups after the run. Which I thought was bogus. If you don't have the upper body strength to do a pull up how would you pull slip on an old round?

Not that way anymore. We're at the beginning of the pack on the runs and do every bit of PT the males do. If you fall out, you're out of the school.

They push the females through that fall out of the runs if they dont meet their quota for that graduating class. I remember pretty much every day the same 4-5 females would fall out... They all were at graduation... One was an honor grad... go figure..

They push the females through that fall out of the runs if they dont meet their quota for that graduating class. I remember pretty much every day the same 4-5 females would fall out... They all were at graduation... One was an honor grad... go figure..

WTF? Wasn't like that in my company. No way, you fall out, you're gone.

WTF? Wasn't like that in my company. No way, you fall out, you're gone.

to many people fail and you have the TRADOC SGT MAJs looking at your course... no one wants that, so lots of no-go's get 'slipped by ' in all levels of training...[:/]

then the NCOs who got 'slipped' have to try and train them... and the ugly cycle continues....>:(

its okay though only 80% of you have to get to the ground combat ready anyway.. [:/];)

I have fond memories of my time spent at Airborne school. I went in 2002 as a ROTC cadet, one of 25 females in a class of 400. ... Also, the DZ is huge. If you are one of the first ones out the door, Anticipate landing about a mile away from the pickup point. At least it seemed like a mile away to a 125 lb. girl hauling a giant parachute, reserve, stuffed rucksack with one broken strap, and a weapon carrying case with a plywood board in it across a giant field.

Shauna

The leaders of our "elite" Army forces complaining about walking what seemed to be a mile :S. Sheesh! No wonder I'm cynical! ;)

steveOrino

Ahh the joy of a good old mass tach jump with 10 C141s on Sicily DZ. Man I miss those days. Good luck in Airborne School. There used to be a shirt out when I went through that said Until you have jumped 40 lbs of parachute 100 lbs of equipment in the dead of the night with at least 140 other jumps you havent done shit. I dont know about all that but Im making my first AFF jump sunday and cant wait........AIRBORNE

I know ill go to heaven because ive spent my time in Hell.

To my dear Steve Orino,

I'm sorry you took my comment about having to walk what seemed like a mile across a DZ with heavy gear as a complaint. Quite the contrary. It was moments such as those that made Airborne school all the more memorable. And if you think that perhaps a female can't be up to par with the "elite" leaders of today's Army, you are talking to the wrong person. I can run faster than most males(12:19 2 mile), did all my pull ups without assistance, and am now flying the Army's most technologically advanced attack helicopter, the AH-64D Apache.

Shauna

Diablo Pantalones Rodriguez...giving the devil his due in spandex and a smile.
Pink Mafia #435...Pink is my new obsession.
Team Dirty Sanchez #149

To my dear Steve Orino,

I'm sorry you took my comment about having to walk what seemed like a mile across a DZ with heavy gear as a complaint. Quite the contrary. It was moments such as those that made Airborne school all the more memorable. And if you think that perhaps a female can't be up to par with the "elite" leaders of today's Army, you are talking to the wrong person. I can run faster than most males(12:19 2 mile), did all my pull ups without assistance, and am now flying the Army's most technologically advanced attack helicopter, the AH-64D Apache.

Shauna

I'm not directing at you per say, but you must admit your original post sounded like whining. Walking one mile with gear -- gimme a break! ;)

Back in my day they allowed women to go through on lower standards. I hope they don't do that now. My daughter, the mother of two girls, (former Collegiate All Conference shortstop) could kick most guys butt. Sounds like you may be able to as well. Good. That kind of women we need. We DON'T need women (or men) who can't pass muster.

steveOrino

I have fond memories of my time spent at Airborne school. I went in 2002 as a ROTC cadet, one of 25 females in a class of 400. ... Also, the DZ is huge. If you are one of the first ones out the door, Anticipate landing about a mile away from the pickup point. At least it seemed like a mile away to a 125 lb. girl hauling a giant parachute, reserve, stuffed rucksack with one broken strap, and a weapon carrying case with a plywood board in it across a giant field.

Shauna

The leaders of our "elite" Army forces complaining about walking what seemed to be a mile :S. Sheesh! No wonder I'm cynical! ;)

She was an ROTC cadet... Not apart of the Airborne... Its a bit different. She came from college and went back to college after completion of the course... No offense Shauna.

Shauna

She was an ROTC cadet... Not apart of the Airborne... Its a bit different. She came from college and went back to college after completion of the course... No offense Shauna.

Okay, let me repharse... Airborne soldier complaining about walking what seemed to be a mile, Sheesh! No wonder Im cynica!;)

That better? :S

steveOrino

Shauna

Okay, let me repharse... Airborne soldier complaining about walking what seemed to be a mile, Sheesh! No wonder Im cynica!;)

Nope... She was an ROTC cadet that for whatever reason got a slot in airborne school.....

Nope... She was an ROTC cadet that for whatever reason got a slot in airborne school.....

I'll try again ... Cadet with jump wings complaining about walking what seemed to be a mile, Sheesh! No wonder Im cynica!;);)

steveOrino

THanks BRIT!:$ Your always a #1 with me from the time me meet and jumped! I leave 24th this month (April) to ABN School then Millitary riggers school.... five days leave...FT. Cambell to hook up with my unit 3BN/20Th Special Forces 8-1-06 range traning, then to the SANDBOX!
You all free fly and falll hard far me! I have my parachutest, & Skydive mags being sent to me, so show me some new SHIT!
When i get back there will be a BIG BOOGIE and PARTY in ZHILLS! I'll let you know when i can.....untill then......
BLUE SKIES to you ALL!!!!!!
Enjoy every JUMP,......wish i could be there with ya!!
PEACE!;)
PFC Colon Berry
3BN/20TH SFG (ABN)
p.s. my new email: [email protected]
seek and destroy, clear and sweep, what ever you want to call it, its all fun in games in the game of war.