EVOL

Good FreeFly Suit

hello all.........i am starting my second season of jumping and i want to get a jumpsuit. there are 3 factors involved:

1. i dont want to spend $250 on a jumpsuit i will rip up while learing.

2. i have a very slow rate of fall (even freeflying) because i am 6'3" and big jumpsuits make me even slower. i was thinking freefly pants but the ones i had last season didnt hold my shirt in.

3. i would like to buy a new one instead of a used because i want to make sure it fits the first time.

it seems like all the reviews on this site are all positive on every jumpsuit reviewed so........any suggestions?

freefly pants would be nice if they hold my shirt in.

EVOL

those are $300-$400 suits. im looking for something a little less in case i have a few hard landing on my new rig.

What you are describing, is a used pair of freefly pants. Its the cheapest route your gonna find. Or build them yourself.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I got lucky on a used flitesuit bomber freefly pants/jacket combo for $100 that fit me quite well. I didn't think it was possible... I'm 6'4" and fall slow as well. I looked around both online and at the dropzone and just got lucky one day.

So if you don't have the cash to drop on something new right now... you might get lucky.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I'd go for Sonic
www.sonicflywear.com

They do a Basic suit for €235 Euro ($280 Dollars)
These suits are excellent, And you won't rip it up whilst learning because they are built to last!
Babylon use Sonic Suits too

http://www.sonicflywear.com/download/suit1.pdf

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

what about firefly pants? they have good reviews everywhere.........anyone have experience with them? mainly want to know if my shirt will stay tucked in and not fly over my handles in a sit. looks like a new pair of firefly pants start at about $140.

EVOL

Hi,
You said you were looking for something cheap right? Well, Freak'n suits make super cheap freefly pants, they are 80$, and their suits start out with 180. Just explain your dilemma with the whole shirt not fitting, and I am sure that they can custom make something for you that will fit and hold a t-shirt in. Look under gear section for their address.
Hope this helps. :)

Hi

Do you know anyone with a sewing machine? Have you got more time than money? Would learning a new thing be a chore or a pleasure?

I have absolutely no background or training in pattern drafting or sewing, but I'm a tight-wad, and I'm not going to pay someone over the odds for a very simple bit of clothing. How hard could it be? Answer; not very if you're prepared to do a bit of reading and take a logical approach.

I started by cutting up some old clothing and copying the shapes onto tracing paper. Doesn't have to be a one piece thing, a shirt and a pair of trousers will do if you apply a bit of intelligence.

Start with some really cheap end-of-roll bargain-bin stuff and make a mock-up using the tracing paper pattern. Adjust the fit and modify the pattern accordingly. Then make your real one. Don't be too ambitious - simple panels, nothing fancy. Save the appliqued flames for Mk II.

If it's too baggy and you fall too slowly, you won't be hesitant about modifying it to take some of the bag out, because you made it in the 1st place.

For info, I made mine out of denim-weight cotton drill, tie dyed various shades of blue. It was done on an ordinary domestic (Pfaff) sewing machine, bought second hand for farthings. It's sewn with M40 ('E' thread) bonded nylon thread. The longest part of the job was probably the iterating the mock-up, but it's worth getting the fit right - does it castrate you when you raise your arms, that kind of thing. Once you've got the pattern right, you can use it to make others with minor mods.

Spend some time looking at the *insides* of jump suits, to see how they're constructed, especially round the zip and wrist/ankle cuffs. Everything else is pretty straightforward. I keep reading threads about people waiting umpteen weeks for suits, not being happy with the results. Arseholes to that; you could have learned how to sew and made the damn thing to your exact requirements three times over. *pant*, *pant*, *pant*.

HTH
John

im considering a liquidsky "cosmo" suit -> anyone hav one ? opinions?

very high quality, that is why the higher price, ouragon suits are similar in price and quality.

I love the liquid sky suit, they are a new company, and the turnaround on your suit has been fairly quick. I know they are starting to get more buissness though, so im not sure what the turnaround is right now, you should email them and ask.

www.liquidskysports.com

Also check out Kurupee http://www.kurupee.com/ They start at $159 for a suit and $109 for pants. I've been told they are not the best quality but that is about the same price you'd pay for a used suit by other manufacturers. Plus, the response time I've experienced with Kurupee is FAST!!! Plus, you could pick you own colors :)

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

I have made two pairs and I gotta say, buying a pattern from a fabric store is the way to go. The patterns go on sale all the time, and usually cost around $1.

There is a place online that has the Supplex fabric that a lot of suits are made out of, and I was actually able to make a nice pair of pants.

In terms of buying a suit. I would go with Freak N Suits. They aren't the top of the line, but they are inexpensive, look great and are very durable. The people there are awesome, and I even got my suit quickly. Custom design and only cost around $200. It also cleans up well. I have had a few crashes, and it still looks new. Just don't get any white on the suit or pants.

Also, like someone else said, get a longer shirt. I can keep a shirt tucked into gym shorts if it is long enough.

Peas,
Lori
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

I have made two pairs and I gotta say, buying a pattern from a fabric store is the way to go. The patterns go on sale all the time, and usually cost around $1.

Hi

You must have better fabric stores than we have round these here parts! I've found nothing in the way of (commercial) patterns for what I wanted.

Regards
John

There are hundreds of patterns at the JoAnn fabrics around the corner. Granted, it is not a pattern for freefly pants, I think it was some kind of hip hugger, bar pants or something. I modified a little bit, and made them in a larger size, used the fabric I wanted, and designed a crazy bling design, and now I have some pants.
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

i have been sitting back and taking in the info you guys have posted so far. i would really like to eventually learn to make my own gear. i am a craftsman and enjoy learning new trades but i dont have the time or a sewing machine right now. im working 70 hours a week.

i have it narrowed down to 2 choices.

- Freefly Freakin Suit
or
- Firefly Frreefly Pants

im leaning a little more toward the pants because it gets very hot and humid here in the summer and the pants will be a little more comfortable than a full suit. the user reviews of the firefly pants say they have a belt in them that keeps your T-shirt tucked in even in a sit.

what do you guys think?

I would go with freak' n Suits. My friend MX is 6'4" 190lbs and his fits him great. Just tell them your situation on the phone... don't just leave it up to the measurments. But thier suits are very durable, everybody that got them here in Lodi has put more that 1500 jumps on them in the last year to 2 years and just recently started ordering new ones. Good luck
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause