Hawkins121

Freefly.. Where to start?

I want to start to learn to freefly. I am curious about the best way to go about progressing. Alot of people tell me to learn to sitfly first but that doesnt make alot of sense if you dont know how to backfly. In the mean time I will be working on some Belly RW if only to learn to control my fall rate and get use to flying in relation to others.

So what is better to learn first and how do you start? (Backfly, sitfly etc)

Also, How do you learn to freefly without getting a coach? Im spending alot of cash on gear and wont be able to pay $60 a jump. At least for a few months :S.

Backflying is your "out" for head up, so you should work on it first. You don't have to kick ass at it or anything, just be comfortable and nuetral.

As a beginning freeflier, I can tell you sometimes I learn more about freeflying in one coached, filmed and properly debriefed jump than five solos.

Or find a DZ with some good freefly LO's and mooch all the knowledge and jumps you can off of them...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Backflying is your "out" for head up, so you should work on it first. You don't have to kick ass at it or anything, just be comfortable and nuetral.

This is more true for tunnel flying than for skydiving. But in the tunnel recovery is much more critical since the flying space is so restricted.

The "VRW Stable" position and its variants are just as good if not better as a recovery position when learning head up flying. Using the back as a control surface is important in freeflying, but one doesn't have to start with back flying in order to learn to freefly outside the tunnel. Of course if someone wants to its not the worst idea in the world.

Learn to fly well on your belly first, then,.....and I know you probably don't want to hear it.........get some good coaching. Like most other things in life, if you start with a solid foundation, it may go slow at first but your advancement will make leaps and bounds once you master the basics. After that it's just a matter of jumping........a lot.........all the time........learn to pack fast and just get on loads and go go go

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

Im kinda in your position. I started trying to freefly around 30-35 jumps. Before i did anything i got coaching, it definitely helps and gives you something to work on when you arent being coached. Ive been taught to learn to backfly first because it's supposed to be a great tool to build the rest of freeflying from, esp head up. I've been doing AT LEAST 1 coach jump for every 9 solo freefly attempts, usually a lil more frequently than that.But yeah, get coaching to start just so you dont do anything that could be dangerous (backsliding a sit over or under someone else...) It is much harder to feel forward and rear movement in vertical positions, having others around you gives much better perception. Get coached, stay safe, jump lots!!!!! Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat!
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Guest 1010
Check out A Guide to Beginning Freeflying from the APF.

Some people disagree on parts of it (like barrel rolls in tracks) but it seems like a good place to start.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Also, How do you learn to freefly without getting a coach?

Easy.....make sure you and your stuff is freefly friendly and you have had a full freefly safety brief then go get tips and advice.....
All can be accomplished by asking a suitably experienced Freeflyer on your DZ.
But really you'll get along a whole lot better......and progress quicker by getting at least some coached jumps ( say every 1 in 5 jumps you do..)

I was in your spot a year ago. I learned in the tunnel. It was the absolute best place to learn! If you can't make it there, then do just what these others have said. Back fly, and get some coaching.

I have also done a lot of belly jumps in there, and I think I am learning FF faster because of it.

Good luck!
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

I learned in the tunnel. It was the absolute best place to learn!

Just remember that when learning FF there is often alot of drastic speed changes and horizontal movement.......yes you SHOULDNT do those things but when learning its a fact of life that you need space to be able to explore whats happening when you change your body position......personally I think this exploration is alot more dramatic (in terms of of movement) when FF compared to being on your belly.
The tunnel is obviously alot more restrictive in this way and does not give you the room to 'explore'

I didn't find that to be the case in the tunnel at all. Any small movement had a larger reaction, so it limited my small movements creating the proper sit fly form. The coach that worked with me walked me throught the steps of learning, and I did not find that I was backsliding, or anything like that. I had perfect form (because otherwise, you can't really fly in the tunnel.)

Then once I had the form figured out I went in the sky and explored, and backslid, and orbited and all those good things you get to go through when you are learning.

I disagree.
I think having the room to 'move' when you first start learning FF is a very important part of the process.
I was very frustrated learning backfly in the tunnel as the wall was never further than half an armslength away......one second of loss of form from a stable position and I had to break the position to 'push' back off the wall.
No room for 'exploration' of the position back to recovery.

Yeah, like my form? Wish I could have kept the same form as I had in the tunnel!! I knew I couldn't get away with using the word perfect.... hell I don't know that I have ever done anything perfectly.

The point was, that it helped me figure out the right form, and then I took it from there. Without someone standing in front of me to correct my form....

Blue ones.

The Avalore Freefly School has just added a monthly newsletter to their website. The first issue will be published at the end of February.

The newsletter will contain brand new articles, freefly tips, exclusive training videos, coaching offers and news on all of our events as well as anything else that we think might be of interest to you.

When signed up to our newsletter you will recieve all of this before it is published anywhere else as well as recieving offers that no one else will be eligible for.

To signup to this FREE freefly newsletter please follow this link:
http://www.avalorefreefly.com/lists/?p=subscribe

We hope you all find it as useful and informative as we hope it will be :)
Avalore Freefly
http://www.avalorefreefly.com