fluidynamic

Has anyone ever had a malfunction which...

Yes. Had a Center Crew Line (A-line on the center cell) some how in a line over. Looked at it and decided I had altitude and time, I cut it with a jack the ripper and landed just fine, but the canopy looked a bit odd.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Just off the top of my head, and for non-CRWjumps: there's a post somewhere on here where a cameraflyer got his swoopcord stuck on his helmet while trying to grab his toggle, he needed his knife to free his hand. Also there's a video of Tom Aiello floating around where he fixes a lineover on a BASE jump with his knife.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Could have been fixed with a hook knife?

I was using some old dacron line as swoop cords at the 87 nats and they somehow tied themselves in a knot when I threw them off my hands under canopy. I was basically handcuffed, with my hands about 4 inches apart. Hook knife to the rescue.

If you don't have a hookknife when you need one, you may never need one again.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Better to have one and not need it, then to need one and not have it.

Are you thinking that there is no need to carry one?

It's a couple of ounces of very good insurance.

I just wanted to get an ideal of how necessary they are... I had one, but somehow lost it. Probably going to get another
Don't worry... I'll stay out of the incident reports

Four years ago we held a CRW camp for people who have never done CRW. A visiting jumper came a very long way just to partake. The was a three way momentary wrap resulting in a very experienced jumper cutting away and the visiting newbie having the cuttaway canopy's bridle wrapped up in his riser/Slider zone requiring the use of a hooknife. The new guy loved it.

Better to have one and not need it, then to need one and not have it.
Are you thinking that there is no need to carry one?
It's a couple of ounces of very good insurance.

I just wanted to get an ideal of how necessary they are... I had one, but somehow lost it. Probably going to get another

The odds of needing one are slim. But when you need one, you need it bad. It could save your life.
It's your call. Which is more important to you: $30, or your life?

Had a steering line knot itself when the brake was unstowed on a Sabre 150. After trying unsuccessfully to unknot it, I cut the steering line and landed on rear risers. Much simpler to replace a lower steering line than to cut away an otherwise good canopy.

Kevin K.

Don't forget the premature reserve deployment in the door.. you might want one then.

Yeah? For what? Elaborate.

For one... hanging off the tail of an in-flight aircraft can be detrimental to ones enjoyment of the day. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Just remember: dont get fixated trying to do rigging work in the air.

Hooknswoop induced a few reserve rides a few years ago to see if he could do the same on a fairly highly loaded canopy, and even knowing which line he had to cut, the mal was violent enough that he couldn't identify the line during the mal.

And be careful when taking the knife out of it sheath. A friend borrowed mine (in front of me) and did a nice knick in my chest strap. As with any non-essential tool on your rig, be aware of its downsides.
Remster

Pssst - 'twardo... I know that someone like you would come up with good reasons. Just wanted to see if the "kid" was also thinking with his OWN head too here, is all.

But thanks for playin'! ;)

Kinda like a date with a hot chick...I got the 'easy one' out of the way quick.

I can think of a couple more! :)

Hooknswoop induced a few reserve rides a few years ago to see if he could do the same on a fairly highly loaded canopy, and even knowing which line he had to cut, the mal violent enough that he couldn't identify the line during the mal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VERY true.

I had a line over on a reserve and missed the right one twice!

Don't forget the premature reserve deployment in the door.. you might want one then.

Yeah? For what? Elaborate.

I suppose if you get hung up on the tail by your reserve, you could use your knife to chop enough to free yourself from the tail, then dump your main and hope it clears the mess enough to save your life.

There's actually a fairly recent video with almost that: Camera jumper's reserve popped in the door; reserve canopy gets destroyed (but not hung up) by the tail; and after futilely trying to haul in the streamering reserve for a bit, the jumper finally dumps his main into the mess. He lived. Maybe someone reading this can find the link.

There's actually a fairly recent video with almost that: Camera jumper's reserve popped in the door; reserve canopy gets destroyed (but not hung up) by the tail; and after futilely trying to haul in the streamering reserve for a bit, the jumper finally dumps his main into the mess. He lived. Maybe someone reading this can find the link.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bv_NqiT7pM

Thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3647966;

Scariest piece of film since The Shining.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bv_NqiT7pM

Thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3647966;

Scariest piece of film since The Shining.

This one comes in a close second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAQ43yUVLho&feature=related

A guy at our DZ deployed unstably on his second wingsuit jump, resulting in the lines of his main tangled around his feet. He cut the main away with his hook knife.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.