Westie

Feel the air? whats with that???

A few months ago I had some freefly coaching at an unamed dropzone with a unamed so called freefly coach who after doing 8 jumps with me recomended that I go away and just feel the air for the next couple of jumps??

As you can imagine, it aint to cheep to jump in the UK especialy when being coached. I felt let down and feel that Ive not improved after the coaching or by implimenting the touchy feely advice I got.

What does, "feel the air", actualy mean ?

Im sort of get the feeling Ive been fobbed off with some pretty broad advice. Is this normal practice for coaches to give the old just feel it more line?

would like to hear peoples thoughts on what I consider to be this lazy coaching style.

13's unlucky for some, but not for old Fred!

If the coach wanted him to go away and practice by himself for a while then he would say that and hopefully give him some specifics to work on rather than 'just feel the air'.

In my own opinion I think this is one of the major differences between a good freeflyer and a good coach. Just because they are a good freeflyer does not mean they will be a good coach. Some freeflyers are good at certain skills themselves but do not know exactly how they perform these skills and therefore cannot, or find it very difficult to, explain it to someone else.

To answer your other question, no I dont think this is normal practice for freefly coaches. Some coaches yes, some coaches no. All have their own style of coaching. You need to find a coach that has a style to suit you or even better will adapt their coaching to suit your needs.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong

I completely agree with you, I would expect a coach to give you something to work towards...but an example where I can see the comment feel the air being used would be for example, when practising forward movement in a sit...although to be fair I agree I would expect more input to be given to a student just learning, especially if that student has just paid for a good few coach jumps

Thats all he said ??

If so..... Yeah thats pretty standard in my experience with coaching... LOL I have been witness to Max cohn coaching......far better....probably best Ive seen.

Alot of "coaches" have a pretty shallow understanding/awareness of what they are doing and just parrot cliches like "Feel the Air" "Dont think ...Feel" "Just do it"

Chances are he probably meant that you would benefit from solos where you can really focus without a coach as a distraction.

Freeflying is very visual and feeling oriented and alot of people find it hard to communicate via words their understanding, especially the "naturals". For alot of people learning to freefly requires learning a whole new way of thinking that no amount of jumps will give.

It like 1in the morning here..... I cant be fooked getting into it.....

http://www.navaching.com/hawkeen/atten.html

Thats sites a goldmine.....Seek and you shall find.

peripheral vision....balance.....breathing.....awareness

blablablablablabla
bla

and..... bla
Yahoo Serious

"feeling" the air is a common term for how the friction of the air feels upon your body. I have to admit that if that is all he said, it was a slight injustice, but the phrase is quite valid.

In sit flying, there is a very difinitive air pressure on your chest if you are backsliding. That would indicate you should thrust your hips forward, which would straighten your back.

In HD, feeling the air is damn near everything. A couple of times I have jumped solo being the first out, and closed my eyes for most of the jump. This forces upon you to use your other senses that can seem ignored when you are depending on so much visual stimulation. You can literally "feel" your movement as you fly. Its quite a sensation, and not for the faint of heart. I don't reccommend it if you are not able to have total bodily control with your eyes open, and are the only one in the sky. Like a Cessna load with only 1 tandem on it. Make sure you have multiple dytters and have some sense of time. Otherwise, your farked.:P Do this once, and you will realize what he was referring to.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

FEELING THE AIR
By ErikZeroB|

(say in russian accent)

Feeling the air is like having hot sex with monkey.

wild & crazy!

Like friend pulling reserve handle while you climb out on camera step.

Like getting hit by bus in New York city while looking up at buildings eating a hot dog.

Like being 12yrs old & walking in on your parents having sex.

:S

DO YOU FEEL THE AIR?
LOL

hahahaha the accent makes it so funny....i could hear my friend speaking in my head....he just spent some time in poland and now speaks fluent communism.....

Yes a good student should ask for clarification if he needs......but i think a good coach(one worth paying) should be very thorough in their explanation and know when their student understands them. A professional freefly coach should put as much thought into their training as an aff instructor. Some of these guys charge good money.

Ah but whatever --- good point -- at the end of the day it is up to the student.

bla bla bla bla and bla
Yahoo Serious