piercewhat

Sitfly 143mph in shorts and tshirt HELP!!

I have tried many positions to speed this up. I am 6'2" 175. I am almost in a stand to stay with the head down and the other sitflyers. Just to lanky and grab to much air. If i bring my arms up to increase speed in sit I can't take docks. If I am in my almost stand every little movement puts me a little more unstable. Any pointers?

143 is a good speed. I'd jump with ya. Tell the other people to slow down.

No it's not. A good versatile speed is between 155 and 165. 160 is a good midrange speed for both disciplines.

Most 'slow fallers' are simply leaning forward.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

I have tried many positions to speed this up. I am 6'2" 175. I am almost in a stand to stay with the head down and the other sitflyers. Just to lanky and grab to much air. If i bring my arms up to increase speed in sit I can't take docks. If I am in my almost stand every little movement puts me a little more unstable. Any pointers?

dude do you have a pilot chute in tow?:P
im sure you aren't "too lanky", you just need to refine your technique.
Are you 175 with gear, or without?
I am 6'-4" and 195 with gear. I have no problems going fast or slow.
What did Dave say about your speed?

Do you have any video of your sit flying? It would be helpful to comment on what to work on if you did.
my power is beyond your understanding.

This may not be any consolation yet, but just keep jumping. It will sort itself out. I can fly belly speeds in a sit all the way to streamlined stand-ups. If I can, you can. It's simply a matter of time.

145ish isn't all that slow. It's not fast by any means but it will pick up when your balance is more refined.

Remember to keep the arms out to the side and bent... (I'm old school so I sometimes forget). As your balance increases, the ability to speed up by pushing down on the feet more increases as well.

Don't fly with your feet together unless it's simply to fly really fast for whatever reason.

I'd recommend going out and doing some stand up spins, stand up to multiple layout back flips, standup to a bunch of front flips stopping in a sit or stand. Stand and walk very slowly to gain independent limb control. While in a sit, clap your hands... stuff like that.

All that will increase your balance and body awareness making it much easier to fly at whatever speed you choose.

Hope that helps.

Edit: because I'm a great speller! However, the dictionary doesn't agree.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Put your legs maybe a touch wider than \/ and much less than _ _

Flying close the the splits is much less stable. Think 3 legged stool. If the legs are placed * * * it will fall over. Make sense?

Feathers. as fun as they may be, do not belong in the ass. Removing them will be less distracting and allow you to concentrate more on flying.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I think hookit gave good advice, but to ad, try to insure your torso is straight, perpendicular to the earth, and not leaning forward, cupping air, with your arms stuck behing you, cupping air, try to fly with your arms out to the the sides, and not behind you. There are many positions between a sit and a stand, all different kinds of sit stands, experitment. I'm 225 lb. out the door and 6'2", and jump with a lot of lighter people. We are trying to stay between 150 and 155 protrac speed, and several people are struggling to go that fast comfortably, including some with thosands of jumps. There is this talented light lady, who is very light and long limbed, I asker her to try standing with me, asking her to let her arms come a bit to deal with the speed, she took off and I strained to keep with her, afterward her protrac showed an average speed of 195, very fast for me standing and trying to do anything except staying relative, I asked her why she was going so fast, she said that it took to much effort to push down with her arms. The lesson is, you can stand, but the easiest way to go faster, is to simply let your arms relax up as required, you can dock when your arms are at 45 degrees, and that shlould get you going very fast. Keep up the good work, I'd love to jump with you. By the way, it's really tough for me to go 145, 143-no way, unless on my back.
SCR-21

There's a guy at our dz that started off having the same problems as you do, he's fairly tall and skinny, maybe weighs 140 pounds.

At first, nobody could stay with him in a sit (too slow), he fixed his body position and there have been times were I had to go into a stand when we were jumping together.. now he flies very comfortable in the low to mid 150s in a sit.

I'm about 6'2, 205 pounds.. so not a small guy at all...

143 is a good speed. I'd jump with ya. Tell the other people to slow down.

Agreed!

No it's not. A good versatile speed is between 155 and 165. 160 is a good midrange speed for both disciplines.

I guess this would depend on where / who you are flying with. When I started sit flying, I was averaging 155-160mph...I started getting some jumps in with Anomaly and they worked with me to slow down to an average of around 145mph or so....It puts it in a nice range to where I can speed up or slow down but fly comfy with most others. Yes..some say I'm slow..but then you go back to my DZ and I'm considered a bit fast...It's all relative. 160 just seems too fast to be your "average" fall rate.

Try doing complex multi dimensional block and random formations at 145 in a sit with HD flyers and see how far it gets you.

160 is a good middle range for both disciplines. Take a look at the VRW teams and you'll see sit flyers are having to learn to fly faster.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer