Daffy or straddle in HD?

What's the difference? Is it to do with being less supple so therefore easier to fly daffy? Is turning easier flying daffy? Is forward/backward movement easier with straddle?

Thanks for any advice

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Ideally, learn both and then learn every possible inch in-between the two.

Out to the side with knees slightly bent is the way I do it. To get REALLY slow, I will do a 45-degree spread (not daffy or straddle but in between).

Try doing several jumps just to get used to having noticably more drag on your legs than arms in head down. Lower body control is key in the air while upside down.

I was told to learn straddle, that way when I finally got it HD, I was going straight down the tube w/o my legs compensating for incorrect upper body positions.

Now (almost 200 jumps later), in videos, I see my legs moving all over, from straddle to daffy & in-between. Just going where they need to go do either slow down more, speed up, orbit, turn & speed up...

In the end, both are needed. I was in a 4-wya doing a flower point, both people on each side of me were flying straddle, I couldn't get my feet straight out to the side too w/o running into them, so I went more daffy. Learn everywhere your legs can go w/o turning you so you can maintain fall rate or adjust it & fit possibly into a very small slot.

But IMHO, learning straddle is the most effective way to make sure you're flying your whole body, not just your legs.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I asked this of a coach whilst learning the techniques. His response was that daffy is used more when you need to fall straight down the tube, with very little movement e.g. big-ways I guess.

I was told the same thing.....
Initially ......with the 'stiff' position I had with HD ...I fell really fast !!!
And I suspect you might have the same issue....
At that time I thought the only way I would be able to slow down is with a 'Daffy position' ie...maximum spread of my legs fore/aft........more surface area etc.
I was wrong...
The more I relax in a 'tradional' HD position with legs wide and hooked....the more I can slow down...and the less I have 'focused' on a daffy position
Personally I'm not even ready for the proximity that the Daffy position will let me achieve with its movement control....
But That doesnt stop me practicing it !!

Just my personal opinions.....and as you know.....I have as much experience HD as I do in the sport of 'Native American midget throwing'
;)

Erica is correct.

Straddle first.. Toes foward knees not really bent but not locked either.

Practice by standing around in that position and pushing outward.

When you get comfortable, the legs just do what they need to. attemping to learn daffy first on purpose is mostly likely going to make you fly crooked.

Be square with what/who you fly with. When taking a grip (not too far down the road from now) your body should remain square to the subject and you simply reach out for the grip without turning the body.

That strong straddle position will be engrained by then.

Good luck.

Hope that helps
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto