Jskydiver22

Jumpsuits

I had a FF coach inform me that there are actually several reasons for the switch, primarily among them: allows for more precision/accuracy while flying, and prevents the development of poor habits that compensates for baggy legs. Essentially, it is function rather than fashion that has usurped the change.
J.

f**k style. Get what you need to fly your body. small people need tighter jump suits, fatter people need baggier suits. Trying to look cool is what led to patch pants, and hot pink and neon green RW suits.

yeah mine is slimer cut right now, and I really have to work at it or fly daffy to stay with groups...so I designed a new jumpsuit, and asked merlin for a tiny bit extra from the last one to see the difference...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I agree! Style can be way overrated. But it just seems like the "style" now is going tighter. Its kind of like belly flyers a long time ago. Remember how everyone had the big jumpsuits for bellyflying "way back then" :D and look at them now.

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

yea I tried the tight slim fit.. it works but damn I am 230lbs out of the door.. I have to fly my ass off with that suit. needless to say I went back to a little drag.. the jumps are supposed to be relaxing for me.. I am glad all you little guys are going to fast suits it makes my day easier..
as far as style... having some baggy and a little sagg is much more cooler than black, green and purple spandex freefly suits;)................
Ian my bru I will see you in Atlanta in two weeks for I will be there for good in Woodstock, GA..

Right up the street from me behotch................

I tried the tight fit too, but the autograph lines were to long. OK truthfully, I'm around 250 or so out the door, and I looked a lot like link sausage. I could've been a Jimmy Dean spokes model.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

like Rottenmilk said, the guys that know what they are doing in the air, are ordering tighter suits because it's easier to fly smoothly.

Baggy suit rocks you all the time, but it gives you that much needed balance in the begining, because of greater drag at arms/legs. once you mastered the balance in head-up or head-down and want to fly in close proximity (1-2 feet) and smoothly switch to tighter suit. by that time you'll probably know how to fly slow or fast without the baggy suit anyway...

if you choose the tight suit with 20 or so head-up or headdown jumps, i think you're simply making it hard for you. and all that just because the good guys have tighter suits and they look cool.

No matter how stupid it sounds but if all the good guys would wear pink suits, it would probably get cool and everybody would wear pink suit sooner or later :S
"George just lucky i guess!"

Baggy suit rocks you all the time, but it gives you that much needed balance in the begining, because of greater drag at arms/legs.

See, I think it's harder, for example, to teach someone to sit well in a baggy suit. Their legs keep getting blown up and they fight the suit all the time, not learn how to fly their body.

I just think it's the natural progression of Freeflying. After all we don't still have people buying baggy RW suits to learn.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

See, I think it's harder, for example, to teach someone to sit well in a baggy suit. Their legs keep getting blown up and they fight the suit all the time, not learn how to fly their body.

Yup. I was having a hell of a time staying stable in a sit in a "standard" cut suit - backsliding, orbiting, corking. There was just too much drag. The first jump on my new "trim" cut suit I was solid and able to take docks.

It's not fashion.

you're right.
for learning to sit fly, having greater drag at legs makes them harder to fly. but it's easier to fly HD. and for sit flying it's easier to fly when you have more drag at arms, but lt gives you problems with HD.

so for learning how to sit fly, people should wear baggy upper part of suit and tight around legs. and for HD vice versa.

but then again it's bad if you get in habit of flying only with your arms in sit (problems with grips later on), so then again maybe it's not so bad to start with tighter suit, right after you learn the position.

hmm... thinking...
"George just lucky i guess!"

yeah I found that once I got on a slimmer cut suit I could fly my sit with no arms :)

and do all sorts of fun stuff with my arms

cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.